Getting your permit for hunting/target 1st, then getting your CCW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting your permit for hunting/target 1st, then getting your CCW

Question Getting your permit for hunting/target 1st, then getting your CCW

Just received my target/hunting permit today from the Sheriff's office (NY - been 3 months from the start to today to receive). Went to see the Judge personally 5 weeks ago about my CCW. The Judge told me that I would receive a letter from him personally stating if I was approved/denied regarding the CCW. The Judge told me it could be a while before I hear from him (originally received a personal letter from the Judge 7 weeks ago stating that he wanted to meet with me). My ? is, is it normal to get your target/hunting permit 1st and then if the Judge approves, you get the CCW permit sent to you?? Thanks

Sure glad I don't live in NY.
    Ruger LCP and Springfield XD-9 subcompact

No normally what permit you are issued is it... Having said that continue to seek redress through the judge for your carry permit. NY is county by county so it all depends on the mindset of the judge in your county. if all else fails try to elect a pro 2A judge next election

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Grunt View Post
    No normally what permit you are issued is it... Having said that continue to seek redress through the judge for your carry permit. NY is county by county so it all depends on the mindset of the judge in your county. if all else fails try to elect a pro 2A judge next election
    I'll wait it out a few more weeks and see. The first letter I received was a personal typed letter from the Judge requesting additional info and meeting. When we had the meeting he specifically told me 5 weeks ago that I would receive another letter directly from him in due time. Who knows, but we will see.............

The restrictions on your permit are administrative rather than by statute. So you can't be prosecuted for violating them but you could have your permit revoked if you violate hem.

What reason did you give the judge for wanting an unrestricted concealed carry permit?

Here in Florida you can use your hunters safety course certificate for proof of firearms training. Thats what I did. I killed two birds with one stone and saved money.

However it is a good idea to take some sort of firearms training course. I've taken many defensive pistol courses and ran scenario courses for training. Might save your life in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    Just received my target/hunting permit today from the Sheriff's office (NY - been 3 months from the start to today to receive). Went to see the Judge personally 5 weeks ago about my CCW. The Judge told me that I would receive a letter from him personally stating if I was approved/denied regarding the CCW. The Judge told me it could be a while before I hear from him (originally received a personal letter from the Judge 7 weeks ago stating that he wanted to meet with me). My ? is, is it normal to get your target/hunting permit 1st and then if the Judge approves, you get the CCW permit sent to you?? Thanks
    Perhaps I can help.

Most people have incorrect info about NYS. Once you get your full CCW you'll have more freedom than in many "gun friendly" states. Yes, your experience is quite normal. We generally advise students to seek a permit for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, target, competition and while carrying large sums of money. Wait about a year and request an amendment to upgrade to an unrestricted permit. During the interim take the class "NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home." This shows the judge that you are committed to education, responsibility and an understanding of the law. You can contact me directly and I'll provide sample letters to send your judge. We're also offering this class on 3/19 an 3/20 in Plattekill, NY. I have three seats remaining. There are four instructors on the line and we don't go home until every student is satisfied. We offer USA Carry posters/members the class for half price ($100). Another trick is to become an NRA certified pistol instructor and then request the CCW permit. There are too many locations and times when you may be carrying for class. Judges tend to lift restrictions for business owners as well. If you carry sums of money your judge will be more likely to ease up. In 12 years of teaching and thousands of students I've only seen one denial of a permit, and it was justified.

For those who have a poor opinion of NY, you must understand that NY City is where the problem is. It's another country. Full of liberals with strong anti-gun sentiment. Lot's of foreigner from countries where guns are outlawed. Upstate is different. More regular folks and a lot of permits. The problem is that NYC has nearly 9 million people on a 12 X 4 mile island and they control the vote for the whole state. However, once one gets the permit there are very few issues. I've only seen a "no guns" sign once... on HSBC bank. We can carry in bars, restuarants, public transportation, in parks, malls, hospitals... pretty much anywhere. There are only two counties that require renewals, in the rest of the state your permit is good for life. There are no limits to the number of handguns you can own.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Here in Florida you can use your hunters safety course certificate for proof of firearms training. Thats what I did. I killed two birds with one stone and saved money.

However it is a good idea to take some sort of firearms training course. I've taken many defensive pistol courses and ran scenario courses for training. Might save your life in the long run.
    FL is great! In NY you must take "NRA First Steps Pistol" to get a permit. There is no qualifier or shooting requirement. I order the FL non-resident applications and provide them as part of the NY class so the students can get a reciprocity in 34 states. They get their FL permit in a few weeks, way before the NY permit arrives. Gotta love that state.

BTW, my wife is from West palm and we have a winter house in Jupiter near the inlet. Beautiful area. What part of FL are ya'll from?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The restrictions on your permit are administrative rather than by statute. So you can't be prosecuted for violating them but you could have your permit revoked if you violate hem.

What reason did you give the judge for wanting an unrestricted concealed carry permit?
    You are correct that the restrictions are enforced by administration (not criminal) but they are by statute. Depending on the severity of the violation a judge may revoke permanently or opt to suspend the permit for a period.

ARTICLE 400--LICENSING AND OTHER PROVISIONS RELATING TO FIREARMS

See 400.00(2)(f)

Paragraph-2 states:

A license for a pistol or revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be issued to (a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder; (b) have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper; (c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed by a banking institution or express company; (d) have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or the New York city criminal court; (e) have and carry concealed while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keeper; (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof;

The "proper cause" provision of Sub-paragraph (f) constitutes any restrictions placed on the carry of a pistol as determined by the licensing officer. A permit holder found to be in violation of this paragraph is not subject to prosecution but may have his/her permit revoked for a violation.

Crazy isn't it? Another bugger is in Article 265 - FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS. This section of the penal law states that it is illegal for any person to posses a loaded firearm. Then in 265.20 you are exempted from criminal possession of a weapon if you've been issued a license under ARTICLE 400. Unfortunately I get to teach this crap. You should see the puzzled look on students' faces. Very ambiguous and contradictory laws.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I am in Catt. county in NYS and i had my no restriction CCW in 8 weeks. No class needed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast