alcohol legality - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: alcohol legality

Legal?

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGAtl View Post
    Here in Georgia....

it is not ILLEGAL to drink while carrying... prolly not a great idea unless in
    considerable moderation... but not against the law...
    So .... have that glass of wine with dinner at that fancy restaurant WITH your side arm strapped on - one of the few times that I will recommend CC
    cause you KNOW how folks are...
    It may be legal to have a drink, but if you are stopped for any reason and the cop has any reason to think you have consumed any alcohol he can have you take a breathalayzer test. The legal limit is .08, but you could blow .04 or less and if he said your actions were eratic, you could be charged with being under the influince. You might be able to beat it but it would cost you thousands of dollars, and if you lost, you have lost a lot. For my safety I do not have even a half glass of wine with dinner when out, but at home it is different.

Although it is not illegal to drink and cc in NY, I can't imagine why anyone would do so. When I'm armed it is because I have a concern about being in a situation where I may need to use deady force. I don't carry a handgun to show it off. I'm not going to reduce my ability to use my weapon by any amount of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceGAtl View Post
    Here in Georgia....

it is not ILLEGAL to drink while carrying... prolly not a great idea unless in
    considerable moderation...
    Unfortunately, I used to have some close proximity neighbors who used to show up on the weekends about 6 hillbilly types pile out of their rustbuckets with 2 carrying AR-15 and 2 carrying cases of beer. A very unfortunate situation when you live outside the city limits.

We don't need no stinkin alcoholic beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by rahlquist View Post
    Unfortunately, I used to have some close proximity neighbors who used to show up on the weekends about 6 hillbilly types pile out of their rustbuckets with 2 carrying AR-15 and 2 carrying cases of beer. A very unfortunate situation when you live outside the city limits.
    Why are you pickin' on hillbillies? They could just as easily be bankers or stock brokers. You didn't mention blindfolds, so I'm sure you're safe. My neighbor puts on a blindfold and shoots clay pigeons in his back yard. I don't care how long you cook them, they're still tuff.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    It may be legal to have a drink, but if you are stopped for any reason and the cop has any reason to think you have consumed any alcohol he can have you take a breathalayzer test. The legal limit is .08, but you could blow .04 or less and if he said your actions were eratic, you could be charged with being under the influince. You might be able to beat it but it would cost you thousands of dollars, and if you lost, you have lost a lot. For my safety I do not have even a half glass of wine with dinner when out, but at home it is different.
    If I blew a .04 I'd be concidered DUI. No way out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brcombs View Post
    Whether it is "ok" or not, I prefer to not drink at all while carrying. IF I should have to use my weapon and it came out that I had even 1 drink, a shrewd attorney could use that against me in a criminal trial or, more importantly, in a civil trial.

It could prove to be very costly, and is not worth it.
    You are very right! I think that this is the most important point that can be made.

I hadn't considered this. When I carry I am prepared to do what it takes to defend myself and others, but if there is any alcohol in my system I am not protecting myself from legal ramifications.

This isn't to say that I have ever been drunk while carrying (or ever).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12