My first scary experience - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My first scary experience

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
    However the Revolutionary War was exactly that...a war against oppression, as was the Civil War, WWI/WWII, etc I have to say (between friends) that I have wanted to show someone a thing or two myself, too. However, with my job, I also see the other side as well. The Constitution / Amendments set Acts Of War and Criminal Acts as something very different. So, yes, I agree with the Revolutionary War issue.
    As far as 'Predators prey on the weak and timid, they fear the strong.' and 'Where I came from, if you turned the other cheek, you got punched again. You turned and walked away, you got attacked from behind.", I also agree with that and see your side. I'm from New York originally, so I got my butt kicked countless times before I learned to defend myself. I'm also a history nut, hence my understanding of the Revolutionary and Civil wars.
    From a friend, I don't wish prison for you. From an LEO standpoint, I cannot give you legal advice, especially that kind, however personal advice is okay.
    I'm just a friend trying to help coach aanother friend. I hope you realize that. I intend no offense to you or anyone else.
    Well my use of the revolutionary war was to point out that more men were men then than now, we have been in slow decline since. I could go so deep into this subject and it's causes, but that should be saved for another thread.

I appreciate your intentions, no offense taken, but I won't land myself in jail. I know my state's laws very well. In fact a common phrase is, "A Kentuckian never runs" and our laws reflect that. If you are justified in SD, you don't even have to so much as worry about a civil suit, let alone criminal charges. You can't even be arrested on scene, without RAS that it was not a case of SD.

In the OP's situation, I could have stopped the car and stepped out, letting them come to me. If there had been one, I could have whipped their butt and they would go to jail if LE showed up. If there had been more than one, I could shoot everyone of them, except the last one (unless he had a weapon, was exceptionally larger, or showed to be a trained fighter), whom I would have to fight.

The criminally minded have many things to fear here.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

It's sort of disturbing to see just how many people really have the wrong idea of what carrying a firearm really means. Your responsibility as a CCW permit holder is not to "teach people a lesson" or to "be a man", it offers you the legal right to defend yourself in the event you fear for your life or great bodily harm. At least that's how it's written in MN.

Having someone following you in your car and acting like a jackass in no way shape or form poses a threat of death or great bodily harm. Now it could turn into that, but just in general no. If you think it's a good idea to jump out and teach them a lesson, well you'll be dead or in jail soon enough.

The best take away from the article posted about the FL incident...

"Something upset the victim enough to provoke him to get out of his car," Concepcion said. "Whatever it was, was it really worth having somebody dead right now? Was it really worth it for him to lose his life?"

What should be edited there is of course "Victim" to get out of his car as he wasn't the victim the driver that shot him was. He was the aggressor.

But the point is...do you really want to live with the fact that you killed someone over a traffic dispute? Sure you may not be charged with a crime, you may not be injured, but you'll have to live with the fact that you killed someone over tail gating and being an ass.

What if you get out, the other guy has a gun and shoots you, you shoot back kill him but you end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. You'll always wonder how much better it would have been to just pick up the phone dial 911 and hook up with the cops.

Now if that all breaks down and you have NO OTHER OPTION. Well, THAT is why you have a CCW.

A REAL man would be wise enough to know this....

Quote Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
    It's sort of disturbing to see just how many people really have the wrong idea of what carrying a firearm really means. Your responsibility as a CCW permit holder is not to "teach people a lesson" or to "be a man", it offers you the legal right to defend yourself in the event you fear for your life or great bodily harm. At least that's how it's written in MN.

Having someone following you in your car and acting like a jackass in no way shape or form poses a threat of death or great bodily harm. Now it could turn into that, but just in general no. If you think it's a good idea to jump out and teach them a lesson, well you'll be dead or in jail soon enough.

The best take away from the article posted about the FL incident...

"Something upset the victim enough to provoke him to get out of his car," Concepcion said. "Whatever it was, was it really worth having somebody dead right now? Was it really worth it for him to lose his life?"

What should be edited there is of course "Victim" to get out of his car as he wasn't the victim the driver that shot him was. He was the aggressor.

But the point is...do you really want to live with the fact that you killed someone over a traffic dispute? Sure you may not be charged with a crime, you may not be injured, but you'll have to live with the fact that you killed someone over tail gating and being an ass.

What if you get out, the other guy has a gun and shoots you, you shoot back kill him but you end up in a wheel chair for the rest of your life. You'll always wonder how much better it would have been to just pick up the phone dial 911 and hook up with the cops.

Now if that all breaks down and you have NO OTHER OPTION. Well, THAT is why you have a CCW.

A REAL man would be wise enough to know this....
    Look, I don't believe in running away from any fight, never have, never will and it hasn't killed me or landed me in jail yet.

How many stories do you think there are of people calling the cops, filing EPOs, dealing with them being arrested, they get out and then the victim ends up dead anyway?

You confront your adversary and they either put up or shut up, end of story. If they are gonna kill me, I'd rather it be face to face than from behind, or when I'm not expecting it, like some animal for slaughter.

Your assuming I would escalate the situation against a single opponent by drawing my firearm first. If they are gonna shoot me without me shooting first, they were gonna shoot me anyway. Against multiple opponents? Yep I would draw and order them to stop and then fire if they did not. If one of them got the bead on me, then I guess it was my time. But truth be told, if there are MULTIPLE opponents...lol I got something better than my sidearm.

As far as feeling bad about shooting someone....not really, not if they deserved it and that's a high bar for me. But once they've crossed that line, I'll sleep just fine.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I get the feeling...

that no matter what we all say, Unfettered Might will never change his mind. Sorry Buddy, but I guess it's obvious....I call things the way I see them. You do, also, which is the beauty of the First Amendment. Let's all hope to God that caps don't try to change THAT one....

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
    that no matter what we all say, Unfettered Might will never change his mind. Sorry Buddy, but I guess it's obvious....I call things the way I see them. You do, also, which is the beauty of the First Amendment. Let's all hope to God that caps don't try to change THAT one....
    Couldn't agree more and I respect your resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarheadcool View Post
    This site has me wondering what kind of ******* are out there carrying. Unless you are a female pull over, if they come at you with a weapon you do the same. If they don't ,bring the knuckles. Don't ccw to make up for a lack of balls.
    If you're gonna be dumb...you better be tough.

Yeah, I would have dialed 1911!

I mean 911
    Billy

Talking Agree

Defiantly call 911, and get the cops on their tails, and yours. If there is a next time, drive to the police station if you can. I live in a rural part of Mississippi, and know that it's not always pratical to drive out of the way like that, but if it saves your life...
    If they would have run you off the road, would you have time to call 911, or get to your gun?
    So many crazy people in the world.
    Another thing I would like to add: I'm glad that nothing happened to you, but there's a reason you carry that gun... probably the same reason a lot of us do. And it's not beacuse were some jerk off bully trying to be a bigwig.
    TC, be safe. handle well.

Thumbs up have to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Look, I don't believe in running away from any fight, never have, never will and it hasn't killed me or landed me in jail yet.

How many stories do you think there are of people calling the cops, filing EPOs, dealing with them being arrested, they get out and then the victim ends up dead anyway?

You confront your adversary and they either put up or shut up, end of story. If they are gonna kill me, I'd rather it be face to face than from behind, or when I'm not expecting it, like some animal for slaughter.

Your assuming I would escalate the situation against a single opponent by drawing my firearm first. If they are gonna shoot me without me shooting first, they were gonna shoot me anyway. Against multiple opponents? Yep I would draw and order them to stop and then fire if they did not. If one of them got the bead on me, then I guess it was my time. But truth be told, if there are MULTIPLE opponents...lol I got something better than my sidearm.

As far as feeling bad about shooting someone....not really, not if they deserved it and that's a high bar for me. But once they've crossed that line, I'll sleep just fine.
    You can only take so much crap in life! And I agree, with you totally.

11. It always seems that the drama always happens to a newbie with only 7 posts.
    I have to take this incident with a grain of salt. Get some training and learn situational awareness and don't read into a situation what is not there.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast