New compact ccw advice needed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New compact ccw advice needed

1. New compact ccw advice needed

After a decade of carrying a Browning Hi-Power or Beretta 9FS in various shoulder rigs or inside the belt configurations I've finally decided that a more comfortable and concealable weapon is in order. Do any of you fine folks have any recommendations (considering the fact that I'm about to relegate my beloved Browning and Beretta solely for home defense and range duty) for a pistol that I would probably be happy with? I'm hoping for something under $500, good accuracy, decent trigger, decent sights (out of the box) or possibility of laser mounting. I'm also open minded to any caliber. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. They will be appreciated!

For that price I would steer you towards the Ruger SR9. 4 inch barrel, super slim, 17 rnd cap. I have shot it and it was smooth. There negetive reports when they first came out but from what I understand Ruger has worked out the kinks. The guys that I know who own them are range junkies and they swear by them. Also if you're looking for something with a bit more kick they just came out with the SR40. Supposedly its near identical in dimensions. Personally I like my HK comp 40. Good luck with your search.

4. I carried a Detonics in .45APC for a billion years but decided to switch for different reasons than you. I got annoyed with Rotating Magazines and worrying about Springs in a Pistol that was almost 20 years old.

I'm a big boy so Concealability was never a concern.

Anyway:

I switched to a Ported medium frame Taurus Revolver in .45 Colt. I find Revolvers are more comfortable to carry because of the weight distribution. Autoloaders have too much weight in the handle.

This is fine in your hand but in the holster it feels top heavy. It never fell out of the holster but it often felt like it might with some holster carry combinations.

With a Revolver I get more comfortable carry without switching to a smaller cartridge.

With the big Hammers on Revolvers a lot of people are concerned about the Hammer snagging on your clothing during the draw.

If you put your thumb on the hammer as you draw the pistol this can't happen.

A lot of people also worry about reloading a revolver. I think they watch too much TV. Keep in mind that the TV characters are cops out looking for trouble and it lacks drama if they don't spray the countryside with lead.

I don't know if this is helpful or not but it's something to consider.

JUMP JUMP, we get to do some shopping

These days there are a legion of very nice choices, my personal favorites would be a Springfield XD9 sub compact (about 500$) or a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact (about 350$). The XD I can personally attest to being an excellent gun.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    JUMP JUMP, we get to do some shopping

These days there are a legion of very nice choices, my personal favorites would be a Springfield XD9 sub compact (about 500$) or a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact (about 350$). The XD I can personally attest to being an excellent gun.
    What about the new XDM Compact? Can't seem to find a price on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    What about the new XDM Compact? Can't seem to find a price on that one.
    No problem:
    Springfield 9mm 3.8 CMPT Black $574.00 SHIPS FREE

But I don't think you really need to spend the extra money on the M model, the regular XD is already a fine fine gun.

Question

Thanks for the info. What about the XD sub-compact 3"? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by vettehigh View Post
    Thanks for the info. What about the XD sub-compact 3"? Thanks again.
    Springfield XD9801HCSP06 9MM 3IN BLK PKG $465.00 SHIPS FREE

This is the one that I am actually carrying. Have about 1.5K rounds thru it with no malfunctions period. Marvelously easy to strip down and clean, too. Plus it comes with 2 different mags that allow you to get the full grip size with the longer one (and it holds extra rounds, too). Recoil is snappy with the short barrel but no worse than on any other short and light weight gun. You could skip the kit that comes with it but then again it does not sell for much less without it and it does get you started. After a Galco Matrix holster I have just switched to a Blackhawk Serpa Concealment Holster (it's the one with the paddle release) that I like best so far. That one also fits any other XD model which is another plus.

For example this one which I just got
    Springfield 45ACP 4" COMPACT Black $508.00 SHIPS FREE

This is correctly called a COMPACT as opposed to a SUB COMPACT. The grip is just a wee bit longer and the barrel has an additional inch but it's still doable as CCW if you dress for it. And having 10 45 ACP in the short mag and 13 in the long one isn't bad at all. Just ran 200 rounds thru it out of the box and there were no problems at all. Recoil is absolutely manageable for a 45.

On both models the short grip works reasonable well unless you have really big paws and with the extended mag it has to fit just about anybody.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Springfield XD9801HCSP06 9MM 3IN BLK PKG $465.00 SHIPS FREE

This is the one that I am actually carrying. Have about 1.5K rounds thru it with no malfunctions period. Marvelously easy to strip down and clean, too. Plus it comes with 2 different mags that allow you to get the full grip size with the longer one (and it holds extra rounds, too). Recoil is snappy with the short barrel but no worse than on any other short and light weight gun. You could skip the kit that comes with it but then again it does not sell for much less without it and it does get you started. After a Galco Matrix holster I have just switched to a Blackhawk Serpa Concealment Holster (it's the one with the paddle release) that I like best so far. That one also fits any other XD model which is another plus.

For example this one which I just got
    Springfield 45ACP 4" COMPACT Black $508.00 SHIPS FREE

This is correctly called a COMPACT as opposed to a SUB COMPACT. The grip is just a wee bit longer and the barrel has an additional inch but it's still doable as CCW if you dress for it. And having 10 45 ACP in the short mag and 13 in the long one isn't bad at all. Just ran 200 rounds thru it out of the box and there were no problems at all. Recoil is absolutely manageable for a 45.

On both models the short grip works reasonable well unless you have really big paws and with the extended mag it has to fit just about anybody.
    Thanks my man for all your help. I'm going with one of the above for sure. I love the fact it comes with the case and more. I'm correct on that right? Thanks again

Well I guess I will have to be the Glock fanboy then.

I carry the Glock 27, it is chambered for .40 SW. I am not an expert this is my first handgun, but I shoot it well. I really like the trigger on it. I have shot other guns that weren't as crisp. I also like the grip but I have enormous hands and I know that some people with smaller hands don't like the way the Glocks fit.

With regards to the two finger grip, I really prefer it now. I have gone between my buddy's Glock 23, and a Sig .45 and I really do shoot the two finger better. Here is why. When I shoot the Glock 27 and my pinky isn't on the grip, the recoil doesn't carry my hand with the gun as easily. The gun will buck but I can recover quicker than with the other pistols.

Apparent recoil is higher on other guns for me.

I know Glock's reputation is for fool proof reliability and the only malfunction I have had so far was from a faulty primer on some Blazer Brass FMJ. The reliability is what sold me on the gun. I also prefer to not have the manual safeties of some other guns.

I hope the helped but as I said I'm not an expert, not a life long shooter, these are my opinions and impressions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast