Alcohol and concealed carry - Page 11
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

1. Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    but I wouldn't carry into Hooters because I imagine they sell a lot more beer than wings.
    VIBE Vista Awards Honor Responsible Alcohol Service | Nightclub & Bar

Because 25 percent of Hooters $1 billion annual revenues comes from alcohol sales, Hooters makes training staff and management in responsible alcohol service a top priority. Additionally, Hooters’ responsible alcohol program is advocated not by a training program, human resources or legal team but by its operations team, which separates it from many other chains. And with these high standards, intense regulations and staff training, Hooters proves its success isn’t just a fluke.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Well, I don't drink (I'll pause and let you all gasp in astonishment) so this isn't an issue for me. The only time I have to be concerned is if I'm going to a restaurant with a bar. Places like applebees or TGI Fridays are pretty safe for me, but I wouldn't carry into Hooters because I imagine they sell a lot more beer than wings.

I think that carrying while drinking is not the smartest course of action. However, I'm not about to suggest forbidding someone from doing so. Different people handle alcohol differently.
    you have nothing to worry about unles you sit at the bar itself in most Hooter's I've been in.

Check this book I got my copy and have been enlightened it will help with many decisions here in Florida. Well worth the money!

Buy FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book Seventh Edition - Only $31.50
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    you have nothing to woory about unles you sit at the bar itself in most Hooter's I've been in.

Check this book I got my copy and have been enlightened it will help with many decisions here in Florida. Well worth the money!

Buy FLORIDA FIREARMS Law, Use & Ownership Book Seventh Edition - Only $31.50
    I have the the 2010 edition. Well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ct1911guy View Post
    Well, I gotta say, unfortunately I do not agree with several laws myself, but I'd never carry a firearm and drink at a restaurant or bar. I would never want to risk loosing my right to carry.
    Because losing your life would be so much better.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Jack Daniels isn't a very good shooting partner. I've been around him enough to know. Sometimes he's aggressive, sometimes he's a show-off, and a lot of times he's just plain stupid. And he never seems to know when he's acting out of line even when those around him are telling him so. He's got friends from Russia, Mexico, the Carribbean, and other places that act just like him. I wouldn't want any of them carrying a gun around me.
    So either you or someone you know can't handle their alcohol and/or doesn't have the ability to say when. Most people don't have this problem. The ones that do usually end up on a reality t.v. show.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Because losing your life would be so much better.
    ^This.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    So either you or someone you know can't handle their alcohol and/or doesn't have the ability to say when. Most people don't have this problem. The ones that do usually end up on a reality t.v. show.
    Most people know when to say "when" most of the time, but not all of the time. 99% of the people that drink have their moments of drunkeness even though they're normally responsible drinkers. In the bars that I manage there are people that I see almost every day and have so for years. Every one of them has gotten poop-faced at least once. I'm willing to bet that you've gotten trashed at least once too.

Everyone has their limit, including you whether you'll admit it or not. There isn't a human being walking this earth that is immune to the effects of alcohol. It may take longer for those effects to manifest themselves in certain people than in others but make no mistake......that first sip of beer or booze is the first step towards all the glories of alcohol-induced idiocy. Whether you get that far is up to you but the problem is that most people don't know they've reached that point until it's too late.

I'm not saying that one beer is going to turn somebody into a raving lunatic but too many times I've seen people say "I'm OK....I can have one more" over and over again until they're drunk. If you get drunk and shoot your mouth off you can always apologize the next day and take back what you said. There are no do-overs with guns. If you get drunk and shoot your gun off, be it accidentally or on purpose, you can't take that bullet back. It's effects on other people are usually irreversible.

Ask the people who work in the industry. I work with quite a few gun-toters, some of whom would be quite at home with you literal interpreters of 2A. I have yet to find one who thinks allowing guns into bars is a good idea.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Arrow ServSafe®

NavyLT, IIRC Hooter's uses the ServSafe® Responsable Service of Alcohol training program and certification.

9. If (god forbid) you ever have to use your gun for self defense you'll have enough hoops to jump through without putting more in front of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Ask the people who work in the industry. I work with quite a few gun-toters, some of whom would be quite at home with you literal interpreters of 2A. I have yet to find one who thinks allowing guns into bars is a good idea.
    So the only one in the bar with a gun is the BG, that doesn't obey the laws anyway?
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    So the only one in the bar with a gun is the BG, that doesn't obey the laws anyway?
    Not in our bars. Florida law allows employees to carry even in places that the general public can't. I'd estimate that at least half of the male staff (and some of the female staff) in our employ are CCers. At any given time in any one of our businesses there are at least 2 or 3 armed staffers on the premises. That may be of little comfort to you but it's better than nothing.

That being said, the danger from a room full of drunks or semi-drunks who are carrying is much greater than that of a BG coming in and brandishing a gun. You may be able to "hold your liquor" but there's a good chance the guy next to you at the bar can't. Ditto for the guys at the table across the room, etc. In the combined 50+ yr history of the establishments that my bosses own, there has never been an incident involving a firearm. We have, however, had occasional incidents involving beer bottles, chairs, fists, etc., etc., even a knife once or twice, and I shudder to think what would have happened if any of those people had a gun on them. An ordinary bar scrum would have been turned into a murder investigation.

As I've said before, the bottom line is that if you don't want to voluntarily surrender your right to carry, don't go into a bar where carrying is not permitted. Pretty simple.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast