I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry

Exclamation I need need to inform my employer of my permit to carry

Currently my employer has no weapons policy and my Supervisor wants me to talk with the boss and/or owner about me carrying at work. I know as an employer, OSHA requires them to provide a safe work place, and i'm pretty sure their insurance company doesn't require them to ban weapons. I was hoping there were some permit holders here that might have dealt with a similar situation. I was thinking of E-mailing him with some convincing facts to assure him that as a permit holder I am trained, and educated on the laws in MN. I'm aware of a new law in MN that doesn't allow my employer from me keeping a gun locked in my car on company property, but I feel my weapon is safer on my body, rather than locked in my car. Also, I know that some of the general contractors that hire us do ban weapons on the job site, and I have no problem with that. We are a building restoration company and have job sites all around the twin cities, a lot of times in shady neighborhoods. Our warehouse/office isn't even in the best of neighborhoods.
    Anyhow, I was hoping to convince him not to ban weapons on company property or in company vehicles. I have been carrying concealed every day and everywhere since Nov. 2008, and only a handfull of my co-workers who I know I can trust know that I carry.
    ANY input or help on my situation would be greatly helpfull, and please ask if you need to know anything else.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Holio4; 02-23-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: just forgot a sentence

Don't know about your State Laws concerning on premise CC on your Employers property or Job Site. Just looking at it in a business sense, that's a lot of Liability he'll assume if he grants you permission. Plus you won't be CC'ing for his business interests, but for your personal protection. Tough call, good luck.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I'm not a business owner so i'm not really familiar with liability issues, but it does make sense that if I was irresponsible with my gun to where someone innocent got hurt he would have problems. Obviously my opinion doesnt change the law, but if I had to defend myself from a BG, and I am legal in doing so, I alone should be responsible for my actions. I know part of his decision should be based on trust also.

I'm afraid any advice I would offer based on my situation might not help you. My boss all but begged me to get a CCH permit. :) If I wasn't in such a friendly situation I'd carry anyway but keep it to myself.

Sounds like, in your situation, your supervisor is pressing the issue and that's not a good place to be. If you feel like you can make a convincing case to the boss, then that's probably what you should do.

Good luck.

no way

Your supervisor needs to mind his own business. As long as your employer does not have a PUBLISHED policy regarding this issue than yu don't have to inform anyone. Furthermore, if your supervisor decides to take it upon himself to inform the boss, you could have legal options.

This sounds like a lost battle before it even begins.....

I have to say you may have dug your own grave on that one. I can assure you, your employer will not grant you "permission" to carry while at work. Although many people do it anyways, I would say just do it at your own risk, do not seek any kind of permission from them, if anything, they may use it against you in the future and possibly fire you, its happened before.
    Secondly, depends on how easily you can conceal it, your employer is going to look at the risk that clients, other employees, customers, what have you will see it, the possiblility that you go "postal" etc, hes going to weigh all risks involved and probably spoon up some made up BS about anti-gun policies.

Good luck, keep us informed.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

If one person knows you carry everyone knows you carry. So, you kinda screwed the pooch on that one. I don't discuss concealed carry at work and if some one asks me I recite the company policy verbatim from the handbook and change the subject.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

This sounds like one of those forgiveness/permission deals...
    Armed...not dangerous.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_One View Post
    Your supervisor needs to mind his own business. As long as your employer does not have a PUBLISHED policy regarding this issue than yu don't have to inform anyone. Furthermore, if your supervisor decides to take it upon himself to inform the boss, you could have legal options.
    Baron: Sorry to dispute your word but this fellow's supervisor is minding his own business. As the supervisor, he represents the employer and is right in giving him those instructions. Carrying a weapon on the job site is not a decision that an employee can arbitrarily make, licensed or not. I was an HR manager and would have fired anyone carrying a weapon and, if the supervisor knew it and did not report it, he would have also been fired. Don't stake your job on someone telling you you have to have a written policy prohibiting the carry. As for holding the supervisor liable for informing the employer, forget that stuff. He is doing his job!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast