Practice Ammunition Foe A 45 Caliber Hand Gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice Ammunition Foe A 45 Caliber Hand Gun

I don't buy practice ammunition. I load my own, mostly 200gr. LSWCs and Bullseye in the .45acp.

Back in 1979 I decided that practice and competition ammunition was FAR too expensive to buy from the store. It hasn't gotten one bit cheaper since then.

I like to shoot a lot. I couldn't afford to do it if I bought ammunition, other than self-defense ammunition.

There's an upfront cost for equipment but it paid for itself in weeks on two different Dillon RL550Bs. If you buy something cheaper and simpler, like an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, the initial cost is significantly lower.

In addition, you can have the ammunition YOU want. Nobody around here sells bullseye handgun loads for the .45acp, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody ANYWHERE even loads my .30-06 target load of a 200gr. Sierra Match King and IMR4350.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I don't buy practice ammunition. I load my own, mostly 200gr. LSWCs and Bullseye in the .45acp.

Back in 1979 I decided that practice and competition ammunition was FAR too expensive to buy from the store. It hasn't gotten one bit cheaper since then.

I like to shoot a lot. I couldn't afford to do it if I bought ammunition, other than self-defense ammunition.

There's an upfront cost for equipment but it paid for itself in weeks on two different Dillon RL550Bs. If you buy something cheaper and simpler, like an RCBS Rock Chucker kit, the initial cost is significantly lower.

In addition, you can have the ammunition YOU want. Nobody around here sells bullseye handgun loads for the .45acp, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody ANYWHERE even loads my .30-06 target load of a 200gr. Sierra Match King and IMR4350.
    Only one problem, many ranges do not allow reloads for insurance reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Only one problem, many ranges do not allow reloads for insurance reasons.
    I've seen ranges that didn't allow lead bullets.

I've NEVER seen a range which didn't allow reloads. I wouldn't waste time on one that didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    What do I use when shooting a 1911 which takes 45mm ammunition at the range? Do they sell ammunition to practice with?
    If you're not interested in reloading and want a reasonably-priced source of practice ammo, take a look at Feral Ammo.

Practice Ammunition. Practice is the key to success. That is true whether you are talking about shooting, engineering, military operations, or defense. Practice takes dedication, time, deliberation, and money. In today's economy, maximize your practice with remanufactured ammo from Feral Ammunition. We use only high quality cast lead and plated bullets to maximize performance and minimize cost. In fact, our remanufactured line is competitively priced with the best home reloads! We use only clean, inspected, once fired brass to reduce cost but maintain quality. We also offer a line of equivalent factory new ammunition for those who desire.

UNQUOTE

3X PM

Take a look at CCC Ammo. They make quality remanufactured ammo and every now and then they have 45s at a very good price. I just got a shipment from them and it looks as good as factory stuff.

8. Quote Originally Posted by rock919 View Post
    I use Remington UMC for my Sig Sauer P226R. It is a 9mm. What do I use when shooting a 1911 which takes 45mm ammunition at the range? Do they sell ammunition to practice with? I understand I can use snap caps which are rubber bullets. I am inquiring about a bullet which would actually be used for target practice? I would appreciate your response.
    Since you are up in Kennesaw, check out Georgia Arms over in Villa Rica. He's also on the 'net at Georgia Arms Any of his round nose or round nose flat point stuff will work. He's close enough to you that a trip over and back would save you a pretty penny in shipping.

I have been using Gunn Ammo (produced here in Georgia) almost exclusively for all my guns (9mm, .40 & .45)

Ammunition sales Gunn Ammo 9mm 38 special
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

I have been using Gunn Ammo (produced here in Georgia) almost exclusively for all my guns (9mm, .40 & .45)

Very clean.... and at least as accurate as I am

Ammunition sales Gunn Ammo 9mm 38 special
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

I assume you're satisfied with the 9mm Remington UMC you're using as range ammo. I use Remington UMC for my range sessions with my .45 ACP 1911. In my area, Walmart sells the Remington UMC 250-round boxes at a very competitive price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast