What would you say to a restaurant with a "No Gun's" sign? - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 142

Thread: What would you say to a restaurant with a "No Gun's" sign?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arapahoe County CO
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    I wouldn't say anything or write anything.
    Me too. Management that puts up an anti-gun sign demonstrates a lack of ability for critical thought, therefore they cannot be persuaded by any logical argument.

    My definition of a good restaurant includes having no anti-gun policies. So I would simply vote with my feet.
    Last edited by Anubis; 02-07-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: change e to y

  2.   
  3. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Me too. Management that puts up an anti-gun sign demonstrates a lack of ability for critical thought, therefore they cannot be persuaded by any logical argument.

    My definition of a good restaurant includes having no anti-gun policies. So I would simple vote with my feet.
    Anubis, dude! Long time no see
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  4. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Me too. Management that puts up an anti-gun sign demonstrates a lack of ability for critical thought, therefore they cannot be persuaded by any logical argument.

    My definition of a good restaurant includes having no anti-gun policies. So I would simple vote with my feet.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that they've demonstrated an inability to think rationally. Perhaps they've just never been introduced to a rational counter viewpoint that encouraged them to think rationally. I know of several property owners who have, upon presentation of a calm, rational, counter viewpoint removed their signs.

    But, so long as the sign remains, common courtesy on OUR part (we do want to retain the moral high ground, no?) would dictate that we honor their wishes by taking our trade elsewhere. Other than the smallest, most remote one-horse towns there is always a competitor who will happily welcome us and take our money. Go there after politely and with appropriate regrets, letting he proprietor with the NO GUNS sign know that you'll really miss trading at his establishment and hope he'll change his mind.

    But always remember, it's his property and his right to set the conditions under which you are welcome there.

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    High Desert, Kern County, California
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketboy View Post
    You spoke of your "right" to carry. What I'm saying is that on private property that "right" does not necessarily exist. Or, rather is not recognized.

    Using language like "I won't shop here because you don't respect my 2nd Amendment right," or "I will not spend money here because you are infringing on my rights" may make things worse because it gives the impression that your rights are more important than those of the private property owner, when quite frankly they're not. At least not according to the law.

    If a private property owner posts a "no guns" sign then they are not infringing on your rights. They are exercising theirs.

    All I'm saying it that it may be better to stick to the facts about why "gun free zones" are a fallacy and to highlight the virtues of concealed carry licensees. Rather that spewing rhetoric about *your rights* vs. their rights. It will only make you and everyone else look bad.

    Rocket Boy,


    Please do not imply that your " "'s above are from me. Please review my three posts on this subject I have placed below. If you are going to quote someone I'd make sure it was a quote.


    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1st post

    Dear Mr. XxXxX

    My family, friends and I have enjoyed eating at your fine establishment for the last XxXx years. We have always found XxXxX a place where we could relax and enjoy a great meal.

    Yesterday, while entering XxXxX I noticed a new sign indicating you no longer wish your law abiding patrons to enter your establishment while carrying a firearm. This troubled me greatly for now my family, friends and I will have to select another restaurant. We can no longer feel relaxed at XxXxX since we cannot protect ourselves.

    By the way, you do understand that by posting that sign you have told all the criminals that no one in XxXxX can defend themselves against robbery and or murder. You have essentially told them you and your restaurant is defenseless.

    Thanks for your time.

    Joe Blow

    ----------------------------------------------------

    2nd post


    This has been an interesting thread.

    Since I wish my rights to be observed I won't enter a business that is posted No Guns. As I stated in my other post, I would write a letter to the owner, but would not go in.

    I have yet to see a single posting in California. I do travel quite a bit but still, never seen one here. I have seen them in Az and Tx. Usually at resturants. I did not go in.

    ----------------------------------------------
    3rd post



    I think you read something into my post that just isn' there Rocket Boy. So I guess I'll state it a bit clearer.

    It's his right to post the sign and my right to go some place else. I'd just let him know in a nice way why I no longer spend my money in his place.

    Nothing more, nothing less.

  6. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    Has Anyone ever known a store or restaurant to put a metal detector in.

    This seems logistically a nightmare .Would they than frisk everyone who comes in with a set of keys? Would there be restaurant security? Guess i just don't see this happening.It would not only prevent ccw but would scare away sheeple patrons as well.
    Don't say that to loud. 30yr ago we said that about cameras.

    They are hoping the BGs are stupid, is what I am saying.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

  7. #56
    Good bye
    Roy
    Dacono CO
    CCW, Ruger LCR, Winchester 94, S&W 686-3

  8. #57
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I absolutely respect the right of a home owner to dictate what is and isn't acceptable on their property.

    A business that is open to the public has no right to override my right to life and the defense there of.

    As a responsible gun owner I conduct my business in public daily, with no one the wiser that I am armed.

    Please tell me how the mere posession of a firearm by a responsible gun owner on the premises of businees violates the owner's property rights?
    Quote Originally Posted by billv View Post
    +1 on that.

    A person's home is his castle and he can do what he wants with it. The owner invites who he wants on his property and is (should be) wary of those not invited.

    But business/commercial property isn't a castle. The public is generally invited onto the property, and the more that come the better for the business owner. But usually with little regard to their security, if any. I avoid doing business with them, if at all possible.
    Any business owner has the right to restrict his customers in any way he pleases. It is his business and he owns it. Now it may not be in his best interests to restrict the public from carrying firearms on his premises, but he can do so. I have thrown folks out of my businesses before and told them to never return, and it was my right to do so.

    He can restrict his customers in any way as long as he does not violate the specific restrictions as determined by the SCOTUS, such as race, religion, sex etc.

    A business owner can say that no one in shorts can come into his business. He has that right, may not make good sense, but he has that right.

    Our response can be to exercise our right to not patronize his business.

    If the sign says no guns, then just don't go there. No one is making you go there. If your concern is about protection yourself and your family by carrying a firearm, don't enter businesses that restrict your carrying there. Personally, I would not want to go into such a restricted environment anyway.

    JMHO

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
    Any business owner has the right to restrict his customers in any way he pleases. It is his business and he owns it. Now it may not be in his best interests to restrict the public from carrying firearms on his premises, but he can do so. I have thrown folks out of my businesses before and told them to never return, and it was my right to do so.

    He can restrict his customers in any way as long as he does not violate the specific restrictions as determined by the SCOTUS, such as race, religion, sex etc.

    A business owner can say that no one in shorts can come into his business. He has that right, may not make good sense, but he has that right.

    Our response can be to exercise our right to not patronize his business.

    If the sign says no guns, then just don't go there. No one is making you go there. If your concern is about protection yourself and your family by carrying a firearm, don't enter businesses that restrict your carrying there. Personally, I would not want to go into such a restricted environment anyway.

    JMHO
    If I’m carrying a concealed weapon it affects no one but me. No one else is even going to know unless I have to draw. A business owner has the right to run his business as he sees fit but not to the point that he's telling me I can't do something that has no effect on anyone else in the establishment.


    If I enter your place of business with my Firearm it will remain in its holster on my hip unless needed. My mere possession of a firearm does not infringe on your right to life or liberty, It will not affect your ability to make money that day, and It will not drive your customers away (I never advocated the open display of a firearm in a Criminal Protection Zone).

    The rule (and any such like it) is illogical because the criminals aren’t going to follow it anyway. What do you supposed would have happen if one of Cho Sung Hui’s teachers had jumped in front of him and said “ Now Cho, you know there’s a school rule against bringing guns to class.” Do you think he’d have said ‘OOPS s I forgot. “ And put the gun down?

    My obedience to your sign could cost me my life or serious bodily injury (real, measurable harm) for which I doubt very seriously you would compensate my survivors.

    However, my disobedience to your sign actually affects you, how?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    but educating ignorant people about legal carry is the most important in my opinion.
    An odd statement coming from someone who has advocated, and admitted to breaking the law.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by Desert Dude View Post
    Rocket Boy,


    Please do not imply that your " "'s above are from me. Please review my three posts on this subject I have placed below. If you are going to quote someone I'd make sure it was a quote.


    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1st post

    Dear Mr. XxXxX

    My family, friends and I have enjoyed eating at your fine establishment for the last XxXx years. We have always found XxXxX a place where we could relax and enjoy a great meal.

    Yesterday, while entering XxXxX I noticed a new sign indicating you no longer wish your law abiding patrons to enter your establishment while carrying a firearm. This troubled me greatly for now my family, friends and I will have to select another restaurant. We can no longer feel relaxed at XxXxX since we cannot protect ourselves.

    By the way, you do understand that by posting that sign you have told all the criminals that no one in XxXxX can defend themselves against robbery and or murder. You have essentially told them you and your restaurant is defenseless.

    Thanks for your time.

    Joe Blow

    ----------------------------------------------------

    2nd post


    This has been an interesting thread.

    Since I wish my rights to be observed I won't enter a business that is posted No Guns. As I stated in my other post, I would write a letter to the owner, but would not go in.

    I have yet to see a single posting in California. I do travel quite a bit but still, never seen one here. I have seen them in Az and Tx. Usually at resturants. I did not go in.

    ----------------------------------------------
    3rd post



    I think you read something into my post that just isn' there Rocket Boy. So I guess I'll state it a bit clearer.

    It's his right to post the sign and my right to go some place else. I'd just let him know in a nice way why I no longer spend my money in his place.

    Nothing more, nothing less.
    The quotes were not to quote you specifically but rather to illustrate the way you and others here were talking. But since you asked:

    "Since I wish my rights to be observed..."

    You used the *my rights* rhetoric I was talking about. Again, on private property *your rights* are not necessarily the same as they are on public property.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast