New compact ccw advice needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New compact ccw advice needed

Ruger SR9c- It has a great trigger and conceals well. Either standard 10 rd mag or 17 rd mag. $398 at Bud's.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    Well I guess I will have to be the Glock fanboy then.

I carry the Glock 27, it is chambered for .40 SW. I am not an expert this is my first handgun, but I shoot it well. I really like the trigger on it. I have shot other guns that weren't as crisp. I also like the grip but I have enormous hands and I know that some people with smaller hands don't like the way the Glocks fit.

With regards to the two finger grip, I really prefer it now. I have gone between my buddy's Glock 23, and a Sig .45 and I really do shoot the two finger better. Here is why. When I shoot the Glock 27 and my pinky isn't on the grip, the recoil doesn't carry my hand with the gun as easily. The gun will buck but I can recover quicker than with the other pistols.

Apparent recoil is higher on other guns for me.

I know Glock's reputation is for fool proof reliability and the only malfunction I have had so far was from a faulty primer on some Blazer Brass FMJ. The reliability is what sold me on the gun. I also prefer to not have the manual safeties of some other guns.

I hope the helped but as I said I'm not an expert, not a life long shooter, these are my opinions and impressions.
    The only reason I did not mention Glock was that they typically sell a bit more in the 600 than 500$ range. They do have an excellent rep and there's a reason half the cops in the US carry them. I just think value for money the Springfield is at least as good if not better. It does have an additional 1911 palm grip safety which isn't a bad thing either.

The ones that I posted in sell as a kit but the website will mention the specifics in more detail.

The XDM sells quite a bit higher but I am not sure you need a match grade barrel and the other features in a first handgun.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Springfield XD9801HCSP06 9MM 3IN BLK PKG $465.00 SHIPS FREE

This is the one that I am actually carrying. Have about 1.5K rounds thru it with no malfunctions period. Marvelously easy to strip down and clean, too. Plus it comes with 2 different mags that allow you to get the full grip size with the longer one (and it holds extra rounds, too). Recoil is snappy with the short barrel but no worse than on any other short and light weight gun. You could skip the kit that comes with it but then again it does not sell for much less without it and it does get you started. After a Galco Matrix holster I have just switched to a Blackhawk Serpa Concealment Holster (it's the one with the paddle release) that I like best so far. That one also fits any other XD model which is another plus.

For example this one which I just got
    Springfield 45ACP 4" COMPACT Black $508.00 SHIPS FREE

This is correctly called a COMPACT as opposed to a SUB COMPACT. The grip is just a wee bit longer and the barrel has an additional inch but it's still doable as CCW if you dress for it. And having 10 45 ACP in the short mag and 13 in the long one isn't bad at all. Just ran 200 rounds thru it out of the box and there were no problems at all. Recoil is absolutely manageable for a 45.

On both models the short grip works reasonable well unless you have really big paws and with the extended mag it has to fit just about anybody.
    Going with the XD sub-3IN

Can get it locally for $450

Quote Originally Posted by cougaram View Post
    After a decade of carrying a Browning Hi-Power or Beretta 9FS in various shoulder rigs or inside the belt configurations I've finally decided that a more comfortable and concealable weapon is in order. Do any of you fine folks have any recommendations (considering the fact that I'm about to relegate my beloved Browning and Beretta solely for home defense and range duty) for a pistol that I would probably be happy with? I'm hoping for something under $500, good accuracy, decent trigger, decent sights (out of the box) or possibility of laser mounting. I'm also open minded to any caliber. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. They will be appreciated!
    If youre not ruling out revolvers the Ruger SP101 is pretty concealable and the 357 packs plenty of punch.
    Down side being the obvious of only having 5 shots.
    You can sometimes find it for around $500, maybe a little under.

6. Actually, I am not really fond at all for revolvers except for occasional target shooting and even then it's cock and shoot 'one at a time' to avoid that long trigger pull. I'm a darned good shot when shooting a single action or double/single action but I'm a lousy marksman when confronted with a long trigger pull. Heck, I even pull back the hammer on my Beretta before the first shot. I suppose a good bit of practice and following better technique could do a lot for me but as it stands, it's kinda hard to teach an old dog (like me) new tricks.

Actually, I am not really fond at all for revolvers except for occasional target shooting and even then it's cock and shoot 'one at a time' to avoid that long trigger pull. I'm a darned good shot when shooting a single action or double/single action but I'm a lousy marksman when confronted with a long trigger pull. Heck, I even pull back the hammer on my Beretta before the first shot. I suppose a good bit of practice and following better technique could do a lot for me but as it stands, it's kinda hard to teach an old dog (like me) new tricks.
    Yeah, revolvers are definitely a different kind of animal.
    My Ruger has a really stiff trigger. I like them that way, but I can see why someone wouldnt, especially if theyre used to a semi auto.

:)

8. Well, I will admit to owning a Python and it is indeed fun to shoot. However, it was love at first shot with the big Beretta and Browning HP. It was also extremely satisfying to suddenly becoming one of the best marksmen in my group of buddies instead of the one who was usually the butt of the jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    Going with the XD sub-3IN

Can get it locally for $450
    That's a very nice price for a local store! Enjoy!

10. After a lot of thought (and after trying one yesterday) I have decided on a CZ Rami .40 S&W. I loved it!

After a decade of carrying a Browning Hi-Power or Beretta 9FS in various shoulder rigs or inside the belt configurations I've finally decided that a more comfortable and concealable weapon is in order. Do any of you fine folks have any recommendations (considering the fact that I'm about to relegate my beloved Browning and Beretta solely for home defense and range duty) for a pistol that I would probably be happy with? I'm hoping for something under $500, good accuracy, decent trigger, decent sights (out of the box) or possibility of laser mounting. I'm also open minded to any caliber. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. They will be appreciated!
    Berretta PX4 Storm Sub-comact
    Glock G26 (9 mm) or G27 (.40 cal)

I like the G26 with a CT Lasergrip
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast