1911 question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 question

1911 question

I am new to this forum. I looked at the carry gun survey as I am curious as to which gun's people prefer to to carry, can't say it was suprising but I have to ask what people think about 1911's in general, what are the pro's and con's? Being from wisconsin I am still waiting to carry! It is a volitile question so please dont get to wild! thanks!

Seems to me like the 1911 is just another gun. The only reason I don't own one or carry one is because I can't afford one. I don't really see anything special about a 1911 either for or against it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

1911 is a great design, easy to clean, easy to shoot, and parts are abundant.

over the past few years I have had in order, a springfield 1911a1, GLOCK 21, kimber basic 1911, Glock 36, Taurus 1911, Barretta px4, and now a Para 14-45gr.

I love the 1911 design, and i like the Tupperware guns large capacity. until I found the Para, its the best of both worlds.

however, carrying a full size gun is heavy and harder to conceal.

why do most competition shooters use a 1911?

Yep, the customization options available are a big pro that I didn't think of.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

must be a pretty good pistol for the reasons stated here PLUS Utah has declared it to be the State Gun!

Seems Mr. Browning had some ties to Utah.
    Last edited by walt629; 03-19-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Seems to me like the 1911 is just another gun. The only reason I don't own one or carry one is because I can't afford one. I don't really see anything special about a 1911 either for or against it.
    The M1911 is the semi-auto equivalent of a S&W M&P/Model 10 revolver.

It's simply a good basic semi-auto which does everything it needs to well.

• It holds enough rounds to be an effective self-defense tool without having a grip like the fat end of a baseball bat.
    • It comes in a variety of useful calibers.
    • A properly executed example of the design is both reliable and accurate.
    • The design lends itself both to mass production and idiosyncratic customization.
    • There are LOTS of people who know how to both fix and customize it.
    • There are abundant spare and upgrade parts available.
    • There are abundant holsters of every conceivable design available.
    • There are price points from easily affordable to ridiculous.

There are different semi-autos.
    There are semi-autos which do some things better.

There are no BETTER semi-autos.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Yep, the customization options available are a big pro that I didn't think of.
    And if someything does go wrong with it, most shops have the parts/know how to fix it. They also come in just about any caliber from .22 up to .50 so you can find one to suit the recoil you feel like handling. Lasers, grips, scopes and just about anything can be hung on one it setup right. But they work great with just plain Jane features also.

And with your promotion, you should be able to get one now.

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II with CT Laser Grips that I love. If I had it all to do over again I would get the Pro model instead.

I carry this anytime because it is easy to carry in the summer (less clothing to conceal a gun).

However, I don't limit myself to just one gun for concealed carry, I have three that can be carried depending on my needs and planned wardrobe for that day.

I have a Glock 30SF (.45 cal) that I can carry, I usually save this one for the cooler months (9 months out of the year) as it is a bit big. It is the biggest pistol I own.

Then, when nothing else will fit my wardrobe, I have a Stainless Interarms Walther PPK in .380.

While that caliber may leave a bit to be desired in power, I haven't really pissed off anyone enough to make them want to kill me so I figure my attacker would give continuing the attack a second thought when shot with a gun of any caliber.

My second shot would definitely stop the attack completely if it came to that.

If you do get a 1911, I would suggest something with a 4 inch or longer barrel.
    Glock 23 Gen 4 / Glock 30SF Gen3 .45 ACP / Glock 33 Gen3 .356 Sig / Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP / Interarms Stainless Steel PPK .380

1911's...

Quote Originally Posted by PJD View Post
    I am new to this forum. I looked at the carry gun survey as I am curious as to which gun's people prefer to to carry, can't say it was suprising but I have to ask what people think about 1911's in general, what are the pro's and con's? Being from wisconsin I am still waiting to carry! It is a volitile question so please dont get to wild! thanks!
    I do not have one (but I want one).

I like the aesthetics (the looks) of the 1911. They are beautiful, and they are also THIN. They also seem to come in various calibers, with .45 ACP appearing to be the most common.

For me, the Nighthawk Ladyhawk NH-LH1 - Lady Hawk - Custom Guns - - Detail (the THINNESS works for men too, and the "Ladyhawk" on the slide is only applied IF the customer requests it) would be awesome to acquire but I need to do a lot of negotiating with my spouse in order to get the OK to spend $3000 on a handgun. It is a tough sell when I can get an excellent handgun for around 20% of that price....

Also on the "dream list" is the Springfield Armory EMP http://www.springfield-armory.com/as...y_PI9240LP.pdf. Very nice, and with a shorter barrel than the Ladyhawk it should be great for CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    I do not have one (but I want one).

I like the aesthetics (the looks) of the 1911. They are beautiful, and they are also THIN. They also seem to come in various calibers, with .45 ACP appearing to be the most common.

For me, the Nighthawk Ladyhawk NH-LH1 - Lady Hawk - Custom Guns - - Detail (the THINNESS works for men too, and the "Ladyhawk" on the slide is only applied IF the customer requests it) would be awesome to acquire but I need to do a lot of negotiating with my spouse in order to get the OK to spend $3000 on a handgun. It is a tough sell when I can get an excellent handgun for around 20% of that price....

Also on the "dream list" is the Springfield Armory EMP http://www.springfield-armory.com/as...y_PI9240LP.pdf. Very nice, and with a shorter barrel than the Ladyhawk it should be great for CCW.

If he won't buy you the Ladyhawk just tell him you'll do it like Johnny Cash's Cadillac. One piece at a time. Start with a $400 gun and add parts to get what you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast