Be serious if you carry
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be serious if you carry

1. Be serious if you carry

Twice now in the last 3 weeks Iíve heard someone say, ďThey want to carry a gun, but only to scare away a bad guy, or to just shoot them a little bit.Ē

Really, shoot them a little bit? I train a lot and practice with that situation in mind but I never practice to shoot them just a little bit.

If you are going to carry a gun for self defense, you must be totally and unequivocally committed to shoot someone center mass until the threat is eliminated. If you are not, please, donít carry a gun. You are going to be a shooting victim and itís embarrassing when itĎs your own gun.

Carrying a gun is a terrific responsibility and you need to think it through, including the possible consequences of being involved in a fatal shooting.

The other commitment you need to make is to practice with your gun. Practice different situations, not just standing in one spot shooting at paper targets. Can you draw and shoot? Ladies, have you ever practiced getting that gun out of your purse? If you havenít, youíre going to be in real trouble when you start fumbling around. Itís not easy, donít take it for granted.
    If you are going to carry, give it serious thought, and make the commitment to practice. Be smart. Be safe.

I am willing to go all in, but be safe by minding your surroundings and being aware, avoid dangerous situations if possible if it comes down to it, I am going home.

Absolutely agree.

One of the things I like to practice at home is drawing and dry firing. The next time I am at the range I will take the next step and load the pistol.

One of the first things I practiced was drawing and checking that I was on target.

My fiancee wants to train to shoot to wound. I don't think that is a good idea. I agree that if you are in a stress situation you need to train to hit your target.

5. Never shoot to wound. Using deadly force is exactly that. A gun is deadly force. Always shot to center mass and shoot until the threat is stopped. If it's not that much of a threat in the first place then that gun better stay in it's holster.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    My fiancee wants to train to shoot to wound. I don't think that is a good idea. I agree that if you are in a stress situation you need to train to hit your target.

I'm cool w/ shooting to wound. I mean if I hit you you are going to be wounded. It just happens that I intend to keep wounding you until you are no longer a threat to me.

In all seriousness I would never deliberately try to kill another human being, all I want you to do is stop doing what ever your doing that threatens me.

As for the practice drawing I make it my habit to never try to practice "quick draws" I practice going through the steps slowly until it's muscle memory after doing that for a while speed seems to take care of itself
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Shooting to wound is shooting to get youself killed by a wounded armed criminal, two center mass, third tap if necessary to nose.

JSDinTexas Guest
    My primary bedroom gun is a 12 ga with LE load 00 buckshot - that ought to "wound" them pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    My primary bedroom gun is a 12 ga with LE load 00 buckshot - that ought to "wound" them pretty good.

John Wesley Hardin was shot shot in the gut w/ 9 balls of double ought buck and managed to ride out of town. He was laid up for months afterword though
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    John Wesley Hardin was shot shot in the gut w/ 9 balls of double ought buck and managed to ride out of town. He was laid up for months afterword though
    The mistake with Hardin was the shooter stopped with one. That's why I have 9 and 5 more in the side-saddle.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Yup. And Wild Bill Longley was shot 13 or 14 times on one occasion but lived to be hung years later, too.

The problem with shooting to wound is you are just as likely to just piss him off as you are stop his threat to your safety. Not everybody reacts the same way to an injury. Some folks have to be pretty much filled with lead to make them stop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast