Testing a gun before buying?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing a gun before buying?

1. Testing a gun before buying?

I know there has been a lot discussed here on if a .380 is enough for a concealed carry (and I don't mean just as a backup gun) As I am just taking my CCW class tomorrow, I'm starting to think what I would want to carry. I see both sides of the arguments as to why a .380 that you are able to carry all the time is better then the .40, .45 etc that is home, but the knockdown power of a more powerful cal is important as well. I've only have experience with my H&K full size 9MM.

I'm torn between a .38 or a .380. or possibly a 9MM. Ideally I'd like to have a table in front of me with all my top candidates to shoot for what I think i would like to have as a carry, but I am having trouble finding local shops that offer "test or demo" guns, and none of my friends have any for me to try.

I guess my question is did many of you buy without trying? I'd really rather not do that. Thanks.

go to a gun range... i know all the ones around me have guns a that they loan... or ask your friends, maybe they have one you can go with and try a couple of shots...

thats how i did it...
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Accuracy

Accuracy is more important than caliber...always! What can you draw and get off a three burst round with. Then it's an easy choice.

A .380 is better then nothing..and if you live in warmer states such as FL in the summer...it may be a lot easer to CC... I am looking at the Taurus 9mm revolver...WIth JHP ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by cam9910 View Post
    I know there has been a lot discussed here on if a .380 is enough for a concealed carry (and I don't mean just as a backup gun) As I am just taking my CCW class tomorrow, I'm starting to think what I would want to carry. I see both sides of the arguments as to why a .380 that you are able to carry all the time is better then the .40, .45 etc that is home, but the knockdown power of a more powerful cal is important as well. I've only have experience with my H&K full size 9MM.

I'm torn between a .38 or a .380. or possibly a 9MM. Ideally I'd like to have a table in front of me with all my top candidates to shoot for what I think i would like to have as a carry, but I am having trouble finding local shops that offer "test or demo" guns, and none of my friends have any for me to try.

I guess my question is did many of you buy without trying? I'd really rather not do that. Thanks.

carry gun.

I carry a .380 with light clothing, it is eazyer to conceal. And my .40 cal with heavier cloths like winter coats. It would all depend on how good a shot you are, if you hit someone in the eye they are going down with scrambled brains. A .380 won't go through heavy clothing like a .40 will but again it depends on where you hid them.

7. I carry a P238 Sig (.380) Tactical with laser, it's small and powerful (not like a .45ACP though). I always look at a bullet and ask yourself if you would shoot yourself in the leg with it? If the answer is no then you know which one to get... hehe

The Sig P290 is coming out soon, it's a 9mm about the size of the P238... I am waiting for the Sig Ultra Compact 1911...

All the talk about knockdown power and magazine capacity is more Internet talk and one-upsmanship than anything. A .22 can be a very effective caliber and doesn't have to be a shot in the eyesocket. A .380 is a very good carry weapon and anyone that feels afraid to carry one in bordering on paranoia. Now I will admit that a .40 is more effective that a .380 and 19 rounds is better to have than 7 but how much more effective do you need it to be. I have several ranging from a .22 to a .357 and would hate to be shot with any of them, and would not hesitate to pick up any and use it a my primary carry for the day. My favorite is my P3AT and my S&W 340PD is second. However I find myself carrying my NAA Mini .22WRM more than the others.

Just be sure you know how to use whatever you have and that it is reliable. With some of the stories I have heard about some Kimbers I would rather have my .380 than their .45 unless I had shot it enough to be sure.

FN1910 is correct right down the line. The only place I break rank with him is concerning the NAA Mini. Choice is what makes America great.

That being said, a good quality .380 is an excellent option, if you use the right ammo. Take a look at this for a better explanation and less typing for me;

380 Auto +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

It's available from Midway for somewhat lower cost.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=188768

P.S. For a .380, IMO you can't do better than an LCP with a magazine finger extension.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Wyatt Earp said it best. Bullet placement is what counts a 22 will kill you just as dead as a 45, bullet placement.

I have both the NAA Mini revolver in .22 WMR with the 1-1/8" barrel and the 1-5/8" barrel. I was extremely surprised at the difference between the two and I love the one with the longer barrel. It is surprisingly accurate and I haven't done any gel tests but from everything I can tell, especially the feel it gives while firing it I would not want to be hit by a shot from it. I agree that it doesn't have the stopping power of a 9mm or .380 but I will guarantee you that it is better than a sharp stick. The fold up grip lets me drop it in my pocket and not even know it is there. The short barrel is more of a cute plinking gun but I still don't want to be shot with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast