What would you say to a restaurant with a "No Gun's" sign? - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 142

Thread: What would you say to a restaurant with a "No Gun's" sign?

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Private property owner has ability to restrict entry to the property for any reason he/she wishes, I have the right not to shop.

  2.   
  3. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    Comparing the legal carrying of a gun to speeding? My property goes out to the double yellow line of my 55mph street. I put up a home made sign in front of my house "45mph". You ignore it and I get a LEO to ticket you for 10 over. Your OK with that?
    You are mis-stating this example. If you "Own" the street, you can set a limit on it, but LEO has no authority to enforce it, as they only enforce the speed limit on public streets or on streets that have an agreement with the governing body (i.e. city, town, county, etc). The point is that whether you get caught or not, if you knowingly violate the property owners wishes, its still wrong. Its already written into law that carrying a weapon onto private in defiance of the property owners wishes is a crime.

    I will stipulate that I don't know if this is the case in every state. Even if it is not, it's pretty damn rude and inconsiderate of the property owners wishes to do so. I still say that if they don't want you to carry on their property, don't spend your money there until you or someone changes the owners mind about carry.

  4. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    Choices, we all have choices..........
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  5. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    There is no Ohio law making a private sign a law. If there is cite please.
    Ohio law says Im NOT permitted to enter a posted business.
    If youre in Ohio and a CHL holder and dont know that fact I suggest you RE take your classes.

    page 17 of the AGs handbook;
    Signage
    The law does not say precisely what language must be on the sign. At a minimum, signs must be conspicuous and inform people that firearms and/or concealed handguns are prohibited. However, the law suggests that the prohibited locations post a sign that substantially says the following:
    Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person’s control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly handgun or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.
    An example of a standard warning sign approved for use on state buildings appears below.
    If you see this sign, it means that you cannot bring your concealed handgun inside.
    Businesses and persons wishing to post such signs are strongly advised to consult their legal counsel for language, style, format and placement.
    Easy enough?
    Pretty scary if you DIDNT know that much seeing that you were REQUIRED to study that book in order to even get your CHL here in Ohio.

    I can make a sign that says 'No Guns' and you would be breaking the law to enter my house or property with a gun here.

    Yes they have the 'right' to but everywhere I know of someone needs to 'verbally' ask you to leave.
    No, NOT if you were FOREWARNED that you were not allowed to bring a gun.
    Try it sometime.
    Tell ya what....Im inviting you to my house....but Im telling you beforehand you CANT come armed.
    Do it anyway and lets see if I call the cops if you just blow it off or not.

    Ohio law is not the same as other states where you might be allowed to ignore gunbuster signs and other "notice" that carrying is prohibited.



    Comparing the legal carrying of a gun to speeding?
    comparing ignoring one of two rules.

    My property goes out to the double yellow line of my 55mph street. I put up a home made sign in front of my house "45mph". You ignore it and I get a LEO to ticket you for 10 over. Your OK with that?
    come up with ridiculous examples much?
    YOU dont OWN the street, so YOUR signs then are irrelevant.
    In YOUR house or property though, YOUR word is law.
    That you seem to be against such a concept makes me wonder.

  6. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    This may surprise some people on this board but I would ignore the sign. I have in the past and will again in the future. In Florida (and most other states I believe) I'm not committing a crime unless I'm asked to leave and then refuse. Then I'm tresspassing. I wouldn't refuse. If they saw my gun (that's a misdameanor) and asked me to leave, I'd comply.

    There is no law against carrying on private property....only for refusing to leave when told to.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  7. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    This may surprise some people on this board but I would ignore the sign. I have in the past and will again in the future. In Florida (and most other states I believe) I'm not committing a crime unless I'm asked to leave and then refuse. Then I'm tresspassing. I wouldn't refuse. If they saw my gun (that's a misdameanor) and asked my to leave, I'd comply.

    There is no law against carrying on private property....only for refusing to leave when told to.
    It appears that in Ohio it is a misdemeanor to ignore a no-carry sign.

  8. In my home state, IF they notice my gun, they can ask me to leave. If I don't leave, THEN I'm trespassing.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Interestingly, all your statements of how my pistol does( present tense) harm you are followed by what if's of how it could (future tense) harm you . IOW not how it is( Definetely) harming you but how it might(possibly if all the stars align) harm you. IOW how it (just as I said) isn't harming you. the only thing that's harmed is your authoritarian attitude

    I'll continue to carry thanks.

    My attitude isn't the problem. The problem is that: your lack of respect for the rights of others is giving the rest of us firearm owners a bad name.

    The type of entry to your private property is irrelevant to your private property rights.

    You can bar someone from your house for no other reason than it is private property. As can the Merchant.

    I'm an NRA Life Member and a Constitutionalist that carries a pistol and a copy of the Constitution everywhere I legally can (like you) except I respect private property rights and the wishes of others on their property even if I disagree and think they are stupid.

    As far as "future tense" that's why we carry pistols in the first place. Because of what could happen if all the stars align a certain way.

    I carry my .45 on my hip not just because the law says I can; but because of what might happen in that "future tense." It's all about that "future tense." There are thousands of possibilities. I don't pretend to know all of them.

    The truth (and the point I was trying to make by all the hypothetical "future tense" examples ) is that: neither of us can truthfully state that: our pistol will never ever injure the owner's prized beenie baby collection or one of the owners customers by an accidental discharge or by having a criminal disarm us and use our pistol for harm rather than for good.

    Nor can the owner truthfully state that their customers will be safe if he bans law abiding pistols from his property; thereby creating a "gun free zone".

    He has to make the choice as to which he fears most. A Plaxico Burris accidentally shooting one of his customers. OR. An armed criminal conducting live target practice in his "gun free zone."

    So. I honour his wishes and go someplace else.

    Honestly: why would I want to give my Hard Earned Cashy Money to this merchant so he can Donate it to The Brady Anti Gun Rights Campaign...

  10. #109
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eastern Colorado
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    It appears that in Ohio it is a misdemeanor to ignore a no-carry sign.
    Sucks to live in OH.

    Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    My attitude isn't the problem. The problem is that: your lack of respect for the rights of others is giving the rest of us firearm owners a bad name.

    The type of entry to your private property is irrelevant to your private property rights.

    You can bar someone from your house for no other reason than it is private property. As can the Merchant.

    I'm an NRA Life Member and a Constitutionalist that carries a pistol and a copy of the Constitution everywhere I legally can (like you) except I respect private property rights and the wishes of others on their property even if I disagree and think they are stupid.

    As far as "future tense" that's why we carry pistols in the first place. Because of what could happen if all the stars align a certain way.

    I carry my .45 on my hip not just because the law says I can; but because of what might happen in that "future tense." It's all about that "future tense." There are thousands of possibilities. I don't pretend to know all of them.

    The truth (and the point I was trying to make by all the hypothetical "future tense" examples ) is that: neither of us can truthfully state that: our pistol will never ever injure the owner's prized beenie baby collection or one of the owners customers by an accidental discharge or by having a criminal disarm us and use our pistol for harm rather than for good.

    Nor can the owner truthfully state that their customers will be safe if he bans law abiding pistols from his property; thereby creating a "gun free zone".

    He has to make the choice as to which he fears most. A Plaxico Burris accidentally shooting one of his customers. OR. An armed criminal conducting live target practice in his "gun free zone."

    So. I honour his wishes and go someplace else.

    Honestly: why would I want to give my Hard Earned Cashy Money to this merchant so he can Donate it to The Brady Anti Gun Rights Campaign...
    I guess I do have a lack of respect for the rights of others if you want to call it that. I will completely ignore those types of signs if I can not avoid going into that business. I will cover up but I will not remove my weapon. This is usually moot because in general I will not spend money at a place that has these signs.

    I agree with others that when a business is open to the general public they get just that, the public. If they want to mandate certain rules then they can make entry into their business by membership only. Then they can make whatever rules they want.

    How many of you have been into a mall? If you have you walked by a sign listing at least 20 different behaviors that are not allowed in the mall. I would bet money that everyone here has broken at least one of the rules posted.

    My point is that the posting of rules is more of a request to the general public on how to behave in that business. However, entry into the premises is not conditional on the general publics acceptance of those rules (unless your unfortunate enough to live in OH).
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

  11. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Private property owner has ability to restrict entry to the property for any reason he/she wishes, I have the right not to shop.
    Absolutely agree.
    No shirt, no shoes, no service.
    Simple as that

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast