Alcohol and concealed carry - Page 6
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol and concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Ummm... just so you become aware.... the police are not expected to intervene if something happens....

Police have no responsibility to protect individuals (reference)
    I think you are taking that WAY out of context.
    LEOs are not legally responsible for the individuals safety...meaning if you are hurt during an assault the LEO isnt responsible...ie YOU cant turn around and sue the LEO because YOU got hurt.

That decision was NOT about law enforcement sitting back and eating donuts while a crime occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    At HOME, friend, you arent a danger to someone else who might be out having a good time.
    I dont want your drunk ass getting into a fight and me, my wife or grandsons being shot because YOU cant aim your gun because of those supposed 'few' drinks youve have.

Personally I think anyone caught drinking while armed should have their CCW license revoked for a year minimum...and in states where they permits arent required the person should be lawfully restricted from carrying for the same duration.

The second offense would be permanent removal of CCW rights/privelidges.

Frankly I dont give a rats rear who disagrees...and I certainly DONT care if some here dont think I understand the Second Amendment or not.

The Second Amendment simply acknowledges the right to bear arms.
    It does NOT recognize YOUR 'right' to put ME needlessly into danger because you cant keep from drinking when your packing a deadly weapon.

There is a difference between drinking and carrying and drinking at home. For the latter the law does allow some leeway as it should since you can't very well be expected to not defend yourself at home just because you had a beer with dinner (and you don't get to choose the point of time you are being attacked).

You should also cut everybody just a little slack because not everybody who ever consumes any alcohol is a drunk. Most are not.

Personally I do not carry and consume since I do not believe it to be a good mix and it's not legal here.

Most states, from my understanding, absolutely prohibit drinking while your armed.
    Honestly, I agree.
    I dont know how many times I went out with friends who said they were just going to have a couple drinks who went home falling down drunk. They had the best intentions, but its just to risky when youre driving or carrying a gun to even take that first drink.

Frankly, Ive turned in guys with guns who were drinking. Its a felony charge here and it should be.
    I agree.

I think you are taking that WAY out of context.
    LEOs are not legally responsible for the individuals safety...meaning if you are hurt during an assault the LEO isnt responsible...ie YOU cant turn around and sue the LEO because YOU got hurt.

That decision was NOT about law enforcement sitting back and eating donuts while a crime occurs.
    No, what it means is that you have to protect yourself/loved ones and that the police will respond after the fact. They don't have to be there even if there is a restraining order and you can't sue if you get hurt/killed because they didn't guard/protect you. If you get hurt by a LEO because they did something wrong, you can sue.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Here in Fla just because a restaurant serves alcohol doesn't mean you can't carry there. It's all about the primary source of income for that establishment - food or alcohol. If alcohol is the primary bread-winner then the place is considered a bar and bars are a "place of nuisance" and carry is prohibited. It's perfectly legal for me to carry in a restaurant in Fla and have a beer or two so long as I'm not considered "intoxicated". The law is designed to prohibit carry in places where people are most likely to get poop-faced.
    I Agree. We have to remember there are power drinkers out there who don't stop after a beer or two as the rest of us do. In NYS there is no law that limits carrying in a bar or restuarant, regardless of source of income. However, booze and bullets are a bad mix. Even where legal the potential for civil action arising out of negligence arises. Alcohol spoils our judgement and sound judgement is paramount when carrying a gun.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Here in Fla just because a restaurant serves alcohol doesn't mean you can't carry there. It's all about the primary source of income for that establishment - food or alcohol. If alcohol is the primary bread-winner then the place is considered a bar and bars are a "place of nuisance" and carry is prohibited. It's perfectly legal for me to carry in a restaurant in Fla and have a beer or two so long as I'm not considered "intoxicated". The law is designed to prohibit carry in places where people are most likely to get poop-faced.
    I do not see any mention of a licensed bar, the law also appears to be vague and so may be declared unconstitutional by the courts. just a quick reshearch got the below. Get a copy of Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership 7 th edition by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq. Very informative.

Chapter 823 - PUBLIC NUISANCES :: 2005 Florida Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

823.05 Places declared a nuisance; may be abated and enjoined.--Whoever shall erect, establish, continue, or maintain, own or lease any building, booth, tent or place which tends to annoy the community or injure the health of the community, or become manifestly injurious to the morals or manners of the people as described in s. 823.01, or shall be frequented by the class of persons mentioned in 1s. 856.02, or any house or place of prostitution, assignation, lewdness or place or building where games of chance are engaged in violation of law or any place where any law of the state is violated, shall be deemed guilty of maintaining a nuisance, and the building, erection, place, tent or booth and the furniture, fixtures and contents are declared a nuisance. All such places or persons shall be abated or enjoined as provided in ss. 60.05 and 60.06.
    History.--s. 1, ch. 7367, 1917; RGS 5639; CGL 7832; s. 24, ch. 57-1; s. 66, ch. 74-383; s. 1, ch. 75-24; s. 41, ch. 75-298.

1Note.--Repealed by s. 3, ch. 72-133.

all this talk about LEOS & Police Officers

to the best of my recollection they are private citizens authorized by our elected servants to investigate crimes and make arrests based upon thier investigation.

does anyone know if this definition is correct or can enhance it?

just curious because from my experience they lack knowlege of article six of the Constititution of the Republic of the United States of America.

not trying to stir the pot. it's already a whirlpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Weird I know I typed it in english but for some reason you anti 2nd amendment people just over looked it.

What makes a government officials safety more important then my safety? If you are willing to let off duty police carry their firearms in to bars for their safety why is it that my right to safety is being infringed upon?
    Well I see that no one has been willing to answer my question. So I will edit it so you will provide an answer.

The questions below is open for answering by any one who can read and comprehend it.

What makes a government officials safety more important then my safety?

If you are willing to let off duty police carry their firearms in to bars for their safety why is it that my right to safety is being infringed upon?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    It's amazing how only one post actually answered the OP question.
    I TOTALLY Agree....
    NavyLT answered the QUESTION that was posed with FACT and not personal opinion.
    Thanks NavyLT for bring common sense to the conversation.

Georgia Law DOES NOT prohibit a person from carrying into a restaurant and actually enjoying dinner and an adult beverage. WITH the owners permission we can even carry into a bar and drink.

The prohibition comes with doing something stupid - DISCHARGING your weapon while under the influence.

Strangely enough - contrary to PERSONAL OPINIONS in this thread and dire predictions when the law was changed, there have been no shoot outs in restaurants or bars caused by law-abiding citizens taking steps to ensure their personal protection while partaking or an adult beverage.

My personal opinion goes both ways - getting stinking drunk at any point is stupid, compound that with carrying or driving is bad news BUT.... I see no reason that I should not be permitted to have dinner in a restaurant and a glass of wine/beer/scotch with my dinner. Same can be said for sitting in a sports bar watching a game on a mega screen and having a beer and wings.
    Since I have to drive home, I am pretty danged careful about my drinking.

Driving, drinking, carrying are all adult activities that require responsible adults to act in a responsible manner. If you feel that YOU cannot be responsible, OK... then don't do it... but don't sit there and promote a mentality that leads to a law that further restricts our 2A rights or the next time you carry... it may only be as far as your front door

btw - you might want to check out John Lott's article on campus carry which points out that license holders (or whatever you call it in your state) are LESS likely to break the law - with our fingerprints on file and background checks done every couple of years... I can't imagine why
    Should Bans Against Carrying Concealed Weapons Be Lifted On College Campuses? - FoxNews.com
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    No, what it means is that you have to protect yourself/loved ones and that the police will respond after the fact. They don't have to be there even if there is a restraining order and you can't sue if you get hurt/killed because they didn't guard/protect you. If you get hurt by a LEO because they did something wrong, you can sue.
    What it means is just what it SAYS.
    LEOS are NOT your personal guardians/body guards. They arent LEGALLY responsible for YOUR life...or loss thereof.
    It does NOT mean that they are allowed to ignore their duties.
    If they dont do their job that is for their superiors to deal with.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast