Another reciprocity agreement question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another reciprocity agreement question

Another reciprocity agreement question

Hope someone can answer my question. Since many Alaskans visit WA on a regular basis,I'm surprised WA doesn't recognize our CCW permits or even have an agreement with AK. Heck at one time,Alaskans didn't have to pay sales tax when shopping. Since my kids live in WA,I want to visit and also carry my guns. Anyone know why certain states won't recognize another's CCW permits? Is it politics or what. My next trip I'll see about getting a CCW permit so I won't have any worries. In my mind,once a person qualifies for a CCW permit,it should be good for ever state that allows them.

Good question. After checking I noticed that a lot of states don't honor WA permits either. I guess not enough money has changed hands.

Quote Originally Posted by retirednak View Post
    Hope someone can answer my question. Since many Alaskans visit WA on a regular basis,I'm surprised WA doesn't recognize our CCW permits or even have an agreement with AK. Heck at one time,Alaskans didn't have to pay sales tax when shopping. Since my kids live in WA,I want to visit and also carry my guns. Anyone know why certain states won't recognize another's CCW permits? Is it politics or what. My next trip I'll see about getting a CCW permit so I won't have any worries. In my mind,once a person qualifies for a CCW permit,it should be good for ever state that allows them.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by retirednak View Post
    I live here in Washington and it suprises me how few states that Washington recognizes only about 8 or 9. However there is about 18-19 states that recognize Washingtons permit. It is real easy to get a non-resident permit here and it is good for 5 years. But you must apply in person at any sheriff office. If you check this sites permit info section you will get the information on how to apply and you can also check the maps on what states Washington recognizes as well as what states recognize Washington. As far as why some states recognize and others dont? Part law part politics. Some states such as Alaska and Idaho(among others) will recognize everyones. Other states like California and New York(among others) barely recognize their own. Illinois and Wisconsin dont issue at all. Yes I agree with you that states should recognize each others permit just like a drivers licence. There is a bill under consideration in Congress that would require this. For more information check the forum thread entitled I believe its called-National Reciprocity bill introduced. Have a good one.

You can open carry in Washington without a permit (except you have to unload the gun when inside a vehicle...)

$55.25 for the Washington CPL, no training requirement, just go to any LEO agency office and apply (if not a Washington resident.)
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The only time I open carry is when I'm in bear country,besides my hog leg is too damn big to try and carry concealed. I wouldn't feel comfortable open carrying,I get the same feeling when I'm unable to carry concealed. Just doesn't feel right. As far as AK,WA and OR not recognizing CCW permits,there must have been some kind off pissing match and everybody went away mad.
    Hopefully if things go well,the wife and me can start RVing the lower 48 next winter and I would like to be able to carry in all the states,except CA and it will be a cold day before they hand out a non-res CCW permit.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    You can open carry in Washington without a permit (except you have to unload the gun when inside a vehicle...)

$55.25 for the Washington CPL, no training requirement, just go to any LEO agency office and apply (if not a Washington resident.)
    First, there are 19 states which honor WA's CHL/P. Second, the BOLD above is likely why some of the other states don't honor WA's CHL/P - if there is no actual training requirement for said CHL/P, then some states which require the training don't honor those who don't. I'm not saying it's always the case, but that's what I've read elsewhere previously.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    First, there are 19 states which honor WA's CHL/P. Second, the BOLD above is likely why some of the other states don't honor WA's CHL/P - if there is no actual training requirement for said CHL/P, then some states which require the training don't honor those who don't. I'm not saying it's always the case, but that's what I've read elsewhere previously.
    I agree 100% with your statement Griffworks... Most States require a Training Course that covers State Statutes and Gun Safety, plus a shooting range qualification, it only makes good common sense to me.
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    I agree 100% with your statement Griffworks... Most States require a Training Course that covers State Statutes and Gun Safety, plus a shooting range qualification, it only makes good common sense to me.
    Why? We aren't having any problems in the states that require no training for a permit, or that don't require a permit at all.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Why? We aren't having any problems in the states that require no training for a permit, or that don't require a permit at all.
    My Indiana permits requires no class or shooting test, but my Utah permit did. I don't care one way or the other personally.

Agree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast