worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough?

JSDinTexas Guest

Situational awareness and more

Situational awareness, which I take to mean being aware of your surroundings, is a good habit to be combined with all the other habits like knowing your tools and how to use them effectively, being mentally aware and able and willing to do great harm and so on.
    I was sitting in my vehicle in the Walmart parking lot last week, watching a women totally engrossed on her cell phone while standing outside her car with the door open. This is the same lot where they have had about a half dozen robberies in the last couple of months.

Thats why I pocket carry and when walking outside I always have my hand on my gun!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

Thumbs down Mad Mell

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.
    Brought to you by that anti-semitic punk Mel Gibson.

Edit for better clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Profisher777 View Post
    While a firearm is probably the best defense in stopping an immediate (threat,) when you have time to draw, you have to think(:) Will I always have time to draw and if not what then? I have been thinking, not only is getting a ccw a great idea, but taking some (unarmed self-defense) courses may be... ...good to take as well.
    In concept I agree with you. Self-defense should not be contrained by having a certain weapon, being able to execute a certain movement, or wearing a certain type of attire. You should be able to defend yourself at all times in all situations.

Case in point, swimming in your backyard pool. Do you wear a waterproof belt with a kydex holster for your G17 fitted with marine spring cups, or do you attach the holster on the bottom of your kickboard, or if you are not going to use a kickboard do you tape the holster to a swim fin? I seriously doubt anyone does that. (I could be wrong though. ) Instead there are, or at least should be, other elements to your overall security and protection stategy.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post

That wasn't Gibson's line and even if it was it was still a good movie
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Profisher777 View Post
    While a firearm is probably the best defense in stopping an immediate when you have time to draw, you have to think; Will I always have time to draw and if not what then? I have been thinking, not only is getting a ccw a great idea, but taking some krav maga courses may be just as good to take as well.

What if you are walking back to your car out of the mall in a busy parking lot, you dont know a BG is hiding behind the car next to yours and when you are putting your bags in the car, he makes his move and you now have a gun or knife in your face before you can draw? Without any other training, your screwed. You do not know if he is going to let you live or not. He certainly will not if he sees you are getting a gun....does anybody take krav maga or other self defense courses, and what do you do to prevent these scenarios?
    You always have to be scanning your surroundings for threats! If your walking around with your head in the clouds your asking to be jumped. I always walk with my hand on my mace(it's attached to my car keys.) in case someone jumps out. I would rather mace someone then take their live.

When I'm with my wife she puts the bags in the car and I stand behind her looking for threats. As I don't live in Baghdad and I have enough brains to avoid the bad areas of town at night. I have never had a need to touch my firearm or my many less lethal weapons I carry.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It was Tina Turner's Line. Sorry. It wasn't her's. It was the ring master.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Good Book?

I have run into a book at my local library that does address the original poster's questions and it's something I've been thinking about myself. The book is called "Attack Proof" and is written (if memory serves) by former LE who were proficient in martial arts.

A lot of the book does focus on hand to hand combat type situations. They do have segments on using weapons for self defense. At the opening to that segment they suggest that situational awareness can't always save you and that someone can get the drop on you no matter how aware you are. (I'm just citing the book here, not intending to contradict other posters on situational awareness) They recomend tactics that involve hand-to-hand responses to give yourself an opportunity to bring your weapon into play. I haven't had a chance to read all the way through the book yet but it seemed to be a good resource.

My response is somewhat two-fold; I think that book does have answers to the OP's questions but I really don't know how good the answers are. That would be my question (not attempting to hijack the thread); has anyone heard of that book and what do you think of it?

From the title of this thread "Can't draw fast enough", I don't know about the rest of you but if I have two guns pointing at me I am not even going to think about drawing. I am not that fast or crazy. Now there might be some very unusual situation where I have my hand already on my gun and the two are distracted but it is going to be a rare case. From some of the posts on here they interpreted the question about the use of hand-to-hand training. Again with two guns pointing at you there needs to be a better option. None of this is defeatist or whatever but reality and as pointed out the best scenarion is to try and avoid that situation in the first place.

I have said before that I hear so many people say "I am getting me a gun for protection". I ask, "What are you going to do, make a suit of armor out of it"? Too many people tend to think that having a gun is some sort of talisman to prevent harm and others have been watching too many Bruce Lee movies. Both forms of defense help but you need to be realistic and realize that the most powerful weapon in your arsenal is that glob of grey matter between your ears. The big problem is that the human male body only contains enough blood to supply a limited number of body parts at one time. That is why when the hand starts to go for the gun the brain turns off. The heart has to reroute blood from the brain to the hand. Same way when wimmin are involved, blood again is rerouted from the brain to another part of the body. These types of situations cause men to make some really dumb decisions.

Personally I feel that if I am unable to draw my gun before a threat presents itself, then I'm no worse off the if I didn't have a gun. But, if I AM able to draw, then I am better off. I'd rather have the opportunity to protect myself than not.

Like the saying goes:

I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast