What would you say to a restaurant with a "No Gun's" sign? - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you say to a restaurant with a "No Gun's" sign?

1. I vote with my Wallet

I Vote with my Wallet. It's Really Simple. If the Merchant doesn't want my business: I go someplace else. Life is simple. If everyone did the same. The merchant would go out of business and we'd have a chance for a friendlier establishment in it's place.

This has been an interesting thread.

Since I wish my rights to be observed I won't enter a business that is posted No Guns. As I stated in my other post, I would write a letter to the owner, but would not go in.

I have yet to see a single posting in California. I do travel quite a bit but still, never seen one here. I have seen them in Az and Tx. Usually at resturants. I did not go in.

Quote Originally Posted by brolin1911a1 View Post
    Recently, the Price Chopper store in my area put a No Firearms sign on the front door at eye level. We've had CCW in Missouri for almost seven years now so it was a bit of a shock to suddenly see that sign appear.

I'd parked in a spot in front of the windows where I could see my car. So I went back to the car, locked my gun in the console, and went in to the store and asked to speak to the manager. I told him that I was sorry to see that he no longer wanted to see "my kind" in his store and handed him a "No guns = No $$$" card, one of those available free from Free "No Guns, No Money" Cards . (That card is Missouri-specific but I understand similar cards are available elsewhere on the 'net.)

He of course asked what I meant . As he looked at the card, I pointed out that any crazed person with an attitude, a rap sheet as long as his arm, and a grudge would be in no way stopped by his sign. Such a person is already carrying illegally and used to ignoring societies mores. A No Guns sign would have no effect upon that person.

I told him that the only people he could expect to honor his sign were people who had spent money to obtain training in firearms and firearms laws. These people had spent money applying for their CCW permits. We had undergone background checks, in Missouri a triple check through by the local sheriff, the MSHP, and the FBI. And we had spent up to $100 in fees to the sheriff to get that permit to be able to legally carry. By putting up that sign, he's saying that he is more afraid of people like me than he is of the sort of sociopath who ignores all of society's rules.

Furthermore, I said, honest CCW people do prevent and/or stop crimes. The Family Dollar store next door to him has had a tiny "no guns" sign in a lower corner of their window for years. I told him how ironic I'd found that when, a few years ago, a shopper was attacked by a man in front of a Family Dollar in Tupelo, MS. The news report said as many as twenty people had stood around shouting at the man, honking their car horns at him, and dialing 911 as he continued stabbing the woman. None of those "recommended" actions worked. What stopped the assault and saved her life was a man who pulled a gun and ordered the attacker to stop now and lie on the pavement or he was going to have his f'ing head blown off. And this occurred in front of a store whose chain has that No Guns sign as a corporate policy.

Furthermore, I said, he's requiring unsafe behavior of my and "my kind." To come in and talk to him while honoring his sign, I had to unholster while in my car, not the easiest of actions while carrying concealed in my normal manner. Upon leaving, I was going to have to reholster, thus unnecessarily handling the gun twice. Without his sign, the gun would have stayed safely, securely, and discreetly in its holster threatening no one. Furthermore, it was now in my car posing a risk of theft if the car were to be stolen or broken into while I'm in the store.

I then concluded by telling him that he had an excellent store with a good selection and good prices there and I enjoyed shopping there. But there isn't enough difference between it and the store a few blocks away to justify disarming just to shop there. Instead, I would be honoring his wishes in the future by taking my money to the nearby Country Mart.

The next morning I received a phone call from the store manager telling me that he'd thought about the points I'd made and he wanted to let me know that he'd taken the sign back down shortly after I'd left.
    Well done!!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Dear Mr. XxXxX

My family, friends and I have enjoyed eating at your fine establishment for the last XxXx years. We have always found XxXxX a place where we could relax and enjoy a great meal.

Yesterday, while entering XxXxX I noticed a new sign indicating you no longer wish your law abiding patrons to enter your establishment while carrying a firearm. This troubled me greatly for now my family, friends and I will have to select another restaurant. We can no longer feel relaxed at XxXxX since we cannot protect ourselves.

By the way, you do understand that by posting that sign you have told all the criminals that no one in XxXxX can defend themselves against robbery and or murder. You have essentially told them you and your restaurant is defenseless.

Thanks for your time.

Joe Blow
    well said

6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I would ignore the sign
    And then call you to bail him out and pay his legal fees when he's arrested for trespassing with a firearm?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    This has been an interesting thread.

Since I wish my rights to be observed I won't enter a business that is posted No Guns. As I stated in my other post, I would write a letter to the owner, but would not go in.

I have yet to see a single posting in California. I do travel quite a bit but still, never seen one here. I have seen them in Az and Tx. Usually at resturants. I did not go in.
    Just to be clear - your "rights" are not necessarily applicable on *private property*. I keep harping on this point only because it's not going to make anyone feel better (business owners) if people keep asserting that their right to carry a gun is greater than the rights of private property owners.

You may find you get farther if you start from a place of respect for the business owners rights.

8. Thumbs down

The business owner has the right to say what can and can't be done on his property.

Kinda like we have the right to carry a firearm for self defense.

I, personally, don't see the logic in denying someone THEIR rights as a property owner so I can exercise what I see as MY rights as an individual.

Sorry, my hypocrisy doesn't go that far. It's their place, follow their rules or just don't go there. Remember, your rights end at the end of your nose. When they start interfering with the rights of others, YOU are the one in the wrong.

9. If timely, tell in person, if not a letter

I agree that ignoring the sign puts myself at risk. Depending upon the store, I might take the time to go speak to a manager. More often, I would note the address and send a letter like the ones shown.

I agree property owners have property rights. I know ignorance can maim or kill too. We can strive to politely educate business owners of the risks associated with their choices. I suspect the sign was put up because someone asked the owner to do it. I recall Starbucks being in the spot light for supporting carry in their stores. Ignorance of the safe carry of weapons can be cured by education or an assault. There are many who believe they live in a friendly community where assaults or robberies do not happen. They need educating. If it is a chain store educating the parent company is very important.

While I do not carry and drink (designated driver can) I would notify the owner I would no longer frequent his establishment in a nice manner. Someone posting a straight no guns sign creates problem, this would also prevent LEO's from entry unless a specific state exemption applied. It would also notify BG (Criminals=Outside the Law) they have easy pickings at his establishment I would not risk my family is such a place. Would also post name of establishment. When Texas first passed the CC law a local very busy (several outlets) posted such a sign and within weeks when word got out this was changed and they now allow CC.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketboy View Post
    Just to be clear - your "rights" are not necessarily applicable on *private property*. I keep harping on this point only because it's not going to make anyone feel better (business owners) if people keep asserting that their right to carry a gun is greater than the rights of private property owners.

You may find you get farther if you start from a place of respect for the business owners rights.
    I think you read something into my post that just isn' there Rocket Boy. So I guess I'll state it a bit clearer.

It's his right to post the sign and my right to go some place else. I'd just let him know in a nice way why I no longer spend my money in his place.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast