Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc... - Page 5
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Sense, reasonable regulation, etc...

Thumbs down CCW Badges

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    If the government ever does come knocking on your door to confiscate your guns, are you just going to hand them over to the nice government official and say, "Well, dang, I sure wish I had the right to keep this...?"
    And they probably won't let you keep your CCW Badge either.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    The SCOTUS is the final arbiter of the meaning of the Constitution. As of today, the SCOTUS has held that the 2nd amendment protects the rights of individuals to own firearms of common usage for home self-defense. Nothing more.

Your wish that it was more doesn't change what it is.

So when we discuss whether training requirements or any other limitations on firearm ownership is appropriate, we must do so in the context of what is rather than what we might wishy things to be.

Right now, ownership of a firearm beyond that specified for by the SCOTUS is a privilege whether you like it or not. Should that privilege be restricted by required training of some sort is not a question that can be answered by claiming the privilege can't be restricted because it is a secured individual right. It presently isn't.
    It's no use, nogods. They'll never be able to see the forest because of all the trees that are in the way. This "Any Weapon, Anytime, Anywhere" crew just doesn't get it. They don't understand that they're part of the lunatic fringe and not part of American society as a whole. In their zeal to defend their views on 2A, they're willing (if not eager) to trample the rest of the Constitution and the rights and wishes of the citizens of this country. Maybe one day they'll finally understand that ultimately it's the people of this country that dictate the laws through the election of officials that have like-minded views. I don't like the gun laws in Illinois, Hawaii, NYC, etc. but apparently the majority of the people that live there do like them otherwise they'd have elected pro-gun officials.

Like my signature line says, I support the entire Constitution.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

4. Here's another group of lunatics:

Common Sense Gun Control? - THR

OMG! They are everywhere.... the lunatics are running the asylum... run for your lives, they are going to shoot you with their grenade launchers, run over you with their tanks, burn your bodies with their flamethrowers and then turn your ashes into glass with their nukes! <--- and that's just the grade schoolers!

Somebody really should pass a law, quick!

You know, maybe some of the "pro-Constitution" folks here should move to Mexico. Seems like Mexican gun laws are just what the doctor ordered for them. Mexico must be a much safer place than the US, where the lunatics are allowed in most states to run amuck, endangering the lives of those around them... right?

http://www.davekopel.com/espanol/Mexican-Gun-Laws.htm
    Today, notwithstanding the constitutional right, arms possession in Mexico is severely restricted by a wide network of laws. Article 160 of the Federal Penal Code authorizes government employees to carry guns. Article 161 requires a license to carry or sell handguns. Article 162 provides penalties for violations, and also bans the stockpiling of arms without permission. Article 163 states that handguns may only be sold by mercantile establishments, not by individuals. Further, handgun carry permit applicants must post a bond, must prove their need, and must supply five character references.

Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Hey NavyLT don't forget about Kenya, where the minister of justice wanted illegal posession of a rifle to be made into a hanging offence.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

7. In my state, it is LAW that carry permit holders cannot carry past signs. "Common sense," right? Respecting property owners, right? They might as well hang this sign up:

You think a law is going to stop criminals? Seriously?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    "If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”—Samuel Adams
    Spoken like a true lunatic!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    In my state, it is LAW that carry permit holders cannot carry past signs. "Common sense," right? Respecting property owners, right? They might as well hang this sign up:

You think a law is going to stop criminals? Seriously?
    In my state, private property owners take steps to protect their premises from crime. We don't depend on the general public to arm themselves while on our business premises so they can play ad hoc security guards while on our premises.

That fact that a private citizen may be armed on our premises has never been shown to dissuade a crackhead from attempting a holdup.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    And that's where you and I disagree. You seem to think that rights only exist if some government authority says they exist or if the government honors those rights. I am glad the founding fathers didn't feel the same way as you, otherwise we would still be under British rule. The founding fathers recognized that certain rights exist whether or not the government recognizes those rights or honors those rights.

If the government ever does come knocking on your door to confiscate your guns, are you just going to hand them over to the nice government official and say, "Well, dang, I sure wish I had the right to keep this...?"
    So lets test this theory of yours.

Take you gun to a place where the law presently prohibits possession of a firearm and lets see how well that works out for you.

I'm guessing you'll hand over you weapons and suddenly become a believer in the system. You'll probably hire a lawyer and work through the system to get your guns back.

Or will you instead start a shootout while yelling "don't tread on me!!"

11. Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    So lets test this theory of yours.

Take you gun to a place where the law presently prohibits possession of a firearm and lets see how well that works out for you.

I'm guessing you'll hand over you weapons and suddenly become a believer in the system. You'll probably hire a lawyer and work through the system to get your guns back.

Or will you instead start a shootout while yelling "don't tread on me!!"
    How well did things work out for Heller and McDonald, hmmmm? You do recognize those two names? Heller and McDonald recognized that they had rights protected under the Constitution that their governments were not recognizing and took their cases to the Supreme Court and won big landmark decisions in all of our favors. Now, if Heller and McDonald, and indeed the Founding Fathers had the same mindset as you and B2Tall, none of us would have handguns because we would still be under the British handgun ban! If Heller and McDonald were of the same mindset as you, there would still be a handgun ban in place in Washington D.C. and any city or state could ban any firearm they wanted, wherever they wanted to.

I am glad that the majority of Americans are not of your mindset... that the government is simply free to do whatever it wants to, under the false banner of "the majority wants it." Again, I point to Obama health care as a prime example of the government doing whatever the hell it wants to, claiming "the majority wants it".

Quote Originally Posted by nogods
    In my state, private property owners take steps to protect their premises from crime.
    Yeah, right. 1. What state? 2. What steps?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast