Next state to allow campus carry.

Thread: Next state to allow campus carry.

1. Next state to allow campus carry.

It is my understanding that UT already spesific allows campus carry.

Any intel or opinions on what state that is next?

Does UT specifically "allow" it?.....or do they just not prohibit it?

It's not specifically prohibited in PA making it legal by default.

Law is up for vote in the Texas House. Should pass and move on to the Texas Senate. If and when it passes, Rick Perry will definitely sign off on it. All signs point to TX being the next state to allow campus carry.

Campus carry in Texas would be a big win, IMHO.

The problem is that unless the law states that a university is prohibited from banning firearms, things are likely not to change much. Sure, it will give the college a choice to allow firearms or not, but how many colleges are actually going to allow firearms simply because state law now gives them that choice?

Granted, doing away with the prohibition on carrying on a college campus in state law is still a good thing... because then it becomes a private property and trespassing issue, rather than an actual firearms related criminal violation.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Does UT specifically "allow" it?.....or do they just not prohibit it?

It's not specifically prohibited in PA making it legal by default.
    Perhaps a Utah resident will chime in, but I believe the Utah law specifically precludes the named state universities from implementing any CC prohibitions.

On a similar note, here in SD the laws do not put higher ed facilities on the no carry zones. While the Board of Regents have policies of no guns on campuses, I recently found there's a state law that says no state agency can adopt rules barring CC by a permit holder. Hmm, that sounds similar to the UT situation.

In CO, the universities rules denying students' right to carry were challenged and the plaintiffs prevailed in the CO Court of Appeals. So, at present, students who have a permit can carry. I do not know whether or not that decision has been or is going to be appealed. The last thing I read on the subject is that the university was not happy with the decision and wanted to appeal it but had not yet done so.
    Last edited by kudzu; 03-19-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: typo
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    In CO, the universities rules denying students' right to carry were challenged and the plaintiffs prevailed in the CO Court of Appeals. So, at present, students who have a permit can carry. I do not know whether or not that decision has being or is going to be appealed. The last thing I read on the subject is that the university was not happy with the decision and wanted to appeal it but had not yet done so.
    Nothing like the university spending students' tuition money to try and deny students their rights, eh?

GaryC

The Idaho House has just passed a bill to allow concealed carry on campus. It moves to the Senate next.