Idea for exposed bottom of holster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea for exposed bottom of holster

Thumbs up Idea for exposed bottom of holster

So, when carrying concealed with an "outside the pants" holster and an over-garment that is a bit too short, sometimes the bottom of one's holster can be seen.

For plastic holsters (yeah, I know - composite) you can get a small Vinyl cell company label and stick it on the bottom portion on the outside. Any sign shop can make one.

When a typical person sees the bottom third of the black holster, they are automatically put at ease because they see the Verizon or AT&T logo label and assume it is a holster for a fancy cell phone... not a gun.

"I hope to never use my seatbelt or my gun for their intended purposes, but I wear them anyway." -Shepard Humphries

Does it really matter since Wyoming is an open carry state?
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinjh View Post
    So, when carrying concealed with an "outside the pants" holster and an over-garment that is a bit too short, sometimes the bottom of one's holster can be seen.

For plastic holsters (yeah, I know - composite) you can get a small Vinyl cell company label and stick it on the bottom portion on the outside. Any sign shop can make one.

When a typical person sees the bottom third of the black holster, they are automatically put at ease because they see the Verizon or AT&T logo label and assume it is a holster for a fancy cell phone... not a gun.

"I hope to never use my seatbelt or my gun for their intended purposes, but I wear them anyway." -Shepard Humphries
    This might actually bring attention to the holster, and possibly cause the casual observer to see printing through clothing. Most people aren't as as observant as you're giving them credit for. I've OC'd in many places (where legal) and many people fail to spot my holstered pistol. Given the fact that many people have various gadgets on their belt, your average Joe usually assumes the exposed portion of the holster would be one of those gadgets. If one were to observe the cell phone sticker on an "odd looking" cell phone, or possible cell pone holder, they may ask about it, or simply keep looking in an attempt to figure out what kind of phone it is.

Save your $$, do your best to cover up, and don't worry too much about your firearm becoming exposed. After getting used to the firearm and how your clothing conceals, you will become more confident and know when you need to hold down your clothing to avoid having your firearm exposed.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Remember, bright and contrasting colors attract attention as they stand out on their background. You could minimize this effect by matching your holster color to your slacks color.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Buy your shirts at a Big and Tall store. Tall shirts are just longer.
    Or buy a IWB holster such as Crossbreeds Super Tuck.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Does it really matter since Wyoming is an open carry state?
    It does not matter legally, only tactically.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinjh View Post
    It does not matter legally, only tactically.
    Oh, yeah. You're looking for that non-existent "tactical advantage". My mistake.

Better make sure your concealed carry badge is well hidden too.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    This might actually bring attention to the holster, and possibly cause the casual observer to see printing through clothing. ...

Save your $$, do your best to cover up, and don't worry too much about your firearm becoming exposed. After getting used to the firearm and how your clothing conceals, you will become more confident and know when you need to hold down your clothing to avoid having your firearm exposed.

gf
    Yep, it could draw attention. Yep, it could be seen thru clothing. Yep, it could be a conversation starter. These are very valid points, thanks for mentioning them!

This idea is not on-par with fire, the 1911 or the wheel. It is an idea and like all ideas, there are down-sides and up-sides. Of all the concealed carry folks in the world, some will choose not to do this, some will wear a cross-draw holster, some will carry wheel guns and some will wear an ankle holster. Again, each person must evaluate the pros and cons of every idea, tactic & style.

Please keep an eye on my future posts and call me on it if I am ever condescending toward posters with whom I might disagree.

Smile

Oh, yeah. You're looking for that non-existent "tactical advantage". My mistake.

Hey! How did you know I carry CC-badges?! lol I actually wear 4, so that if the wind blows up my skir...err, I mean shirt tails, folks from all four angles will know how important I am! lol

Wink

That's what those neck chain CCW badge holder thingies are for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast