If it's legal to open carry, and concealed carry with a permit... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If it's legal to open carry, and concealed carry with a permit...

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan24 View Post
    Huh. I've just heard some stories of friends getting in trouble for having an exposed firearm. I guess the police officer said it has to be either concealed or open, and can't be one of the two. Then again, some, if not most, officers don't know the laws. Not saying all, but most.

So this is for everyone. I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS THREAD! I AM AND IDIOT AND DIDN'T LOOK UP THE LAWS! Haha
    No no, i didn't mean it like that.

I have no doubt that a LEO has falsely arrested someone somewhere for brandishing, but I'd like to see a court case where someone was actually convicted. Now if there is a state law for exposing the firearm, well thats a little different.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

3. Quote Originally Posted by rushfan24 View Post
    Huh. I've just heard some stories of friends getting in trouble for having an exposed firearm. I guess the police officer said it has to be either concealed or open, and can't be one of the two. Then again, some, if not most, officers don't know the laws. Not saying all, but most.

So this is for everyone. I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS THREAD! I AM AND IDIOT AND DIDN'T LOOK UP THE LAWS! Haha
    You are just fine... there's nothing wrong with your post.... you just have to remember that just because a police officer arrests someone, does not mean that they did anything illegal.

Brandishing means bringing a firearm into view that previously was not in view or calling attention to an already exposed firearm for the purpose of threatening or coercing someone.

An example of NOT brandishing is the "Virginia tuck". Concealed firearms are not allowed in Virginia in restaurants that serve alcohol. But openly carried firearms are. So a lot of concealed carriers in Virginia, when the enter such a restaurant, will simply tuck their shirt in behind the gun so it isn't concealed anymore.

If a person is wearing their gun, and they take no action to expose it or call attention to it with the purpose of coercion or threatening - it's not brandishing.

A small minority of cops out there just don't like the sight of a citizen carrying a gun.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I have just seen many people walking around with guns on there sides, and I don't have a problem, but I can see where other people would be uneasy. I just thought for some reason it was illegal to have a partially exposed pistol. That actually makes my decision for how I'm going to carry a lot easier. But that raises another question for me. I feel like a newbie asking this, but would it be considered concealed or open if you can see the gun through your shirt, like if you could see the silhouette of it? Just curious as to what it would be considered seeing as it's not completely visible, yet you can definitely tell I was packing?

5. Are you and aibigtuna related? Something is smelling fishy....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Are you and aibigtuna related? Something is smelling fishy....
    I don't even know who that is haha. I was just wondering if anyone had any info one the subject haha

EDIT: Wow, I feel like such an idiot now. I am going to go and act like I didn't even write the above post and go read the other thread haha. Sorry about my stupidity, it's been a long day haha

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    ...I'd like to see a court case where someone was actually convicted....
    Then keep an eye on what happens with Skidmark's trial. He was accused of brandishing his finger in one of the most bizarre charges I've ever seen in VA. I couldn't believe the arrest paperwork survived even a cursory review by the Commonwealth attorney, let alone was allowed to proceed to trial.

3X PM

...would it be considered concealed or open if you can see the gun through your shirt, like if you could see the silhouette of it? Just curious as to what it would be considered seeing as it's not completely visible, yet you can definitely tell I was packing?
    That would be concealed and other states call that printing... but as its been said all legal in Mich.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THIS THREAD! I AM AND IDIOT AND DIDN'T LOOK UP THE LAWS! Haha
    Accepted.

However, let me point out a basic flaw in your original supposition.

If part of your firearm is visible, then (by definition) it is not concealed. Here in Nevada (an OC state), it's no big deal really if your concealed firearm is accidentally displayed...say by the wind blowing your vest open, etc.

However, I carry concealed simply because I don't want anyone to know I'm armed. I'm not the least bit interested in entertaining anybody's questions about my gun...yadda, yadda, yadda. I'll leave that "fun" to the OC folks and the people who wear CCW badges.

I just thought for some reason it was illegal to have a partially exposed pistol.
    One thing to remember is this. A partially exposed firearm such as an IWB holster with part of the gun concealed inside your pants would be considered a concealed weapon. As such if you don't have your CCW permit you could be in violation of the law.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast