1 round in chamber? or not? - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: 1 round in chamber? or not?

I've always liked auto's and have a couple around for home defence and carry one in the car for traveling.

But..... I really don't like having a round in the chamber. In compromise, I carry a 5 shot snubbie for my main carry gun. (With a speed loader back up.) Since the weapon is double action, I don't have to worry about the readiness of the weapon in the stress of confrontation.

Now, conversely, I do carry my .32 tomcat with one up the snout..... Because I load it with the rocking barrel setup. I KNOW what the "status" is.... plus I can fire it single or double action.

I know, a bit weird... but, I personally know of two incidents when I was in the Corps when the old 1911 went off unpredictably, "safety" devices not withstanding. Just don't trust them.

Old saying: If you are "afraid" of your weapon, best get one that you are NOT afraid of.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

A goblin can close a 20 foot gap and inflict a fatal blow or stab in about 1.5 seconds. The outcome is decided by tenths or even hundredths of a second so you can't be caught behind the reactionary cure. I carry a Glock G26 or G27 and I'm always chambered.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I struggle with this question a lot myself. I have been shooting handguns for 32 years, but have only recently been carrying autoloaders. I used to carry the weapon without one in the chamber at all times, relying on situational awareness to give me the time to chamber a round. My later training cured me of this. I still keep the chamber empty at home, but don't leave the house that way. I could go on about my reasoning for this, but I am not trying to change anyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo_rt View Post
    Waiting on CHL but I was wondering how many of you actually have a round in the chamber when you carry? the instructor recommended doing so for overall quickness if necessary, but Im not sure. My gun has a thumb safety and the trigger with the safety lever. Just wondering overall what you all think.
    Another reason I carry a revolver with the transfer bar feature. I dont have to think about this stuff. :)

If youve got a good double action semi auto like a Beretta 92 or the Taurus knockoff then you can have a chambered round without having to worry about having to have the hammer cocked.

The Taurus is a pretty good gun...safety on the frame instead of the slide makes it very easy to flip too.

Quote Originally Posted by Garand View Post
    In my revolvers the hammer sits on an empty chamber.
    The only reason to do that is if you have the old style with the firing pin built into the hammer. My old Smith 357 was like that and if it was dropped and hit just right it would certainly fire.
    But many guns have transfer bars these days...the hammer doesnt touch the firing pin ever.
    When the trigger is all the way back the transfer bar comes up and sits between the hammer and firing pin so when the hammer drops it hits the bar and the bar hits the pin and fires the round.
    But without the trigger being pulled the transfer bar sits too far down to allow any sort of contact with the firing pin.

Unless the trigger is pulled back there is ZERO chance with these guns of an accidental discharge, so there is zero reason to have any empty chambers :)

7. one down the pike

That one you took out could have been the one that could have saved your life. I carry a full load. If I know there is going I also carry my CT PUMP 500 mossburg and yes it it as a full load I do not care about the sound of racking one in. Ill take the sound of Boom over racking anyday. badbob

8. [QUOTE=badbob38;190139]That one you took out could have been the one that could have saved your life. I carry a full load. If I know there is going I also carry my CT PUMP 500 mossburg and yes it it as a full load I do not care about the sound of racking one in. Ill take the sound of Boom over racking anyday. badbob

Quote Originally Posted by badbob38 View Post
    I was born with a ccw, its called 11 Amendment to the Constitution of the USA. Go ahead and spend all your hard earned money. I have never pulled my gun and hope I never do. But if I do have to I will and no piece of paper will slow me down
    Please fill out your profile, What state are you in? I assume by your comment your in a constitutional carry state? Or are you just open about being a felon, which makes all of us look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Please fill out your profile, What state are you in? I assume by your comment your in a constitutional carry state? Or are you just open about being a felon, which makes all of us look bad.

He's just into The Judicial power of the United States shall not be construed to extend to any suit in law or equity, commenced or prosecuted against one of the United States by Citizens of another State, or by Citizens or Subjects of any Foreign State.(11th amendment US Constitution)?

BTW in quite a few states illegal carry is a misdemeanor not a felony
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    BTW in quite a few states illegal carry is a misdemeanor not a felony
    True, here (VA) is one of them since no permit to open carry is required, BUT we all fight for our rights and push the fact that WE follow the laws in place and not to screw with our rights since we've done nothing wrong, punish the criminal who breaks the gun laws. It doesn't help the cause when we start doing the same. Misdemeanor or not. I'm not going to compare misdemeanor carry to homicide with an illegal gun, but If we choose to follow only the laws we agree with, we ARE the same as the criminal. Doesn't matter the reason behind it.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast