New Utah CCW law
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New Utah CCW law

  1. New Utah CCW law

    Utah has passed HB0257S1, changing the Non-Resident CCW rules to allow only non-res licence applications from states that have reciprocity...
    Changes in Store for Utah Concealed Carry Permits

    I called Utah BCI today, for more info, and was told the new law doesn't take effect until May 1, so get your apps in NOW!!!

  2.   
  3. Mine expires in November. The renewal application states that applications cannot be accepted more than ninety days before they expire.

    Grrr.

    However, there is no carry permit available in the jurisdiction of my residence. So, I think this means that I can still apply and be issued a permit.

    Is this correct?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

  4. #3
    Here's what the new law does in a nutshell. It's directly from the link in the first post in this thread:

    Senate Bill 26 requires non-residents who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit to first obtain one from their home state, if available.

    If your state honor's Utah's permit and issues permits, you have to first get one from your state.

    If your state doesn't honor Utah's permit, or doesn't issue permits, no problem.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    Mine expires in November. The renewal application states that applications cannot be accepted more than ninety days before they expire.

    Grrr.

    However, there is no carry permit available in the jurisdiction of my residence. So, I think this means that I can still apply and be issued a permit.

    Is this correct?

    Even if your state did have a permit...and your state honored UT's permit...renewals don't have to qualify under the new law until after Jan 1, 2012.

  6. Thanks for that, guys. I read only one article on the subject and it wasn't that clear.
    What has happened to journalism programs? (lol)
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    Here's what the new law does in a nutshell. It's directly from the link in the first post in this thread:

    Senate Bill 26 requires non-residents who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit to first obtain one from their home state, if available.

    If your state honor's Utah's permit and issues permits, you have to first get one from your state.

    If your state doesn't honor Utah's permit, or doesn't issue permits, no problem.
    Am I missing something??? I think/thought that the bill said that IF your home state issues a CCW permit then you were required to get one first (also) before Utah would issue you a non-resident permit...I never saw anything that stated that your home state must also honor Utah's permit before you had to meet the new requirement....

  8. #7
    Here's the passage in the utah bill that discusses this.

    "...(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency ... "

    I'd love to see a final version of the bill - everything I've seen were drafts with some parts lined out.

    But, for example, I live in Oregon, which issues CCLs, but doesn't recognize Utah's. I AM NOT required to get an Oregon CCL prior to getting a Utah one because Oregon doesn't recognize Utah's.

    We need a lawyer on this forum to decypher some of this stuff for us!!!
    Last edited by diannabill; 04-01-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: addition

  9. This may help or further muddy the waters...

    I've been in email conversation with the Utah Concealed Weapon Supervisor.

    I told him that I am an American citizen currently residing out of the country in a jurisdiction that does not issue CCW permits. This is equivalent to living in a state that does not issue CCW permits.

    I don't know if it applies to states or counties that do on paper but very rarely do in reality--NYC, NJ, Md., for example.

    When it is time to reapply, I need to send a photocopy of my drivers licence and my U.S. Passport. Then I will be be able to renew.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. NRA CSSA GOA 2AF CCRKBA / Tactical Pistol Instructor

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    I don't know if it applies to states or counties that do on paper but very rarely do in reality--NYC, NJ, Md., for example.

    NY, NJ, MD...do have permits in theory, but none of them honor the UT permit...which means those citizens are not affected by this new law.

  11. Well, that news blurb got me off my duff anyway, I had been sitting on the paperwork since I did the class last november.
    Can't get one here, (Kalifornia) but now I'll have Utah in addition to Oregon!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast