Alcohol and concealed carry - Page 13
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Ed, next time you get out of sleepy New Mexico, come and visit us here in S. Florida. Maybe then you'll understand what I'm talking about. Life in the fast lane, buddy.

Allow me to clarify something - I'm not against someone carrying and having a beverage or two. I have no problem with somebody having a couple of drinks during dinner at a restaurant, and neither does the state of Florida. I'm against people carrying and overdoing it. I don't know how it is in Indiana or New Mexico or Vermont, but where I live most people don't go bars in order to sip on a drink for a couple of hours or to have a quick one on the way home from work. Down here they come to party. Even people getting off work come in for a couple of hours and quite a few drinks. Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Daytona, etc......it's very much a party culture down here. I know people who have trouble paying their phone bill every month yet they always have a well-stocked tiki bar on their back patio. Bars are where people come to get sloshed....or at least catch a nice buzz. Bars are where people come to overdo it in Florida, not to nurse a beer.

Of the 5 places my boss owns, only one of them isn't classified as a "place of nuisance". It's more of a conventional restaurant and although alcohol is served, it's perfectly legal to carry there. CCers are welcome and you'd be hard-pressed to find an intoxicated person there. Not so for the other places. The state doesn't want people in bars to have guns on them and neither do we. Too dangerous for everyone around.....far more dangerous than the remote chance that a BG walks in and starts shooting.

Don't like it?? Then stay out of bars in Florida. We all have that option.
    Oh, I understand what your talking about, Gun Control. I Will never agree with it.

It is not wise to assume someone hasn't been around just bacause of where they live.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

IMHO- If you drink--DON'T CARRY !
    If you carry--DON'T DRINK !
    SIMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    You have mispositioned my statement with a strawman fallacy. But when we enact laws, it is presumed that they are there for the betterment of society. The problem with gun control laws is that they do the exact opposite. They limit the freedoms of everyday people. When it comes to gun laws, the few the better. People will need to defend themselves against threats, whether they be gang-bangers or a tyrannical government.
    How does a law against possessing a weapon while intoxicated not benefit society and "limit the freedoms of everyday people"? How does a law that prohibits gun ownership by the insane, the incompetent, and the previously convicted violent criminal not benefit society and "limit the freedoms of everyday people"?

I guess if you are an alcoholic or a felon or a mentally ill person. But how is a law abiding mentally competent non-drug abusing "every day" person excessively burden by such laws?

The fact that criminals will break laws is of no relevance to the issue. We don't enact laws for criminals. We enact laws for law abiding people. We attach punishment to laws for the criminals who might break them.

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    IMHO- If I drink--DON'T CARRY !
    If I carry--DON'T DRINK !
    SIMPLE
    FIFY. Follow your own rule. Don't try and force it on the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    How does a law against possessing a weapon while intoxicated not benefit society and "limit the freedoms of everyday people"? How does a law that prohibits gun ownership by the insane, the incompetent, and the previously convicted violent criminal not benefit society and "limit the freedoms of everyday people"?

I guess if you are an alcoholic or a felon or a mentally ill person. But how is a law abiding mentally competent non-drug abusing "every day" person excessively burden by such laws?

The fact that criminals will break laws is of no relevance to the issue. We don't enact laws for criminals. We enact laws for law abiding people. We attach punishment to laws for the criminals who might break them.
    First off you are assuming that the intoxicated person is automatically going to commit some crime.

It limits my freedom because my right to keep and bear arms has been taken away if I decide, depending on the state I'm in, to have a drink with dinner. Or to go into a bar with friends to have a drink and shoot pool, etc..
    In some states I can't even go into a grocery store that sells alcohol without committing a felony.

I'm not getting into the other two. The topic is alcohol. Not felons and crazies.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Oh, I understand what your talking about, Gun Control. I Will never agree with it.
    You agree to gun control, Ed. You might not admit it to us here on these boards......but you agree to it. You know that there are people out there walking the streets who shouldn't be allowed to have a firearm. That's gun control, buddy.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    You agree to gun control, Ed. You might not admit it to us here on these boards......but you agree to it. You know that there are people out there walking the streets who shouldn't be allowed to have a firearm. That's gun control, buddy.
    No there is not! Everyone has the right to defend them selves. Nobody should be denied the right to bare arms. NOBODY.

You are assuming again. And your wrong again.

2nd Amendment does not have The words: But, Unless, If, or Until.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

No there is not! Everyone has the right to defend them selves. Nobody should be denied the right to bare arms. NOBODY.

You mean like this guy?

Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    You mean like this guy?

Typing to fast.
    Ed

Here we ago again.......

Since the Constitution makes no mention of age limits then you obviously have no problem with 1st-graders carrying loaded weapons to school, right?

Since the Constitution makes no mention of mental competency, you obviously have no problem with insane people walking around with loaded guns, right?

Since the Constitution makes no mention of violent criminals, you have no problem with people carrying who use their firearms to commit crimes, right?

Since the Constitution makes no mention of alcohol consumption, you'd have no problem if the drunk accross the bar from you decides to practice his quick-draw technique, right??

Since 2A uses the word "arms" (and not "guns" as you did), you have no problem with your next door neighbor having a stockpile of poison gas, high explosives, or maybe a nuke??

Geez Ed.....do you really need a piece of paper to tell you what's right and wrong?? Is common sense innate or do you have to be told what to think....what's right and what's wrong?? Was slavery OK until the the 13A in 1865?? Did we really need the Constitution to tell us that??

Your reckless and irresponsible (spiteful??) views on weapons possession are just as ludicrous as Diane Feinstein's or Howard Metzenbaum's.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

11. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Here we ago again.......

Since the Constitution makes no mention of age limits then you obviously have no problem with 1st-graders carrying loaded weapons to school, right?

Since the Constitution makes no mention of mental competency, you obviously have no problem with insane people walking around with loaded guns, right?

Since the Constitution makes no mention of violent criminals, you have no problem with people carrying who use their firearms to commit crimes, right?

Since the Constitution makes no mention of alcohol consumption, you'd have no problem if the drunk accross the bar from you decides to practice his quick-draw technique, right??

Since 2A uses the word "arms" (and not "guns" as you did), you have no problem with your next door neighbor having a stockpile of poison gas, high explosives, or maybe a nuke??

Geez Ed.....do you really need a piece of paper to tell you what's right and wrong?? Is common sense innate or do you have to be told what to think....what's right and what's wrong?? Was slavery OK until the the 13A in 1865?? Did we really need the Constitution to tell us that??

Your reckless and irresponsible (spiteful??) views on weapons possession are just of ludicrous as Diane Feinstein's or Howard Metzenbaum's.
    That's some Brady campaign verbiage you're using there.

The Constitution addresses the rights of citizens. Minors are not citizens; they are wards of their parents until they reach the age of majority. And convicted criminals are not citizens. They are wards of the state. I would have no problem with my neighbor stockpiling weapons, since he's just another ordinary guy.

And nuclear weapons aren't "arms." Those are weapons of mass destruction and have no purpose than to commit horrible acts of genocide. "Arms" fall into just about any other category of weapon.
    REPEAL THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL NATIONAL FIREARMS AND GUN CONTROL ACTS

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast