Carry in an auto locked container question

Thread: Carry in an auto locked container question

1. Carry in an auto locked container question

I have a push button lock unit (Simplex lock) and the main compartment holds the gun, along side is another smaller compartment just large enough for a mag. The top locking cover when opened allows access to the gun, it also at the same time allows the top of the smaller mag holder to open as well. It was sold to be mounted in a car and at that time since the gun was in a locked box, and the mag was in a different locked container, as long as the gun was not loaded, it was legal in Calif. I keep a copy of the dated receipt in it as a few months later it was not legal to be sold in Calif. I was wondering if this would be legal these days? And wonder if it has to be in the trunk, or would it be legal in the passenger area? They are both locked, and are not in the same container. Anyone know? Speaking mainly in Calif. but, other states which it would not be legal in?

gotta pic? would love to see it

4. Pic of the gun locking unit

This is my first post and I am not sure that my pics will come through, so here is a try. I see they did. I have this mounted on my bedside. The unit also has a quick disconnect docking-locking plate mech. which can be used to secure it to a car body, and then move it to another place like on a bed frame.

California has a maize of gun laws, I know I lived there for 30 years. This site(USA CARRY) has a section on each state and their laws and I urge you to look it up. Laws are subject to change but it was my understanding the gun and ammo had to be in separate containers. Some vehicles do not have a trunk so as long as the gun and ammo are locked and separate containers you are legal. Other states are much different so you have to read the law in every state you travel in. In my opinion if you had originally bought the gun in California it might be grandfathered in but mabye not. As Ive said many times it may be a wise thing to consult with a knowledgeable lawyer. Welcomee to USA CARRY.

6. As you can see in the pics. there are two separate containers and both are locked when the top cover is locked. The way it was explained to me is that the law (at least then) did not say there had to be two separate locks. That is why they did not allow any more to be sold, think it was around 1987 or so. They still make it but it is not sold in Calif. I am not sure how to find out for sure if it is legal here.

Quote Originally Posted by a1bigtuna View Post
    As you can see in the pics. there are two separate containers and both are locked when the top cover is locked. The way it was explained to me is that the law (at least then) did not say there had to be two separate locks. That is why they did not allow any more to be sold, think it was around 1987 or so. They still make it but it is not sold in Calif. I am not sure how to find out for sure if it is legal here.
    This is one of those what does "IS" mean situations. Take a good look and this is ONE locked container with two compartments, me thinks. Would work in Oregon only if your car has no trunk but we only need one container and weapon can be loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by a1bigtuna View Post
    It was sold to be mounted in a car and at that time since the gun was in a locked box, and the mag was in a different locked container, as long as the gun was not loaded, it was legal in Calif. I keep a copy of the dated receipt in it as a few months later it was not legal to be sold in Calif. I was wondering if this would be legal these days? And wonder if it has to be in the trunk, or would it be legal in the passenger area? They are both locked, and are not in the same container. Anyone know? Speaking mainly in Calif. but, other states which it would not be legal in?
    I think you've been the victim of a little bit of FUDD. First, why would that lockbox by itself be illegal to be sold in California? Does California have some stupid lockbox law?

Second, there is no requirement to lock ammo/magazines in a separate compartment from the gun in California, at least according to the California Highway Patrol:
    CHP-Frequently Asked Questions of the Highway Patrol

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.
    Finally, the only state, to my knowledge, you would have problems with would be Ohio, if you were carrying the firearm and loaded magazines in the same vehicle without a recognized CCW permit. HOWEVER, why in the world would you EVER consent to police searching inside the locked container anyway? I think some Oregon local jurisdictions also have loaded magazine bans, but not statewide.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. This gun vault I bought from the manufacture (many years ago) told me that he only had 30 more days to be able to sell them in Calif. I just took him at his word, since he did not have them at the next gun show.

On carrying a gun and ammo in a car. I have been told by at least two LE people if they stopped a car and there was a pistol and ammo in the passenger compartment, even unloaded, they could take the gun and let a hearing sort it out. So, in Calif. we have a lot of things that can be a surprise. I was out in the desert shooting my Mini-14 and had 30 rd mags when a Ranger (yeah they have Rangers in the desert down here) and he took my mags, was going to take the gun and write me a ticket, when a deputy came by to see what was going on. The Ranger did not want to look at my receipt for the gun and the mags (see I carry a copy just for that reason) and the deputy looked at the receipts dated 1990 and told the Ranger that I was legal with the mags. I would have gotten the stuff back, but it would have been a year or so. So, ya can't be too careful down here.

I know several people who have run afoul of the LE down here, so we just don't take chances. I now do not take the 30 rd mags out any more, just 5 and 10 rd ones, even thought I have had them pre-ban, it is just not worth it to me for the potential problems.