worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough?

When the only tool you have in the toolbox is a hammer you tend to treat everything like a nail.

Situational awareness & close quarters open hand training should be added to any serious self defense firearms training. Just my .02

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    When the only tool you have in the toolbox is a hammer you tend to treat everything like a nail.

Situational awareness
    & close quarters open hand training should be added to any serious self defense firearms training. Just my .02
    That's not really something you can teach someone. You can show them why it's a good idea. But once that class ends it all goes out the window. The cell phone tends to be glued to the ear, or they are walking and texting.

People do and say anything they need to in order to pass a class.

All that training is a great idea, but in the end it comes down to money. Do I take this extra training class? Or do I put food on the table or pay off that bill?

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    That's not really something you can teach someone. You can show them why it's a good idea. But once that class ends it all goes out the window. The cell phone tends to be glued to the ear, or they are walking and texting.

People do and say anything they need to in order to pass a class.

All that training is a great idea, but in the end it comes down to money. Do I take this extra training class? Or do I put food on the table or pay off that bill?
    Situational Awareness is definitely teachable, whether it sticks or not is largely dependent on the student. Goes to the old adage that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

People who are that unaware are asking for trouble. I agree that situational awareness is probably your best tool and best defense. Taking the ccw course is a great start, but I think the extra classes offered and the more "advanced" courses and more time on the range is what separates the victims from the survivors. I know that IF I were in a bad situation, id want as much knowledge and know how as possible. Im not saying that everybody needs extra curricular courses, but id like to have it. I need to still get my ccw though so im just starting. April 16th cannot get here any faster.

To me this story illustrates a point that (IMO) a lot of people that carry don't get; namely that once the bad guy initiates the confrontation you're in it to the end no matter what and even if you end up behind the 8 ball you still have to fight through it.

What I mean by that is that if the bad guy chooses to break contact you can't legally continue after him once he is no longer a threat while he is under no such restriction.

As a law abiding citizen you are obligated to fight a defensive action on ground of the enemy's choosing and, unless you overcome him, he decides when it's over.

So whether you start at a disadvantage or not you had better be prepared to fight no matter what.

That said, I agree w/ the OP that some type of hand to hand fighting skills are desirable, I just think that each of us needs to make our own acessment and decision as to what works best for us.

As for situational awareness (IMO) the only real way it can be taught is to put the student in a situation that requires it. As an example, my first year of college I worked in a home for "teen offenders" I still have a scar on my forhead because I took my eyes off one of the kids for a second and she frisbee'd a dinner plate at me. That's how you learn situational awareness
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123