Alcohol and concealed carry - Page 21
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    @edsworld...Are you an anarchist? I'm not trying to be confrontational. It's a serious question. It seem to me that you have issues with laws in general.
    Just the dumb ones. There's a lot of them.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    We can outlaw irresponsible behaviors that put others at risk. Drunk driving puts innocent people at risk. There is no benefit to anyone, and need whatsoever, for a person who has been drinking to be driving. None, nada, zip. We have no reason to allow such behavior.

DWI laws punish the irresponsible behavior of the drunken driver. Vehicular manslaughter laws add furnish punishment for the results brought on by that irresponsible behavior.

We don't need to tolerate risky behaviors that risk the lives of innocent people.
    Then you better start writing a lot more laws because there are a lot more irresponsible behaviors.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

4. Quote Originally Posted by ID9mm View Post
    The way you talk there should not be any laws. Just punishment for those who severely hurt or kill somebody. Laws are there to prevent that. Like it or not, there are laws that we have to abide and consequences to pay if we break those laws. If a drunk driver or someone drunk with a handgun hurt or killed one of my loved ones, there would be hell to pay.
    Fast food restaurants kill more Americans than firearms do by selling high saturated fat fried food. So, by your reasoning, the government should pass a law to ban Big Macs to protect Americans from the danger to life and health that Big Macs are.

I have no problems with a law that prohibits the OPERATION of a motor vehicle while intoxicated. I have no problem with a law that prohibts the OPERATION of a firearm while intoxicated.

I would have a huge problem with a law that prohibited the possession of car keys in my pocket or a vehicle in a parking lot or driveway while intoxicated, and I have a huge problem with a law prohibiting the possession of a firearm in my holster while intoxicated. The drunk is 100's of times more likely to kill someone with the car keys in his pocket than with a firearm in a holster, and yet, once again, no one is advocating making car keys illegal to possess while intoxicated.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

5. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Fast food restaurants kill more Americans than firearms do by selling high saturated fat fried food. So, by your reasoning, the government should pass a law to ban Big Macs to protect Americans from the danger to life and health that Big Macs are.

I have no problems with a law that prohibits the OPERATION of a motor vehicle while intoxicated. I have no problem with a law that prohibts the OPERATION of a firearm while intoxicated.

I would have a huge problem with a law that prohibited the possession of car keys in my pocket or a vehicle in a parking lot or driveway while intoxicated, and I have a huge problem with a law prohibiting the possession of a firearm in my holster while intoxicated. The drunk is 100's of times more likely to kill someone with the car keys in his pocket than with a firearm in a holster, and yet, once again, no one is advocating making car keys illegal to possess while intoxicated.
    There's a difference between having a drink with dinner and being plain stupid drunk, so you think whatever you want.

I had to disarm some idiot one time at a party because he chose to pull his loaded 9mm out and waive it around pointing it at people with his finger on the trigger. It's not easy to safely disarm a drunk with a lot of people around and certainly not fun. I'm not going to let anyone around me handle a deadly weapon in a stupid drunk condition like that. That includes a automobile or a gun. He did not get his gun back from me. I gave it to the person that was sober enough to drive his sorry butt home (unloaded of coarse). IMHO carrying while drunk is a dumb thing to do.

6. Quote Originally Posted by ID9mm View Post
    There's a difference between having a drink with dinner and being plain stupid drunk, so you think whatever you want.

I had to disarm some idiot one time at a party because he chose to pull his loaded 9mm out and waive it around pointing it at people with his finger on the trigger. It's not easy to safely disarm a drunk with a lot of people around and certainly not fun. I'm not going to let anyone around me handle a deadly weapon in a stupid drunk condition like that. That includes a automobile or a gun. He did not get his gun back from me. I gave it to the person that was sober enough to drive his sorry butt home (unloaded of coarse). IMHO carrying while drunk is a dumb thing to do.
    And I agree with 100% of what you have said in that paragraph. And I'll bet Edsworld would too.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by ID9mm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    And I agree with 100% of what you have said in that paragraph. And I'll bet Edsworld would too.
    Exactly so... !!!
    gave it to the person that was sober enough to drive his sorry butt home
    or the person that was responsible enough to NOT be falling down drunk !!!
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Then you better start writing a lot more laws because there are a lot more irresponsible behaviors.
    And we may well do so. But it is not an all or none requirement. The "but you don't make poking yourself in the eye with a pencil illegal, so you can't make drunken driving illegal" argument is adolescent and irrational.

In New York it is a felony if caught DWI with children in the car. I have no sympathy for idiots who drink and drive.

Lot of Comparisions between drunks and gun toters in bars:

Here is something to think about.

Let's license bartenders & require that they have a bond/insurance policy for overserving someone to get a greater tip/commision. Let's say said person leaves the bar and gets killed for walking or driving off a cliff or into a body of water.
    What criminal/civic charges could be brought against the baretender? Hmmmmmm........... How many people have gotten DUI's because of unscupuplous bartenders? Lot's of comparisions going on in this thread. Note: Canada requires bartenders to be licensed. and I agree we should to and not license that which is a right.

Just some thoughts
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    Lot of Comparisions between drunks and gun toters in bars:

Here is something to think about.

Let's license bartenders & require that they have a bond/insurance policy for overserving someone to get a greater tip/commision. Let's say said person leaves the bar and gets killed for walking or driving off a cliff or into a body of water.
    What criminal/civic charges could be brought against the baretender? Hmmmmmm........... How many people have gotten DUI's because of unscupuplous bartenders? Lot's of comparisions going on in this thread. Note: Canada requires bartenders to be licensed. and I agree we should to and not license that which is a right.

Just some thoughts
    Dram Shop laws in the US make those who serve alcohol to an inebriated person responsible for damages caused by that person.

I don't know if it is illegal to consume alcohol while carrying in SC or not. I do know that it is illegal to carry a firearm in any establishment that serves alcohol, including a restaurant like Applebee's etc.

Also, from my understanding, while SC has a legal blood-alcohol limit of .08 for DUI, if you have any alcohol in your system and get into a wreck and someone is killed, you can be charged with felony DUI. I would assume that the wreck would have to be your fault but I am not sure about that.

Personally I don't see the big deal. To me alcohol and guns do not mix so it is only natural for me to avoid drinking while carrying. While I can see both sides of the issue I don't consider it anything to worry much about. What I do not like is the restriction on carrying a firearm in a business that sells alcohol for on-site consumption (such as a restaurant, which is where it is a major inconvenience to me). I can't carry even if I don't drink. Hopefully SC will change that part of the law soon.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast