Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc... - Page 16
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 163

Thread: Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc...

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Now go see how often that charged gets plead away
    I doubt if it's many. Florida is pretty serious about gun related crime. If you have info that shows otherwise then I'd be interested in seeing it. According to the Florida Dept. of Corrections, the 3-yr sentence must be served in addition to any other time and may not be served concurrently. Gun related crime has dropped 30% in Fla since the implementation this this and several other gun-crime laws in 1998.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  2.   
  3. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I can see no benefit from forcing a person to take a training class. What could they possibly learn that could guarantee that they would never use a firearm in an unsafe or illegal manner?
    I'm not saying that training will give you any guarantees. In my experience, there are NO guarantees in life. Those who expect them are going to be very disappointed. But what I AM saying is that training is never wasted, and the trainee will at the very least have the benefit of having been taught basic gun safety. Whether or not they learn it completely is dependent on the trainee, the trainer, and the quality of the instruction.

    Mention was made of another thread where the person had to be removed from the NRA class. That person obviously is unfit to own or carry a firearm IMHO. I would not be surprised to see a news report someday about that person blowing his or someone else's head off "accidently".

    I would ask the folks here who conduct training classes for the NRA or any other entity to tell us just how many times this sort of thing happens. How many people simply don't get it? 10%? 20%? I'd be willing to bet that the percentage is considerably smaller. So just because a small percentage of people DON'T benefit from the training, nobody needs it? I disagree with that.

  4. #153
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eastern Colorado
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    . So just because a small percentage of people DON'T benefit from the training, nobody needs it? I disagree with that.
    Your missing the point. I am not arguing that nobody needs training. Everyone should seek some type of training. I'm arguing that no one should be forced to take training. Not even if the training was paid for by the states permitting system would it be okay to force a person to take a class and pass some arbitrary test in order to exercise a right.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

  5. #154
    I can understand your position. However, with the stakes being so high, I think that training should be a requirement. We are literally carrying the power to kill in our hands. That is a huge responsibility to entrust to someone with no regard for their level of training or common sense.

  6. #155
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    If a business owner does not want me on his property armed then he is either warranting my complete safety while on his property or wishing me not to do business with his firm.

  7. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    I can understand your position. However, with the stakes being so high, I think that training should be a requirement. We are literally carrying the power to kill in our hands. That is a huge responsibility to entrust to someone with no regard for their level of training or common sense.
    Above the age of 18 and no training is required to get your DL. Far more people are killed in a MVA then with firearms each year. Even the kids that are forced to take driver training don't follow any of it once the license is in their hands. Texting, applying makeup, changing, eating etc... So again how is forcing anyone to take training, that they won't follow after class really going to do anything? Even if you force them to take the class you cant force them to follow any of it.

    You could say "pull their permit" if they are found to be unsafe with the firearm. But again that would do nothing because they could just OC the said firearm.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  8. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Above the age of 18 and no training is required to get your DL. Far more people are killed in a MVA then with firearms each year. Even the kids that are forced to take driver training don't follow any of it once the license is in their hands. Texting, applying makeup, changing, eating etc... So again how is forcing anyone to take training, that they won't follow after class really going to do anything? Even if you force them to take the class you cant force them to follow any of it.

    You could say "pull their permit" if they are found to be unsafe with the firearm. But again that would do nothing because they could just OC the said firearm.
    So, if I read this correctly, your position is that since some young people won't follow the training, training is not needed? So by that same logic, I shouldn't need to be trained to perform surgery because some doctors don't do it properly.

    And in Florida, where I live, they can't just OC. Its illegal to OC here, and the current bill to change that would require that an OC'er have a CC license.

  9. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    So, if I read this correctly, your position is that since some young people won't follow the training, training is not needed? So by that same logic, I shouldn't need to be trained to perform surgery because some doctors don't do it properly.

    And in Florida, where I live, they can't just OC. Its illegal to OC here, and the current bill to change that would require that an OC'er have a CC license.
    Really did I say that? I asked how your wish to Impose training on everyone would WORK? Sounds great on paper, but how would it be enforced? Answer is IT CANT. Sure you could make them take the training but again HOW WOULD you force them to use/follow what they learned? You cant! So again I ask what would be the point?

    Even if you passed such a commie law in your state. Again there would be no way to impose it on people with CCW's from other states who visit FL.

    All the PD in FL could do would be call their home states to inforum the issuing authority of their concerns. It would still be up to that state/police department/town mayor do pull the permit. FL honors NH resident permits and NH has no training requirement. Same with many other states that FL honors. So again if and that's a huge IF it got passed it would only affect your state.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  10. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Really did I say that?
    Yes, in essence, you did.

    I asked how your wish to Impose training on everyone would WORK? Sounds great on paper, but how would it be enforced? Answer is IT CANT. Sure you could make them take the training but again HOW WOULD you force them to use/follow what they learned? You cant! So again I ask what would be the point?
    Requiring basic gun safety training is just smart. No, you won't get ALL of them to follow it. However, just because SOME won't doesn't mean that training isn't worthwhile.

    Even if you passed such a commie law in your state. Again there would be no way to impose it on people with CCW's from other states who visit FL.
    Requiring training before allowing someone to purchase and/or carry a firearm is communist? You're an idiot if you really think that. Do you have any real idea what communism is really about? It has nothing to do with safety for the citizenry, but everything to do with enriching the state.

    All the PD in FL could do would be call their home states to inforum the issuing authority of their concerns. It would still be up to that state/police department/town mayor do pull the permit. FL honors NH resident permits and NH has no training requirement. Same with many other states that FL honors. So again if and that's a huge IF it got passed it would only affect your state.
    Florida could easily require that any state wanting reciprocity with FL also have a training requirement.

    It boggles my mind how someone can be so against something as sensible as training.

    I'm tired of dealing with closed minded people. I'm done with this discussion.

  11. #160
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eastern Colorado
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    I can understand your position. However, with the stakes being so high, I think that training should be a requirement. We are literally carrying the power to kill in our hands. That is a huge responsibility to entrust to someone with no regard for their level of training or common sense.
    What stakes are you referring to? I suggest that it is not the carrying of a firearm that is dangerous. It is what happens when the firearm is out of the holster that is dangerous. Again, no training class is going to teach common sense. People will occasionally do really stupid things.

    You want training. Have the guy that hands out the permit also hand out a paper listing the four basic rules of firearm safety along with the advice to memorize said rules.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast