Alcohol and concealed carry - Page 18
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

There is a big difference between having a set of car keys in your pocket while ingesting alcohol and having a locked and loaded glock on your hip while ingesting alcohol.

3. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    There is a big difference between having a set of car keys in your pocket while ingesting alcohol and having a locked and loaded glock on your hip while ingesting alcohol.
    You are exactly correct. The gun is protected by the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. The car keys aren't.

And.... exactly what is the difference, anyway? They are both objects.

You are many, many, many times more likely to be killed by someone taking car keys out of their pocket and using them in a car than you are by someone taking a gun out of a holster.

In my example at Applebees there was absolutely no difference between the car keys in my pocket and the gun in my holster. I would not use either one during/after dinner unless my life or someone else's life was in danger.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    ATF - Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms - should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Do you need a CCW Badge to get into that store?

You are exactly correct. The gun is protected by the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. The car keys aren't.
    Neither is drinking alcohol

And.... exactly what is the difference, anyway? They are both objects.
    What's the difference?? Really? Well we could start with what each is primarliy used for.

You are many, many, many times more likely to be killed by someone taking car keys out of their pocket and using them in a car than you are by someone taking a gun out of a holster.
    That's a ridiculous comparison and always has been. Every day in this country 100 million+ people actively use their automobiles in public. How many people pull out firearms and start shooting in public?? You're rife with very, very weak combacks.

In my example at Applebees there was absolutely no difference between the car keys in my pocket and the gun in my holster. I would not use either one during/after dinner unless my life or someone else's life was in danger.
    Huh?? You'd only use your car keys if your life were in danger?? I can see it now....NavyLT draws his car keys in the face of a BG and says "don't make me use these!"

99.9999999% of the time cars are used to go from point A to point B. Unfortunately sometimes they become inadvertant weapons by people who've had too much to drink. Guns?? They're weapons 100% of the time, plain and simple. The rules are different, as well they should be.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

6. Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    99.9999999% of the time cars are used to go from point A to point B. Unfortunately sometimes they become inadvertant weapons by people who've had too much to drink. Guns?? They're weapons 100% of the time, plain and simple. The rules are different, as well they should be.
    Sorry....I just simply fail to see any difference between being in possession and control of an automobile and being in possession and control of a gun. They are both only objects, incapable of doing anything by themselves, and are both dangerous to other people ONLY because of the people operating them.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

JSDinTexas Guest
    The original question, in case we've forgotten, was: "Is it legal for a concealed carry permit holder to consume Alcohol while carrying a firearm ..." The answer is, with variations, yes (and I'm assuming the post is talking about 1 or 2, say with dinner or after work).
    But let me offer this: after a shooting incident, the police and then the DA will determine the course of events and charges. If alcohol has been consumed by the good guy, the whole senario can change from self-defense (justifiable homicide) to manslaughter or maybe murder 2nd. I don't carry and drink.

Possession of a weapon in a public place is not presently protected by the second amendment. It is a privilege if allowed by the state in which in live. Just like driving a car.

9. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Possession of a weapon in a public place is not presently protected by the second amendment. It is a privilege if allowed by the state in which in live.
    That is one area where you and I disagree. Did D.C. v. Heller CREATE the Constitutional protection of the individual right to keep and bear arms in the home for self protection in Washington D.C.? NO. The right was protected by the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution since it was ratified. The US Supreme Court in D.C. v. Heller simply APPLIED the PRE-EXISTING protection to keep and bear arms.

Did McDonald v. Heller CREATE the Constitutional protection of the individual right to keep and bear arms in the home in any state? NO. The right was protected by the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution since it was ratified. The US Supreme Court in McDonald v. Chicago only APPLIED the PRE-EXISTING protection to keep and bear arms.

I don't see anything in the 2nd Amendment that limits the individual right to keep and bear arms to only inside one's home, do you? I don't see a US Supreme Court case that says that the right to keep and bear arms is limited to inside the home and does not apply in public, do you? The protection of the right to keep and bear arms in public places is already protected by the 2nd Amendment. All that is lacking is for the US Supreme Court to APPLY the EXISTING rights protection to keeping and bearing arms in public places. Just like Heller and McDonald - their rights were ALREADY protected. To CREATE new Constitutional protection of rights requires an amendment to the Constitution, which neither Heller nor McDonald did.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    The original question, in case we've forgotten, was: "Is it legal for a concealed carry permit holder to consume Alcohol while carrying a firearm ..." The answer is, with variations, yes (and I'm assuming the post is talking about 1 or 2, say with dinner or after work).
    But let me offer this: after a shooting incident, the police and then the DA will determine the course of events and charges. If alcohol has been consumed by the good guy, the whole senario can change from self-defense (justifiable homicide) to manslaughter or maybe murder 2nd. I don't carry and drink.
    Thanks jsd....

You are correct on all counts ! The question was one of rule of law and the correct answer is... depends on where you are !
    Georgia law makes it illegal to DISCHARGE your weapon under the influence - exception being that you or a third party is
    under direct threat of death or extreme bodily harm.
    You are correct again in that if there is ANY doubt as to the reason for the incident, the presence of alcohol will most probably change the opinions of the investigating officers and the DA.

So once again... we come back to individual responsibility....
    Responsible enough to stay ON TOPIC and responsible enough to make sure that if you draw your gun, you are doing so for the right reasons and that you are in control of your own actions...

That was fun.... can we NOT do it again soon.... :p
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    NO WAY! Not worth loosing the privlege!
    Uhmmmmm, it is a RIGHT, not a privilege......

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast