Effect of Government shutdown on permit renewal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effect of Government shutdown on permit renewal?

1. Effect of Government shutdown on permit renewal?

Hi folks,

Assuming the government shuts down on March 4 (99% chance in my view) it may be a protracted affair and only "emergency" government functions will be up and running.

I stupidly renewed my Florida carry permit with only 5 weeks to go on Feb 14. Under normal circumstances it is somewhat doubtful I will receive the new permit in time when mine expires on March 20.

But given a federal shutdown on March 4, I am wondering what role that will play. Doesn't renewal of a carry permit include an FBI check? In that case I don't think that function will be funded and I will be s*** out of luck until the federal shutdown is over.

Does anybody have any insight into what checks are carried out by states to renew a carry permit?

TIA

The Federal Government can't anymore "shut down" than a supertanker can "skid to a sudden halt". I think everything will run on as if it never happened.

4. Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    The Federal Government can't anymore "shut down" than a supertanker can "skid to a sudden halt". I think everything will run on as if it never happened.
    Thanks I wish that were true but in the 1995-1996 shutdown everything did indeed grind to halt except emergency services.

Hm, okay, I guess I did not experience that first hand, I came here in 98.

I don't think the government would want a shut. The people might find out how much better their life would be without government intrusion. Good for the people bad for the government and government employees.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

handgonnetoter Guest
    Well, here is the way I look at it. At least if they shut down, they can't screw anything else up!

I didn't notice much change in 95/96. I was dog tired from working 3000+ hours on the job in 1994 and ended up having surgery in 1996.

can someone fill me in?

10. When the government shuts down (as in 96) all "non-essential" services are suspended. There is some leeway there as the executive branch can determine whats essential. But last time around pretty much everything closed except for truly essential service like air traffic control.

I was hoping maybe somebody on the board knows if states depend on federal services to renew an existing permit, or they just rubber stamp it after checking the state database.

I don't know for sure but in MI. my renwal just went back to the gun board. It took less time than my buddies permit (he was putting in for the first time). Good luck though.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast