Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc... - Page 13
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    I agree. You don't issue a drivers license without some driver training or proving to someone you can drive. A car is a big weapon. A gun is like any other tool, if you don't know how to use it get some training or stay away from it.
    pertaining to drivers licenses: Jack McLamb is/or was a Police Officer

Right to Travel

United States Code: Title 18 is the criminal

United States Code: Title 18,31. Definitions | LII / Legal Information Institute

SCOTUS Opinion/UScourts: these are useful if you understand the differences of juristiction. Common Law, Admiralty, Uniform Commercial Code (all 50 States use this).

http://www.supremelaw.org/sls/email/box036/msg03678.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Do you want my opinion, or the actual history ?

When the Constitution was written blacks were considered property not people and were not allowed to own guns. That's history whether you like it or not.

IMO self defense is a basic human right and unless you have proven yourself unfit to own firearms you should be allowed to do so.
    Jeez, I am not disagreeing with you regarding the constitution applying only to whites. Just asking when it covered blacks. Since I knew the answer when I asked the question, I will let it drop.

Point being, anyone who says the 2nd amendment should be followed "as written", as many on this site have stated, should be careful. Especially when throwing around the race card, as some, not necessarily you, have done on this thread.

Like you,I also agree that those who are unfit to own firearms should not be allowed to own them, not because it will prevent crime, but because it is another way to impose severe penalties against them when they commit a crime. I don't see anything in the 2nd amendment that backs up our shared belief, Treo. But I have no problem with it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Like you,I also agree that those who are unfit to own firearms should not be allowed to own them, not because it will prevent crime, but because it is another way to impose severe penalties against them when they commit a crime. I don't see anything in the 2nd amendment that backs up our shared belief, Treo. But I have no problem with it.
    The problem with making a statement like that is, the next thing you know a person who had one misdemeanor conviction for domestic 50 years ago, with a perfectly clean record since then, is unfit for life to possess a firearm. Unfortunately, we simply cannot trust the politicians to make "reasonable regulations". Nor can we trust them to do what the majority of Americans want. After all, they do know what's best for everyone else, right?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Jeez, I am not disagreeing with you regarding the constitution applying only to whites. Just asking when it covered blacks. Since I knew the answer when I asked the question, I will let it drop.

Point being, anyone who says the 2nd amendment should be followed "as written", as many on this site have stated, should be careful. Especially when throwing around the race card, as some, not necessarily you, have done on this thread.

Sorry guy , I miss understood you.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    The problem with making a statement like that is, the next thing you know a person who had one misdemeanor conviction for domestic 50 years ago, with a perfectly clean record since then, is unfit for life to possess a firearm. Unfortunately, we simply cannot trust the politicians to make "reasonable regulations". Nor can we trust them to do what the majority of Americans want. After all, they do know what's best for everyone else, right?
    To add to this statement you have to define what "Unfit" means. It will not mean the same to everyone. I agree big brother knows what is best for us. Trouble is some of us are not listening.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    This is a valid point, and I do not disagree that politicians are possibly the worst decision makers in history. I really don't trust them to set speed limits, or regulations regarding home mortgages either. I don't want someone like me, who was fined for "possession and transportation of a case of budweiser" at age 19 to be barred from owning guns, because some politico decided that made me unfit to own a gun. So I hear you, but I also don't want us to make it easy and without ramifications for someone with a history of using guns in crime to go buy one legally. Of course, if we locked up felons for life, or made better use of the death penalty, that would solve some of this.

I guess I just don't think anyone who shoots someone while robbing a liquor store should ever be able to own a gun. But I don't think they should ever get out amongst society again, either. Tough darts for those few who sincerely repent and won't do any harm anymore. They made a choice, and made the wrong one.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Sorry guy , I miss understood you.
    No problem. I think we generally agree. Next time I won't post when I just woke up so I can be more clear.

This was on the main page of this site.

Tennessee Market Shootout Highlights Need for Training | USA Carry

Just one more reason why I feel that training is preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    This is a valid point, and I do not disagree that politicians are possibly the worst decision makers in history. I really don't trust them to set speed limits, or regulations regarding home mortgages either. I don't want someone like me, who was fined for "possession and transportation of a case of budweiser" at age 19 to be barred from owning guns, because some politico decided that made me unfit to own a gun. So I hear you, but I also don't want us to make it easy and without ramifications for someone with a history of using guns in crime to go buy one legally. Of course, if we locked up felons for life, or made better use of the death penalty, that would solve some of this.

I guess I just don't think anyone who shoots someone while robbing a liquor store should ever be able to own a gun. But I don't think they should ever get out amongst society again, either. Tough darts for those few who sincerely repent and won't do any harm anymore. They made a choice, and made the wrong one.
    We would need to redefine what it means to be a felon if we were to keep all felons in jail for the rest of their lives. Not that long ago, it was a felony to possess over a certain amount of marijuana. Would you have someone imprisoned for life for that crime? SCOTUS has already ruled that to be cruel and unusual punishment.

Then we have to consider the cost of incarcerating all these felons for life. where will we house them? How will we pay to feed them? Do you recommend that we execute them all and be done with it? I support the death penalty for some crimes, but not felony tax evasion, et al.

I don't believe that felons should be allowed to possess firearms I feel that they gave up that right when they committed their felony. If this country would enforce the laws already on the books, we would have a lot less repeat crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    What exactly does that MEAN?

Does it mean that there are more accidental firearm deaths?
    Does it mean that there are more MURDERS with firearms?

Call me eccentric, but I don't think that too many drug dealers or liquor store holdup men get training... even the ones NOT already barred from owning firearms, in states where it's required.

When talking to gun control advocates, you can't take ANYTHING at face value.
    Ask LT. He posted the stats in an effort to show that training doesn't matter. Apparently they were relevant to him.

When talking to any fanatic you can't take anything at face value.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast