Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc... - Page 15
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc...

1. Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    OK, prepare yourself. I agree with you! I have a friend who was a felon. She said that they all considered prison to be "3 hots and a cot". It really wasn't a big deal to a criminal. Hell, they could get ANYTHING they wanted inside...drugs, alcohol, etc. Luckily for her, she has turned her life around (with my help). She is clean and sober, and has become an honest person. She is a good mother to her children and is doing her best to raise them properly. However, she has become very intolerant of any criminal behavior. She agrees with me that the court system is too lenient and that there are too many laws on the books that aren't being enforced properly.

Have any of you ever read "Crime and Punishment in America"? Great book on the subject!
    So, what do you think.... is it the correct thing to do to ban her from firearms possession for life?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

NavyLT, actually I feel that a firearm ban for felons should depend on a couple of factors. For example, hers was a non-violent crime. She should be able to apply for her right to be restored. However, someone convicted of a violent crime (i.e. domestic battery, armed robbery, etc) should not.

I look at someone like G. Gordon Liddy. He's a strong supporter of gun right and 2A. But because of his status as a felon (non-violent) he is forbidden to own a firearm. The several times I met Mr. Liddy, he was a very friendly, polite and intelligent man. I had occasion to meet him several times.

This may seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't see this as an all-or-nothing issue.

Just throwing this out there.

SCOTUS opinion:

Mugler v. Kansas 123 U.S. 623, 659-60.
    "Our system of government, based upon the individuality and intelligence
    of the Citizen, the state does not claim to control him, except as his
    conduct to others, leaving him the sole judge as to all that only affects
    himself."

Responsibilty requires no regulation.

We can't legislate common sense nor safety. Training is a great idea when it comes to firearms. There will be those that recognize that fact and those that don't.

I can see no benefit from forcing a person to take a training class. What could they possibly learn that could guarantee that they would never use a firearm in an unsafe or illegal manner? Those that would benefit from training are those that would seek the training on their own. However, even this is not a guarantee of safety. There is a current thread on here by an instructor who had a student seek additional training yet he ended up confiscating the students firearm for repeated unsafe behavior.

So why say that training should be required. What do you really think will be gained? Do you really believe an 8 hour class is going to teach a person common sense? Will it give them the skills you think they need to always safely handle a firearm?

On the felons and guns issue. This is a tuff one. I tend to feel that if a person is allowed to be in society then they should be allowed to have all their rights restored. Those that will offend again are going to do so regardless of any laws in place that say they can't do this or that. I also believe in serving entire sentences for violent offenders. If you get 20 you serve 20. Non violent offenders should serve at least 3/4 of their sentence before being eligible for parole. To top it off if they offend again it's the death penalty for a violent offense and life in prison for non violent.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    NavyLT, actually I feel that a firearm ban for felons should depend on a couple of factors. For example, hers was a non-violent crime. She should be able to apply for her right to be restored. However, someone convicted of a violent crime (i.e. domestic battery, armed robbery, etc) should not.

I look at someone like G. Gordon Liddy. He's a strong supporter of gun right and 2A. But because of his status as a felon (non-violent) he is forbidden to own a firearm. The several times I met Mr. Liddy, he was a very friendly, polite and intelligent man. I had occasion to meet him several times.

This may seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't see this as an all-or-nothing issue.
    I agree....it isn't all-or-nothing. I've always said that violent felons should have their right to possess a firearm revoked until further notice (And by "violent" I also include those felons who use the threat of violence as well, not just actual acts of violence.). IMO a non-violent criminal has done nothing to have this right revoked.

We don't live in the United States of Iran or the United States of Red China. In spite of what some on these boards say they'd like to see, we're not going to start executing people for assault, domestic violence, robbery, etc. Those people will be walking the streets again someday. Laws restricting gun ownership for released felons are actually quite effective. Next time you're talking to a LEO ask them how often they find a gun (or ammo) on a convicted felon while nabbing them for something totally unrelated to a firearm. I see it all the time when persuing one of my favorite pastimes - looking through the local mugshots online. In Florida that means a minimum 3-yr prison sentence. One less threat to you, me, and everyone else out there.

Speaking of Gordon Liddy, I read an interview with him many years ago. He said that while he isn't allowed to own a firearm, his wife has an extensive collection of guns. I assume he was saying this with a big smile on his face
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by fuhr52 View Post
    I agree cars kill more people every year than guns do and who knows how many cars are used as weapons to murder. But I for one am not comfortable with people carrying guns that don't have a clue of how to use them. I have been on too many scenes where people are careless with guns.
    just a note on how the STATE's encroach upon your rights.

Right to Travel

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    In Florida that means a minimum 3-yr prison sentence. One less threat to you, me, and everyone else out there.
    Now go see how often that charged gets plead away
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    OK, prepare yourself. I agree with you! I have a friend who was a felon. She said that they all considered prison to be "3 hots and a cot". It really wasn't a big deal to a criminal. Hell, they could get ANYTHING they wanted inside...drugs, alcohol, etc. Luckily for her, she has turned her life around (with my help). She is clean and sober, and has become an honest person. She is a good mother to her children and is doing her best to raise them properly. However, she has become very intolerant of any criminal behavior. She agrees with me that the court system is too lenient and that there are too many laws on the books that aren't being enforced properly.

Have any of you ever read "Crime and Punishment in America"? Great book on the subject!
    If you look at the facts prison/jail is the best some of those people have ever had it. They know what time their next meal is coming,warm,cool place to sleep. Draw backs, being gang raped in the shower and or your cell,being stabbed to death.

I would love to find some stats (if they are even out there) of the number of people who re-offended after being release back in 1800-1970's.

When I say work houses and chain gangs, I'm in no way advocating slave labor. Work them 8-10 hours a day with breaks, brown bag lunches and pay. They get paid what 25 cents for making license plates? Pay them 50-75 cents for the hard labor. They want a cell with TV,AC,power,running water and a bed. Charge them rent for that cell each month from their work pay. They don't pay the rent kick them out and put them back in the tents.

Maybe then they would treat their cells with respect and not flood them or throw crap all over the walls.

It makes me sick to think we have hard working people in this country who are going with a meal. Or begging for food to feed their family's, being forced to eat out of the trash. Some scum bag who has done nothing with his/her life gets three hot meals a day.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I agree....it isn't all-or-nothing. I've always said that violent felons should have their right to possess a firearm revoked until further notice (And by "violent" I also include those felons who use the threat of violence as well, not just actual acts of violence.). IMO a non-violent criminal has done nothing to have this right revoked.

We don't live in the United States of Iran or the United States of Red China. In spite of what some on these boards say they'd like to see, we're not going to start executing people for assault, domestic violence, robbery, etc. Those people will be walking the streets again someday. Laws restricting gun ownership for released felons are actually quite effective. Next time you're talking to a LEO ask them how often they find a gun (or ammo) on a convicted felon while nabbing them for something totally unrelated to a firearm. I see it all the time when persuing one of my favorite pastimes - looking through the local mugshots online.
    In Florida that means a minimum 3-yr prison sentence
    . One less threat to you, me, and everyone else out there.

Speaking of Gordon Liddy, I read an interview with him many years ago. He said that while he isn't allowed to own a firearm, his wife has an extensive collection of guns. I assume he was saying this with a big smile on his face
    So what they really serve is 6 months to a year on that charge. Between the plea deal,time served, time off for good behavior etc.. Back on the street with in a year.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    If you look at the facts prison/jail is the best some of those people have ever had it. They know what time their next meal is coming,warm,cool place to sleep. Draw backs, being gang raped in the shower and or your cell,being stabbed to death.

I would love to find some stats (if they are even out there) of the number of people who re-offended after being release back in 1800-1970's.

When I say work houses and chain gangs, I'm in no way advocating slave labor. Work them 8-10 hours a day with breaks, brown bag lunches and pay. They get paid what 25 cents for making license plates? Pay them 50-75 cents for the hard labor. They want a cell with TV,AC,power,running water and a bed. Charge them rent for that cell each month from their work pay. They don't pay the rent kick them out and put them back in the tents.

Maybe then they would treat their cells with respect and not flood them or throw crap all over the walls.

It makes me sick to think we hard working people in this country who are going with a meal. Or begging for food to feed their family's, being forced to eat out of the trash. Some scum bag who has done nothing with his/her life gets three hot meals a day.
    Off topic I know but there was recently a case here in Colorado where a surg tech was busted switching out used syringes filled w/ saline for the PT's pain meds.

Long story short she also infected several PTs w/ HepA. She was recently senteced to 30 years in prison, where she will recieve (at Taxpayer expense) "free" medical care for her hepatitus. Meanwhile , her victims are SOL because the practices she worked for are not responsible for her illegal actions.

She is currently appealing her sentence on the ground that it is "excessive"
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast