What occurs when a concealed gun is accidentally seen? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What occurs when a concealed gun is accidentally seen?

In Fla you can get written up for a misdemeanor, provided it was accidental and you weren't showing it as a threat of some sort. More than 2 of these in a 3 year period and you'll get your CCW suspended.

This is the #1 reason I want to see Fla's OC bill passed.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

blv the charge is brandishing here in texas, too ... no open carry law (yet) so if it's exposed AND some weenie sees it and gets upset, you could be talking to the law ... I pocket carry most of the time, which pretty much limits the chances of exposure to my pocket falling off ... hey, it COULD happen ...
    "Neatness counts, but bullets often count more." Elvis Cole, World's Greatest Detective

Quote Originally Posted by a1bigtuna View Post
    So that must explain your weapon and hat size. LOL, it was a real question, not a joke question! I may have asked a simple question, but have been shooting for over 55 years, and do not make small talk on ligit questions. And, will not.
    Ah, I am sorry the humor was lost on you.

It varies by state. Look up your local laws. See what the provisions and definitions of brandishing are. See the definitions of CC. Investigate what warrants alarm to justify a terry stop.

You just have to look up your state laws. In WA if I expose my gun to someone intentionally, I am 'brandishing', which is a crime or gross misdemeanor or something. In court, it would have to be proven that I did it intentionally, ie. if my shirt came up over my gun and someone spotted me across the street with a gun, I couldn't really be convicted of brandishing, because it wasn't intentional, I wasn't menacing anyone.

Sorry again for the joke, I assumed that your thread had given you the answers you sought already.

5. Thanks, and sorry for the thin skin. I just got a Utah and Florida CCW and am having a little trouble understanding how in a state that allows open carry and I am carrying concealed and by accident show a gun, how that could get me in trouble. I can understand if I am carrying concealed with no permit catching all kinds of hell, but just by accident with no intent? But, have heard of issues from those that know about this stuff. So, am getting answers. Thanks

Thanks, and sorry for the thin skin. I just got a Utah and Florida CCW and am having a little trouble understanding how in a state that allows open carry and I am carrying concealed and by accident show a gun, how that could get me in trouble. I can understand if I am carrying concealed with no permit catching all kinds of hell, but just by accident with no intent? But, have heard of issues from those that know about this stuff. So, am getting answers. Thanks
    Not a problem! Text is a terrible way to relate to people and I have an uncommon sense of humor so I can't expect anyone to quite understand my tone.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    In Fla you can get written up for a misdemeanor, provided it was accidental and you weren't showing it as a threat of some sort. More than 2 of these in a 3 year period and you'll get your CCW suspended.

This is the #1 reason I want to see Fla's OC bill passed.
    That is why I support it too. Chicago can claim to be the windy city but S Florida is no slouch on winds in the 25-55 MPH range.

Thanks, and sorry for the thin skin. I just got a Utah and Florida CCW and am having a little trouble understanding how in a state that allows open carry and I am carrying concealed and by accident show a gun, how that could get me in trouble. I can understand if I am carrying concealed with no permit catching all kinds of hell, but just by accident with no intent? But, have heard of issues from those that know about this stuff. So, am getting answers. Thanks
    Unless i missed it, you didn't state what state you are in. but based on the above post:

If your state allows open carry then don't worry about if it accidentally pops out when you reach for that upper shelf in the store, or squat to reach the lower shelf. Generally, brandishing usually has to have mal intent. Some panty wetter may call in s MWAG but any LEO worth his badge should see that there is no trouble afoot and not bother you.

9. I am in Calif. so no CCW for me here. Just was hearing about an accidental showing of a gun (in a state where the permit is good) causing the law in. I just had a hard time thinking someone with a CCW permit in a state recognizing that permit would consider it a crime if someone saw it by accident. Just doesn't make sense. but, have heard enough to want to see what those out there that know about this, would inform me about what could happen. Thanks

In Texas it must be intentional. Proving it wasn't might be another thing, depending on the circumstances.
    Brandishing=Verb: Wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement. From Websters Dictionary.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

The history that I've learned is that in all states (obviously) open and concealed carry were legal. About 100 years ago it seemed apparent that the outlaws would conceal carry so many states outlawed it and open carry has always been legal, people have just... forgot?

Now today the average person not knowing the history feel we should have an extra license or outlaw open carry.

To me its like saying if your religious you have to always cover your bible in public so you don't offend someone.

I'm glad to be in Michigan where I can do both. I do try to do one extreme or the other or some will 'think' I'm trying to hide my gun becouse I must be an outlaw.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast