Sheep, Sheep Dogs, and Wolves
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep, Sheep Dogs, and Wolves

Sheep, Sheep Dogs, and Wolves

This is a philosophy I recently heard from Nutnfancy on youtube. I believe fits very well with those who choose to assume the responsibility of Concealed Carry. Obviously, I believe he does a much better job of explaining it, but here I go.

Basically society is represented by three groups. The Sheep, the Sheep Dogs, and the Wolves.

The Sheep:

In a crisis these are the individuals who often stand by watching. For whatever reason they choose: not to intervene, don't become involved, don't believe they can make a difference, and so don't place themselves in the danger.

The Sheep Dogs:

These individuals aren't striking. They don't very often stand out from the other sheep around them, but when a crisis occurs something inside them can't stand idly by and do nothing. They are often Firemen, Police, or EMS, but not always. Sometimes they're just ordinary citizens who in a crisis leap to help another human being in danger often endangering themselves to save others. They're often called HERO after such events yet don't feel particularly heroic. They don't do it for fame or fortune, but rather because it needed to be done.

The Wolves:

These are societies worst nightmare. These individuals or groups choose to prey on others. Wherever they pass they seem to leave murder and mayhem in their wake. These are the mass murderer, the drug dealer, and the rapist. They feed on the suffering of others, and glory in the destruction their actions cause.

Essentially, the Sheep Dogs are societies protectors. They don't seek trouble, far from it. But when a crisis occurs they're prepared. Willing if necessary to place themselves in danger to save friends, family, and even complete strangers from the Wolves.

Tell me what you think?

Nutn fancy is full of crap

Grossman’s “Sheep, Sheepdogs and Wolves” was mainly directed at professional soldiers and police officers it was never intended to be a Raison d'ętre for concealed carry permit holders. It’s an analogy and like all analogies its flawed and you don’t have to take it too far to find the flaws.

Sheep are herd animals that are kept not out of the benevolent goodness of their owner’s heart but because they produce goods that benefit the owner and only the owner. Where do you think the term getting “fleeced” came from? Unproductive sheep are killed.

Sheepdogs are not part of the flock they are employed to impose the owner’s will on the sheep, by force if necessary. They guard the flock because it is of benefit to the owner and they have no qualms about herding the flock to a slaughterhouse if that is what the owner commands. Sheep dog is not an appellation I would care to have applied to me.

It has been my experience that those, in the permit holder community, who seek the title of sheepdog, tend to be authoritarians who use it as a means of self aggrandizement. They tend to derive their feelings of self worth from the position of quasi authority they assume their permit gives them. This is, of course, my opinion but I have also seen posters on gun boards state that our status as permit holders makes us defacto auxiliary police officers. As such I believe the sheepdog mythology is very, very dangerous to the gun owning community.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBear71 View Post
    This is a philosophy I recently heard from Nutnfancy on youtube. I believe fits very well with those who choose to assume the responsibility of Concealed Carry. Obviously, I believe he does a much better job of explaining it, but here I go.

Basically society is represented by three groups. The Sheep, the Sheep Dogs, and the Wolves.

The Sheep:

In a crisis these are the individuals who often stand by watching. For whatever reason they choose: not to intervene, don't become involved, don't believe they can make a difference, and so don't place themselves in the danger.

The Sheep Dogs:

These individuals aren't striking. They don't very often stand out from the other sheep around them, but when a crisis occurs something inside them can't stand idly by and do nothing. They are often Firemen, Police, or EMS, but not always. Sometimes they're just ordinary citizens who in a crisis leap to help another human being in danger often endangering themselves to save others. They're often called HERO after such events yet don't feel particularly heroic. They don't do it for fame or fortune, but rather because it needed to be done.

The Wolves:

These are societies worst nightmare. These individuals or groups choose to prey on others. Wherever they pass they seem to leave murder and mayhem in their wake. These are the mass murderer, the drug dealer, and the rapist. They feed on the suffering of others, and glory in the destruction their actions cause.

Essentially, the Sheep Dogs are societies protectors. They don't seek trouble, far from it. But when a crisis occurs they're prepared. Willing if necessary to place themselves in danger to save friends, family, and even complete strangers from the Wolves.

Tell me what you think?
    The guy is a full blown JOKE! He has made himself hated by millions. (Check out what Ar15.com thinks of this mall ninja) He makes a 30-50 min video on something that only needs 20mins at the most and repeats himself over and over. His over use of the word "Dude" makes me want to scream! He claims to be doing his videos for the "people" but yet the second someone calls him out on his BS they are banned. If someone asks something, that goes against the ideas he is peddling, they are harassed by his sister. When he first started he was a good guy with good videos, but as time went on he become more and more of an ass****! He is the school yard bully of youtube and uses his sister as his enforcer to make people conform to his way of thinking. While there are some that follow his spam a large portion of the gun community has been turned off by him. As can be seen while running a Google search on his youtube channel name (his real name and address came to light after his youtube account was hacked).

Nutnfancy vs SR9? - Ruger Forum
    Weapons Related: Nutnfancy
    Shotgunworld.com • View topic - nutnfancy gun reviews on youtube

Just to name a few forums who cant stand him(the list is almost endless).

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Grossman’s “Sheep, Sheepdogs and Wolves” was mainly directed at professional soldiers and police officers it was never intended to be a Raison d'ętre for concealed carry permit holders. It’s an analogy and like all analogies its flawed and you don’t have to take it too far to find the flaws.

Sheep are herd animals that are kept not out of the benevolent goodness of their owner’s heart but because they produce goods that benefit the owner and only the owner. Where do you think the term getting “fleeced” came from? Unproductive sheep are killed.

Sheepdogs are not part of the flock they are employed to impose the owner’s will on the sheep, by force if necessary. They guard the flock because it is of benefit to the owner and they have no qualms about herding the flock to a slaughterhouse if that is what the owner commands. Sheep dog is not an appellation I would care to have applied to me.

It has been my experience that those, in the permit holder community, who seek the title of sheepdog, tend to be authoritarians who use it as a means of self aggrandizement. They tend to derive their feelings of self worth from the position of quasi authority they assume their permit gives them. This is, of course, my opinion but I have also seen posters on gun boards state that our status as permit holders makes us defacto auxiliary police officers. As such I believe the sheepdog mythology is very, very dangerous to the gun owning community.
    Outstanding post as usual +10. The only thing that sets us permit holders apart from other citizens, is we have decided to take our self preservation into our own hands. Instead of doing what society says we should do (dial 911 and and wait for them to ID our body). Don't get me started on the whole "needing a permit" to use a right given to all of us at birth by our founding fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Don't get me started on the whole "needing a permit" to use a right given to all of us at birth by God.

Fixed it for you
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Hey TREO:Could not agree more your Post #2. All you have to do is read thru dozens of replies on these forums and get scared out your mind. I do think (and hope), however, that many of these "sheepdog" comments come easily when you are sitting in your underwear at a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey TREO:Could not agree more your Post #2. All you have to do is read thru dozens of replies on these forums and get scared out your mind. I do think (and hope), however, that many of these "sheepdog" comments come easily when you are sitting in your underwear at a computer.
    They luuuuuv nutnfancy and the whole sheep dog trip over at Defensivecarry.com

Well, that was certainly a spirited response. lol Thank you, Treo. Honest arguements are always welcome.

S&WM&P40, I don't know anything about any animosity between Nutnfancy and the CCW community. And personally I could care less.

My interest was to hear your personal opinions. And for that I thank you, but whether others agree with him or not is beside the point.

If you're going to argue his ideas on the merits... Cool, I'm all for that. But making accusations about what may or may not have occured elsewhere just undermines your arguement.

Character assassination is pathetic. If you want to discredit him attack his ideas... Not him.

That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBear71 View Post
    Well, that was certainly a spirited response. lol Thank you, Treo. Honest arguements are always welcome.

S&WM&P40, I don't know anything about any animosity between Nutnfancy and the CCW community. And personally I could care less.

My interest was to hear your personal opinions. And for that I thank you, but whether others agree with him or not is beside the point.

If you're going to argue his ideas on the merits... Cool, I'm all for that. But making accusations about what may or may not have occured elsewhere just undermines your arguement.

Character assassination is pathetic. If you want to discredit him attack his ideas... Not him.

That's my opinion.
    The idea your asking us to argue isn't nutnfancy's in the first place, it came from a guy named David Grossman a retired LTC who has also been mostly discredited in recent years because he tends to hyberpole.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    They luuuuuv nutnfancy and the whole sheep dog trip over at Defensivecarry.com
    LOL! Like I said, he does have his share of brain dead worshipers who would do anything for him. But as a whole most of the firearm community can't stand him (most forums/people I have talked to that is.) I do think that is, one main reason for some people who want/hold permits (the whole power trip.) All the threads on CCW badges points at that. Or the people who say if they had to draw their firearm they would also draw their permit and state "CCW holder" LMAO!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast