My first scary experience - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My first scary experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    Gotta love you tough guys.

As a man who USED to pull over, I can honesty say if you are packing a gun DO NOT pull over for them if you can get away.
    If you end up having to shoot them and you willingly pull over knowing you have a gun and could have gotten away you are asking for a murder charge if you kill someone.

Dont let tough guys get YOU arrested and charged.
    Depends on your state laws.

Running away can become a high speed thing which can endanger innocent people. Thats the ideology behind "stand your ground" laws.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

3. Wink

I would have contacted the police to document the situation and then I would have put my hand on my weapon and told them to get lost!

4. This is my first post and I don't want to start out by stepping on anyones toes but. KCD you have given some very wise advise as well as many others on here. In most states if you stop you just became the aggressor. One of the things the instructor of the CCW class I took stressed was pulling your weapon is a last resort period. Having a CCW permit doesn't give a license to go out and play Rambo. You'll either wind up dead or facing murder charges yourself. That's the one thing that gun training places like Front Sight stress also is pulling your weapon is a last resort. It's best to try to avoid a confrontation at all cost and only after doing everything you could to get out of situation do you ever pull your weapon.

Kudos!!

For all the strong opinions in this thread I'm somewhat surprised it's stayed this civil! Good reading for sure with lots of good advice, kudos to the poster who added the "don't go home" advice. You definitely don't want to let the BG know where you live. OP handled the situation as good as can be expected; we carry for defense and he's still here so he succeeded whether or not he had to pull his gun.

I have to say I do understand both sides of the discussion and a lot of it does hinge on state laws. Some states do allow you to stand your ground and some don't which highlights the importance of knowing what you are and aren't allowed to do in any given state. Unfettered Might does seem to know his state laws rather well, I'll confirm there are states where the law does allow the action he says he'd take (mine isn't one of them).

This thread highlights one of the reasons I decided to start carrying. I commute by bicycle sometimes and trying to get away that way isn't always as easy. Not to mention taking a bicycle away from the person riding it is easier in a lot of ways than a carjacking.

Unfortunately I work for state gov't and am not allowed to carry at work; that is my number one place I commute by bike to. I'm allowed to bring my bike inside the office so it's not like I can "leave the gun in the car." Not sure I'd do that at my office even if I was driving as cars are broken into with some frequency in our parking garage. I'd just end up giving the BG another gun if I left it in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Falcon View Post
    For all the strong opinions in this thread I'm somewhat surprised it's stayed this civil! Good reading for sure with lots of good advice, kudos to the poster who added the "don't go home" advice. You definitely don't want to let the BG know where you live. OP handled the situation as good as can be expected; we carry for defense and he's still here so he succeeded whether or not he had to pull his gun.

I have to say I do understand both sides of the discussion and a lot of it does hinge on state laws. Some states do allow you to stand your ground and some don't which highlights the importance of knowing what you are and aren't allowed to do in any given state. Unfettered Might does seem to know his state laws rather well, I'll confirm there are states where the law does allow the action he says he'd take (mine isn't one of them).

This thread highlights one of the reasons I decided to start carrying. I commute by bicycle sometimes and trying to get away that way isn't always as easy. Not to mention taking a bicycle away from the person riding it is easier in a lot of ways than a carjacking.

Unfortunately I work for state gov't and am not allowed to carry at work; that is my number one place I commute by bike to. I'm allowed to bring my bike inside the office so it's not like I can "leave the gun in the car." Not sure I'd do that at my office even if I was driving as cars are broken into with some frequency in our parking garage. I'd just end up giving the BG another gun if I left it in my car.
    You have to be half a lawyer to carry a gun lol. Seriously though, everyone should know ALL the particulars about their state's laws and state case law. Fortunately for me, mine is a preemption state so it makes it a bit easier.

People here who work for the state could OC at work if they wanted to, but not CC. Kentucky is so hard core about not infringing on OC and it's socially accepted

I just wish the other states that aren't would be the same way.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

Must be nice, Unfettered Might

If the laws are that simple...very cool. I'm required to know all my laws inside and outside. As an instructor, LEO, investigator, I have them memorized almost verbatim. BORING but good to know. I also carry a Field Guide in my car. For those who have confusing laws, you might see if your local university bookstore will sell you a law book or two. They get less expensive as the school year comes to a close. It's just a thought....

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post
    If the laws are that simple...very cool. I'm required to know all my laws inside and outside. As an instructor, LEO, investigator, I have them memorized almost verbatim. BORING but good to know. I also carry a Field Guide in my car. For those who have confusing laws, you might see if your local university bookstore will sell you a law book or two. They get less expensive as the school year comes to a close. It's just a thought....
    I didn't say they were simple, just uniform. You don't have to worry about this county or that city passing firearm laws different from the state, because they would be illegal.

If you know your laws that well, then you are a cut above your peers as most I've encountered don't know jack.....of course maybe that's why I encountered them in the first place.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567