Carrying concealed, should I feel this way? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying concealed, should I feel this way?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Unfortunately there's a small group of people on this site who seem to be really eager to shoot somebody. It appears as though that's why they bought their guns. A lot of tough talk, chest-thumping, and calling other people cowards for not agreeing with their agressive, testosterone-fueled claims of what they're gonna do in this situation or that situation. I hope in reality they're just filled with hot air. They make the rest of us look bad and give the anti-gun lobby more ammo (pun intended).

Carry your weapon to defend yourself and family from real threats, not from people who call you a name or cut you off in traffic.
    First if I did not make myself clear and was misunderstood I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone. Second Im not trying to stir things up but I hope that you are not refering to me. I am not a hot-head or a chest-thumper and into calling other people cowards. I absolutely do not look forward to shooting anybody. I do not put myself in hazzardous situations if I can avoid it. I do not go looking for trouble and will retreat if at all possible. Third if you are referring to me, you do not know any of the situations I found myself in so I will tell about one of the times I defended myself. I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic so I couldnt go anywhere. I had my arthritic wife with me. I saw an enraged man on foot with a tire iron in his left hand kicking occupied cars that like me are stuck in traffic. I saw him reach into some cars that were occupied. I saw him break the window with the tire-iron on an occupied car right in front of me. I saw him stand up about 30 feet in front of me and heard him yell at the stopped cars 'IM GONNA KILL ALL OF YA', then when I saw him turn and come at my car I felt my life and that of my wifes was in danger. So I acted to stop the threat. The man imediately retreated and literally 2 minutes later the police were on scene and arrested the man. During those 2 minutes my wife or myself could have been seriously hurt or killed. Would I have shot the man? Yes if he had not retreated. Soon after I explained to a leo what I had done and the leo said I acted properly. Lastly the vast majority of us on this site constantly think about what we would do in various situations. Some present a scenario and ask what would you do? This is very helpful. I(and the people on this site) consider the carrying of a gun to be an awesome responsibility not to be taken lightly. Some of us share our stories on this site and others ask questions about why they feel the way they do. Im glad they do because it shows they are thinking and helping us(me) to think. After all the most important asset any of us have in any situation is our brain. So anybody disagree?

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    I've read a lot of articles of peoples experiences while carrying. I mostly read these topics because it makes me think of things to watch out for in the world I may not think of on my own.

I do seem to find that there are a bunch of people who always say how much of a responsibility we have as CCW holders and we have a power to take the life of someone or disfigure them. It seems by carrying a weapon all of a sudden that they feel this way. Wouldn't that be a thought that pops in to your head when you decide to buy the gun in the first place? You are buying a weapon to defend yourself and/or your family, what do you think is gonna happen when you have to use it? When you fire that weapon and you hit your target there is going to be a devastating result.

I dont know, maybe I dont think on that level yet. I know when I went to buy my carry weapon that I knew what I was buying it for and knew what it is capable of. I know exactly what will happen if I ever need to squeeze that trigger.

What are your thoughts?
    Well, if someone is going to carry, then they need to keep what they are actually doing in mind all the time. That is a no brainer. The results of having to use the weapon can be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    First if I did not make myself clear and was misunderstood I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone. Second Im not trying to stir things up but I hope that you are not refering to me.
    Definitely not referring to you. I doubt if the folks that I have in mind will show up on this thread, but you never know......
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I(and the people on this site) consider the carrying of a gun to be an awesome responsibility not to be taken lightly. Some of us share our stories on this site and others ask questions about why they feel the way they do. Im glad they do because it shows they are thinking and helping us(me) to think. After all the most important asset any of us have in any situation is our brain. So anybody disagree?
    I agree 100%. When I strap on a gun (just about every time I leave the house) the last thing I want to do is get into a confrontation. Twice in my CC life have I laid my hand on my gun yet neither time did I brandish it. The threats never knew I had a gun as I kept it out of sight. In both cases the situation defused itself and everyone went their separate ways. There are some, however, who seem to actively seek a situation where they can "flash their piece" and maybe even shoot somebody with it. These people can't wait to bait somebody into doing something to justify a reaction with potentially deadly force. I truly hope they are just "keyboard ninjas" and not the slack-jawed, knuckle-dragging cavemen they come across as.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Definitely not referring to you. I doubt if the folks that I have in mind will show up on this thread, but you never know......
    OK no problem then.

7. After several years of carrying I have come to terms with the fact that I carry with me "half the power of God" (I can take a life but not give it back) I do not EVER want to have to draw a weapon and fire it.

Responsible Concealed carry means being aware of your surroundings and avoiding cirumstances that could cause you to need your gun. If you know you are going someplace where you are going to need a gun, don't go. It also means learning and practicing conflict resolution and never escalating a situation to where it may lead to violence.

Adding to the above everyone who carries regularly must decide for themselves when they will intervene on behalf of a stranger. My personal feelings are that if I am in a confined space with an agressor such as a convenience store robbery and I can intervene without endangering a bystander I will act. However If I come upon a situation where I have the ability to retreat rather than intervene I feel that retreat is preferable.

Any cop will tell you that it can be very dangerous to intervene in another's private dispute (such as domestic violence) and can be nearly impossible to sort out who the real agressor is. I do not carry a fiream so that I can be a citizen cop. I carry to protect my life and those of my family. If in the act of doing that I save someone else who happens to be there so much the better. But I will not place my life or future at risk for the sake of a situation that I do not fully understand and in which am not otherwise involved.

I carried concealed for years when I lived in Virginia, and I'm currently waiting for my FL CCW License. Before that, I spent 6 years as an LEO in the NOVA/Washington DC area. I've drawn my weapon but luckily, I've never had to use it.

I fully understand the responsibility that I take on whenever I put my weapon on my hip. Anyone who doesn't is, IMHO, unfit to carry a handgun.

9. First gun...

I hate to say it but I bought my first gun because I am scared of our Government, they no longer care or want to protect us or our rights (look at the border, radical Muslims/terrorists, TSA, Gunwalker)! I firmly believe that given the chance, Mr Obama would deny us our 2A! It's amazing how the libs scream about protecting the 1st Amend but want to BAN the 2nd Amend! You can not have the 1st without the 2nd!

The vast majority of people purchase their firearms for hunting/ play time at the range. Only when something goes bump in the night do they think about using it on a human.

You see it all the time on here, new members who have owned their said firearms for years are only now are getting into concealed carry.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Cool

Unfortunately there's a small group of people on this site who seem to be really eager to shoot somebody. It appears as though that's why they bought their guns. A lot of tough talk, chest-thumping, and calling other people cowards for not agreeing with their agressive, testosterone-fueled claims of what they're gonna do in this situation or that situation. I hope in reality they're just filled with hot air. They make the rest of us look bad and give the anti-gun lobby more ammo (pun intended).

Carry your weapon to defend yourself and family from real threats, not from people who call you a name or cut you off in traffic.
    My wife never liked to carry a gun or even be around one. When going fishing one day, she carried her .38 in a large purse (more to shoot snakes than anything else). I gave it to her just before leaving for Vietnam. She was with her mother and our children on the bank when a man approached them and started talking to them. As he talked to them, he kept inching toward them with a rather menacing look. For once, she remembered what I had told her and just put her hand in her purse and on the gun. He noticed how she was holding her hand and, apparently, thought better of trying to bother them and left. To this day, she does not complain about having a gun around. In a lot of cases, just an implied threat of having a gun on your person is a deterrent to having some BG act stupid. I really don't think most people want to actually shoot someone, only to be left alone and not have to fear for their safety.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast