Ruger LCP Has No Safety.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Has No Safety....

1. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Firearm is small for a reason and no safety for a reason. Trigger pull is such that you easily, if you have any intelligence, be able to keep the firearm in a pocket holster or some other holster, not put your finger on the trigger when presenting the firearm, and never have anything close to a discharge. I have a Kel Tec P3AT and there is just no way I find it to be a problem. Not having a chambered cartridge for a close up type of firearm like this is akin to not having the firearm in the first place. Just sayin.
    I agree 101% with this post

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Yes, training is the key, but people who think they can ignore risk because they have been highly trained are the ones most likely to suffer from a mistake.

It seems to me that the only reason for a pistol not to have a manual safety is either to save manufacturing expense or for marketing to the macho.

All the cowboys who imagine themselves being in a quick draw shootout at high noon can just leave than manual safety off. If their friends make fun of them for having a pistol with a manual safety they should be mature enough to know they need to get some new friends.
    This sounds like a typical anti-gun line of thinking rant to me. There are millions of handguns out there without manual safeties, yet there doesn't seem to be blood running in the streets (a phrase I'm sure you're familiar with) because of it.

If for any reason you're uncomfortable with a non-manual safety firearm, great. Don't own one. But don't try to question the character of those of us who do.

Maybe if you were properly trained in firearm safety, this wouldn't be such an issue for you.

On topic: My wife has carried her LCP everyday for the last 3 (or is it 4?) years in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, clipped into her bra, with one in the pipe. Somehow or another she's managed not to shoot herself or anyone else for that matter. When she gets home today I'll have to let her know that some internet busybody says she's immature and macho.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

The LCP does have a safety! Well two if you have a brain. The trigger pull is about 10" maybe a foot long.
    Don't get me wrong I love this gun. Keep it in my front pocket or rear hip pocket in proper holster.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    This sounds like a typical anti-gun line of thinking rant to me. There are millions of handguns out there without manual safeties, yet there doesn't seem to be blood running in the streets (a phrase I'm sure you're familiar with) because of it.

If for any reason you're uncomfortable with a non-manual safety firearm, great. Don't own one. But don't try to question the character of those of us who do.

Maybe if you were properly trained in firearm safety, this wouldn't be such an issue for you.

Your bravado still doesn't respond to my suggestions as to reasons for manufacturing weapons without safeties.

And spare me the "anti-gun" BS. Slogans and pomposity don't help the effort to reduce restrictions on ownership of weapons. Reducing firearm related accidents, however, will have a real impact on swaying public opinion.

Employing my manual safety doesn't reduce the risk of me getting unintentionally shot by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Your bravado still doesn't respond to my suggestions as to reasons for manufacturing weapons without safeties.

And spare me the "anti-gun" BS. Slogans and pomposity don't help the effort to reduce restrictions on ownership of weapons. Reducing firearm related accidents, however, will have a real impact on swaying public opinion.

Employing my manual safety doesn't reduce the risk of me getting unintentionally shot by someone else.
    Wait just a damn second there little fella.

You're the one who used words like "cowboy", "macho" and "immature" for owners of non-manual safety firearms. You're the one who suffers from a bad case keyboard commando bravado. You're the one talking *****.

We're still waiting for you to respond to why you and other anti-gunners think a gun with a manual safety is any safer that one without. Start by swaying our opinion before you try swaying the public.

My guess is that just like the Bradys and VPC you'll come up with nothing more than that's how you feel.
    "I believe we should achieve a national standard on gun control, and that standard should be none whatsoever."

Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    ....except of course KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!

What do you all think about keeping a bullet chambered while an LCP is in a pocket holster? My thinking is that since it's so small, it may be more difficult to unholster and keep your finger(s) away from the trigger while doing it.

I'm going back and forth on this one - would appreciate your input. Thanks
    The long double action only trigger pull is your main "mechanical" safety, as the most excellent Mr Cap Gun pointed out. You may have to "dress around" your weapon when you carry. I prefer pocket carry for the LCP type of gun and wearing pants a little tight in the thigh can make gun access a little difficult. I'm not sure about the ruger lcp, but the kel tec p3at has a safety plate in front of the hammer to prevent accidential discharge. People have their preferences, but I am comfortable not having a manual safety knowing that the only way the hammer will move is by pulling the trigger.

Chambering a round comes down to personal preference. I will you assume you have heard the "When seconds count" speech. I find that double action only firearms make keeping a round in the chamber quite simple and easy to manage.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Safety? We don't need no stickin safety!

Carrying the LCP with an empty chamber is asking for trouble. The LCP is a "mouse gun." As such it has very little slide mass and has to rely on the recoil spring power to function. However, with a small caliber like the .380 you can't get really heavy on the recoil spring because if you do, the round will not be able to overcome the spring to sufficiently eject the fired case.

Therefore, you have a very small window of spring force within which to operate. Ruger has found a spring that works when the slide gets its full amount of travel and can utilize all the energy in the spring (ie doesn't have anything holding it back). The problem comes in when you try to chamber a round manually. If you "slingshot" the slide you won't have a problem. If you "ride" the slide at all you will very possibly reduce the slide velocity enough to prevent the round from chambering. This is a problem in a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Carrying the LCP with an empty chamber is asking for trouble. The LCP is a "mouse gun." As such it has very little slide mass and has to rely on the recoil spring power to function. However, with a small caliber like the .380 you can't get really heavy on the recoil spring because if you do, the round will not be able to overcome the spring to sufficiently eject the fired case.

Therefore, you have a very small window of spring force within which to operate. Ruger has found a spring that works when the slide gets its full amount of travel and can utilize all the energy in the spring (ie doesn't have anything holding it back). The problem comes in when you try to chamber a round manually. If you "slingshot" the slide you won't have a problem. If you "ride" the slide at all you will very possibly reduce the slide velocity enough to prevent the round from chambering. This is a problem in a gunfight.
    I would also add that by carrying an LCP (or P238, P3AT, TCP, P380, Mustang, etc) without a round chambered you reduce your effective ammunition capacity by about 15%. That could make an important difference in the outcome of a violent social interaction.

Thumb safety, grip safety, trigger safety, nothing matters if you aren't thinking and being careful.

The only safety you should need is between your ears.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast