Flip 'Em The Bird And Die Like A Viking - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: Flip 'Em The Bird And Die Like A Viking

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Nope just yell "Stop! I'm armed" then skin that smoke wagon and get to work
    I stand corrected.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    No, this is the point where I tell you I'm going to fight period . I've been shot, I know what it feels like, it's not some big mystery. I'm not going to trust the good intentions of a bad guy w/ a gun I'm going to fight
    You're going to fight.....and probably die. If that's what you want then go right ahead. I respect your right to do so. It's also your right to assume that the BGs always shoot the people they're robbing, but that's like thinking that because one person dies in a car accident that all car accidents are 100% fatal to those involved.

    If a BG wants you dead it's highly unlikely that he's going to bother asking you for your wallet or cash. He's just going to shoot you outright and take what he wants. The "No-Win" scenario that was presented was the exception and not like the vast majority of the armed robberies that occur. 400,000 robberies minus 2000 deaths = 398,000 robberies where nobody was killed. I like those odds and would only pull my pistol if I thought I had a distinct advantage.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  4. It's reading threads like this that make me want to dust off my Level II underwear, insert the trauma plate, and start wearing it daily.

    There is the concept of "social duty" to resist crime for the benefit of one's society (for the young among us, the Guru was named John Dean (Jeff) Cooper, and he believed in Duty to Society).

    There's also the truth: You will be playing it by ear, using your street sense, reading body language, watching for signs. And you'll use any distraction you can, feigned compliance, tossing a watch and/or wallet, making your move when you feel you have that half second of inattention working for you. Much will depend on how many lives besides your own are threatened. If you know your wife/child is on the line if you don't stop the goblins, you know you have no choice but to stop them before you die.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arapahoe County CO
    Posts
    152
    I'm with Treo.

    Someone threatening me with a weapon could result in an infinite number of possible results, some of which are:
    (a) he chuckles and says he's only kidding,
    (b) he takes your wallet, keys, wife, whatever, and leaves you alive as promised,
    (c) he kills you.

    If you want to bet your life on options other than c, feel free to do so; maybe the robber is not such a bad fellow, just misunderstood.

    I hope for the best and plan for the worst, so I will assume someone threatening lethal violence is going to execute same, and react appropriately. I won't be listening to whatever his demands are, because they are irrelevant. I wouldn't bother being armed if my plan were to comply with threats. Like they say in New Hampshire...

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    I'm definitely with Treo and Anubis!

    I've been there and done that has well. I act on the assumption that the BG is there to do me harm; and I'll act accordingly.

    I damn sure NOT going sit there like some yellow belly coward and just let the BG stand there and threaten me or my loved ones.

    I hope if I ever find myself in a L&D situation again where the people around me will cower in fright and wet themselves. (If I'm lucky there will be people like Treo and Anubis around around to have my back.)

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post

    There's also the truth: You will be playing it by ear, using your street sense, reading body language, watching for signs. And you'll use any distraction you can, feigned compliance, tossing a watch and/or wallet, making your move when you feel you have that half second of inattention working for you.



    Exactly
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    Interesting reading but the excercise has one massive flaw - it assumes that armed robbers always shoot their victims. This is about as far from the truth as it gets.
    I assume that somebody who puts me in reasonable, immediate fear of life and limb means it. My solution is to shoot them.

    If you don't want to get shot, you shouldn't do that.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I assume that somebody who puts me in reasonable, immediate fear of life and limb means it. My solution is to shoot them.

    If you don't want to get shot, you shouldn't do that.
    My sentiments exactly!

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    It's so hard to take you seriously when you post clips of a scripted TV show as some sort of proof to bolster your point of view. Are you aware that these people were actors who were following a script?? I mean really....why don't you just tell us all to watch the movie "Commando" so we can se how it's done.

    Like I said before, ask any real combat vet and they'll tell you that more often than not it's the tough-talking Rambo wannabes that usually end up soiling their pants and crying for mommy once the stuff hits the fan. Oh, and before any of you keyboard badasses out there start to tell the rest of us how many firefights you've been in and how many times you've been wounded and how many BGs you've mowed down......don't. This is the internet and I'm not going to believe a word of your entirely predictable, self-serving, macho-man drivel. Take that crap somewhere it might be believed - like a teen chat room on AOL.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I assume that somebody who puts me in reasonable, immediate fear of life and limb means it. My solution is to shoot them.
    Feel free to assume whatever you want. I'm going to assume that if they wanted to shoot me, they'd just do it outright and not bother with the demands. According to the FBI stats I'd be correct about 99%+ of the time and I'd be on my way home.....a little light in the wallet maybe, but in one peice.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast