worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough?

worst case scenario, cant draw fast enough?

While a firearm is probably the best defense in stopping an immediate when you have time to draw, you have to think; Will I always have time to draw and if not what then? I have been thinking, not only is getting a ccw a great idea, but taking some krav maga courses may be just as good to take as well.

What if you are walking back to your car out of the mall in a busy parking lot, you dont know a BG is hiding behind the car next to yours and when you are putting your bags in the car, he makes his move and you now have a gun or knife in your face before you can draw? Without any other training, your screwed. You do not know if he is going to let you live or not. He certainly will not if he sees you are getting a gun....does anybody take krav maga or other self defense courses, and what do you do to prevent these scenarios?

3. Not an expert but you should always be aware of your surroundings.
    Also, how many times have you been assaulted in the parking lot? Chances are none.
    If you start to conceal carry your odds remain the same.

When I started to carry a pocket knife as a kid, my odds of getting attacked didn't change.
    Besides, even the best trained person can have an off day.

I think you're thinking too much about 'what if's'

I think if you are serious about defending yourself and your family, you need to know hand to hand combat. There may be times where you need to fight off your attacker long enough to get to your gun.

Your gun is not a magic wand. A gun gives some people a false sense of security.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

My first thoughts were with smudley. Hey Pro: First off, the worst case scenario happened just before your worst case scenario---there is no reason for this scenario to happen in the first place if you really follow situational awareness all the time--where you park, etal. Secondly, the what if is just that---you can get hit by a meteorite also and never have a chance to take cover. I'm sorry and apologize for making light of your scenario but I am 69 and lived most years in NY/NJ and NEVER have come close to anything remotely needing any form of defense whatsoever--methinks you should concentrate on more obvious possibilities and think more about situational awareness and stay ahead of your what ifs.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    My first thoughts were with smudley. Hey Pro: First off, the worst case scenario happened just before your worst case scenario---there is no reason for this scenario to happen in the first place if you really follow situational awareness all the time--where you park, etal. Secondly, the what if is just that---you can get hit by a meteorite also and never have a chance to take cover. I'm sorry and apologize for making light of your scenario but I am 69 and lived most years in NY/NJ and NEVER have come close to anything remotely needing any form of defense whatsoever--methinks you should concentrate on more obvious possibilities and think more about situational awareness and stay ahead of your what ifs.
    I could be wrong but I think he wants to know if we think hand- to - hand combat training along with carrying, is a good idea.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    I could be wrong but I think he wants to know if we think hand- to - hand combat training along with carrying, is a good idea.
    Sound like it to me as well.

To the OP, self defense training is never wasted.
    My son is a 3rd Dan in Taekwondo. He started training at 11. He did this
    to counter what he perceived as a threat. (new school, new state) He was the little Yankee boy in a Dixie school. This training will be with him for life, EVEN if he never practices, his muscle memory no matter how diminished in time will be better than no training. Some training may give you the seconds you need to be able to draw your weapon

Also you must take into consideration that using your gun may not always be the best course of action in an attack. The bleeding heart liberal prosecuting attorneys like to make examples of people who "in their opinion" use excessive force in defending themselves. You don't have to be convicted to be PERsecuted!

As a footnote, I have begun training my son in Budo this year to enhance his martial arts training.
    My gun is like an adult diaper, I wear it daily & no one has to know, until the day "crap happens"

I've lived in NYC, and have had many instances of fending off potential muggers and attackers. In a few of those instances, when being targeted by a mugger, a firearm would of been useful. Unfortunately, the People's Republic of NY doesn't allow the citizens an effective means to protect themselves. As a matter of fact they go out of their way to disarm the honest citizen: No knives, batons, tasers, tear gas, or firearms allowed.

But I digress. "Situational Awareness" allowed me to see the them preying for a victim. One time I closed the distance rapidly to offset the mutt's rhythm, as his hand went to his waist band to draw a gun. A firearm on me, wouldn't of helped, because I would of been playing catch up on his draw. Best course of action was disrupting his draw, and controlling his weapon.

It's the pack animals (groups of teens to mid 20s) that are the most difficult to assess and anticipate. Best course of action is to avoid them all together, but if you must engage, hit the lead one fast, decisively and move. Their group invincibility gets shaken and they get taken aback. Allows you a chance to getaway.

So you need to know/learn how to use your hands and feet. A few years of Martial Arts training is the best way to learn effective strikes and techniques. Those quickie self defense classes will only teach you enough to get into real trouble. I especially despise the so called women's self defense classes. Their techniques are mostly ineffective in a majority of the scenarios they teach.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Alright I think I came off a little careless. I apologize for the crappy scenario, and I agree situational awareness is key too, and myself I never park in the jungle of cars in the mall, its just not smart. My girlfriend always yells at me for not trying to park close to the entrance and having to walk farther. I guess what I was trying to say is that a firearm is not always the best option. I was just wondering what others thought would be best to do when it turns sour. I am just coming to the point of view that im still in the process in getting my cpl and cannot legally carry my firearm yet unless its open carry. Supprise attacks happen all the time, even to the most aware people, do you comply to demands and hope you live or learn the methods to disarm another attacker?

Quote Originally Posted by Profisher777 View Post
    ... do you comply to demands and hope you live or learn the methods to disarm another attacker?
    It's a crap shoot. You have to analyze each situation on it's own merits & use you gut instincts.
    I carry $50 cash in a clip in my pocket. (no I.D. or credit cards) If there is a way out & I don't get that he's going to kill me regardless vibe, I would toss the money clip to one side & run toward the opening.
    But every situation is different.
    My gun is like an adult diaper, I wear it daily & no one has to know, until the day "crap happens"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast