My first scary experience - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My first scary experience

1. Another nube chiming in. Here's an interesting, real video of a similar situation. the bad guys were filming the chase. The guy tried to out run them, but got caught on a dead end street.

Situations can always be handled differently, we all have our opinions. I have been in plenty of scraps in my time. I am not worried about standing my ground. As a ccw, or oc, we have an obligation to ourselves, our families & our communities to be responsible, & most importantly SURVIVE. Not to be the baddest! The gun is a last resort, when all else fails. For me, it's all about making sure I get home safely for my family.

Just my nubie opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    It always seems that the drama always happens to a newbie with only 7 posts.
    I have to take this incident with a grain of salt. Get some training and learn situational awareness and don't read into a situation what is not there.
    Newbie or not, COMMON Sense, Survival of the Fittest, smartest, etc. should be key here.
    And how can you assess the situation if you were not involved? Talk about reading something that isn't there. Take it with a grain of salt, pepper and some other spices if you like, obviously it didn't happen to you, and if it did, I'm sure you would have shot first and asked questions later.

Good call, nubie!

"Just my nubie opinion."
    Good call 3dburns! Anti-gunners are looking to hang you and will use any chance they can get. Only one bad incident can make all of us look bad, too. All the Rambo-types make us look bad.
    A buddy gave me a t-shirt;
    You have the right to remain silent
    Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you
    This applies to the anti-gunners, biased jurors, politicians, etc. It can be based on all the Bernard Goetz and Jered Lee Loughner types.
    Everyone, please be mindful of what you say in public and to whom you say it. Also be mindful of what you do, because YOU REPRESENT ALL OF US. I'm stepping off my soap-box for today.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dburns View Post
    Another nube chiming in. Here's an interesting, real video of a similar situation. the bad guys were filming the chase. The guy tried to out run them, but got caught on a dead end street.

YouTube - Rednecks Mess With Wrong Bull

Situations can always be handled differently, we all have our opinions. I have been in plenty of scraps in my time. I am not worried about standing my ground. As a ccw, or oc, we have an obligation to ourselves, our families & our communities to be responsible, & most importantly SURVIVE. Not to be the baddest! The gun is a last resort, when all else fails. For me, it's all about making sure I get home safely for my family.

Just my nubie opinion.
    I heard that, I did...

Situation played out in the video...

Quote Originally Posted by 3dburns View Post
    Another nube chiming in. Here's an interesting, real video of a similar situation. the bad guys were filming the chase. The guy tried to out run them, but got caught on a dead end street.

YouTube - Rednecks Mess With Wrong Bull

Just my nubie opinion.
    This is what I see in the video. The driver of the BMW knew that he had a problem. Sticking up their middle fingers simply encouraged the situation. That was a bad idea. Going on a dirt road with a low sports car was also stupid. I applaud him for trying to get away from the truck, though.
    However the guy with a bat had a deadly weapon. He had the means (bat), motive (bad attitude- wanting to show off), and opportunity (faster truck and dead-end street) to cause death or great bodily injury. The BMW driver exercised great restraint in not shooting the bat-guy, but probably would have been justified in shooting if bat-guy advanced anyway.
    That's my opinion, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRanger View Post
    It seems that there are some people in need of an alarm clock. WAKE UP! Our rights are being challenged daily and the last thing that we need is an uninformed populace reading some of these posts. If you carry, whether open or concealed, you have an obligation to diffuse, deter, or run away if you can, before you brandish or discharge your weapon. Not to mention there are legal implications of taunting or standing your ground when you have the option to escape. Survival 101: Evade and Escape. It doesn't take a man to stand there and pull out a gun, any punk gangbanger can do that. It takes a man to do the right thing and walk away when you really want to punish somebody. It takes a person with a strong sense of honor and self-control to do that but isn't that what we want from those who carry? That's not a squirtgun you've got tucked into that holster, and having to actually use it to defend yourself will have implications far beyond what you can imagine. The anti-gun lobby has been in a frenzy since the tragedy in Arizona, let's not give them any ammunition to use against us. They already paint us as crazed madmen just waiting to shoot some "innocent" people, don't feed into their hands. Wise up and use discretion and give realistic, sane advice when someone asks for it. We want the non-carrying public to know that we aren't walking around with our gun, itching for a fight. Drawing and/or firing your weapon is only ok when you have exhausted ALL other options.
    Nuff said.
    ArmyRanger, I could not agree with you more. WAY before I ever even owned a firearm, I had a Marine SF friend teach me about firearms. As a kid I was very impressionable. One of the things he continually pounded into my skull is E&E. Unless you truly have no other options you never "go for your gun".
    If you can't hit it with 8, you sure as hell aren't going to hit it with 21.

One very important point - don't drive to your home or your neighborhood. You don't want someone who is following you to figure out where they prey on or your family.

The others have hit on the key actions to take:

1) Call 911
    2) Stay on main roads (don't want to end up on deserted or dead-end road)
    3) Drive toward/to closest police station
    4) Study vehicle - make, model, color, tag if possible, number of occupants, occupant descriptions
    5) If carrying, make sure firearm is in position that you can access if needed (many don't consider how they would/could draw their weapon when seatbelted in vehicle)

Phoenix
    Politics compromises principles.
    Doing what's right, means doing what may not be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    It always seems that the drama always happens to a newbie with only 7 posts.
    I have to take this incident with a grain of salt. Get some training and learn situational awareness and don't read into a situation what is not there.
    Yeah that did cross my mind too, but I chose to let it slide and take them for their word.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by ct1911guy View Post
    I'm a newbie to the gun world. I've been carrying/shooting for a year now. Today I had two men in a white Chevy Lumina followed me today when I came home from work. flashing their high beams, yelling they were gonna kill me and pointing their fingers out of the window shaped like guns. I'm sure I didn't do anything wrong to upset them. They kept signaling me to pull over so I took off at a high rate of... speed to loose them. Luckily, i lost them in a winding neighborhood. They are lucky too, I'm sure they weren't expecting to run down a CCW permit carrier. I didn't want them to find out either, or meet my 1911. Gotta say, I was actually pretty calm, but definitely scared. What would you do in this situation?
    Drive to a police station or a parked cop and point the car out to a LEO before they can drive away.
    Or if you have a cell phone call the local PD or sheriff, tell them whats going on and have them instruct you where to drive to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarheadcool View Post
    This site has me wondering what kind of ******* are out there carrying. Unless you are a female pull over, if they come at you with a weapon you do the same. If they don't ,bring the knuckles. Don't ccw to make up for a lack of balls.
    Gotta love you tough guys.

As a man who USED to pull over, I can honesty say if you are packing a gun DO NOT pull over for them if you can get away.
    If you end up having to shoot them and you willingly pull over knowing you have a gun and could have gotten away you are asking for a murder charge if you kill someone.

Dont let tough guys get YOU arrested and charged.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast