Multi-state Carry question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-state Carry question

1. Multi-state Carry question

Hey everyone, new guy here with a question.. I will be getting my CCW in Iowa here in a few months as soon as i get back from Afghanistan. Then I will be driving my truck down to Florida where i am stationed, but I just noticed that I will have to travel through atleast 1 state that does not have reciprosity with Iowa.

So my question is how does one usually deal with this? Will my best bet be to pull over before the state lines, and Secure my Sidearm in a locked case? Or will I usually be fine since I am just driving through?

Thanks for the help, just trying to get an idea of what Im going to be dealing with.

James

When going through a state that does not have reciprocity with your permit you preferably want the ammo in a lock box and the weapon unloaded and locked in a separate case in the trunk. I'd advise picking up a copy of The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. He gives great insight on the states you'll be going through and how each has differing laws. I hope this helps.

4. Thanks for the reply WeekendDaze. ill look into ordering that book!

Georgia Concealed Carry Permit Information

I assume you are speaking of GA and according to the above link you can keep it in your center console and/or glove compartment without worry. Just to be safe I would double check with the State to verify that. I hope you plan on bypassing IL because you can forget about being able to defend yourself here. Ammo separate with the gun locked in a case is the norm here.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF007 View Post
    Hey everyone, new guy here with a question.. I will be getting my CCW in Iowa here in a few months as soon as i get back from Afghanistan. Then I will be driving my truck down to Florida where i am stationed, but I just noticed that I will have to travel through atleast 1 state that does not have reciprosity with Iowa.
    Thank you for your service Sir.

Which state will not recognize your IA permit? You could also get an AZ permit and that will fill in the blanks between IA and FL...with exception of IL.

Quote Originally Posted by WeekendDaze View Post
    When going through a state that does not have reciprocity with your permit you preferably want the ammo in a lock box and the weapon unloaded and locked in a separate case in the trunk. I'd advise picking up a copy of The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. He gives great insight on the states you'll be going through and how each has differing laws. I hope this helps.

For FOPA standards, separate cases is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF007 View Post
    Will my best bet be to pull over before the state lines, and Secure my Sidearm in a locked case?
    That's how I deal with it.
    I have a "one gun safe", which easily holds 3 handguns, with electronic combination lock bolted to the floor of my truck. It's amazes me at how often I use this safe! Most often I use it to hold my gun while going into a gun-free zone but it's handy for holding my wallet while working on-site as well.

You should be able to find a couple of models for around $125.

You're welcome, and thank you for serving.

The thing about GA, if that is your state in question, is if your military you need no carry permit. SS 16-11-130 para. 3 states that if you are employed in the office of the military for the state or the U.S. than you are exempt from the laws regulating carry in GA. I do have my GWL since I live here but I also have my TNHCP and my military ID. I have only been questioned once about my permit (in GA) and my Military Id satisfied his needs. The law does not say you must be on duty or in the line of duty, there are no court cases but there is an AG opinion and many discussions on the topic, AG agrees with what I have stated. Other than that I remember having the discussion about the auto mobile carry in GA before and as long as you are qualified to have the permit, minus the residency qualification than anywhere in the vehicle is good to go. Again you can read through the laws yourself in SS 16-11-126 thru 16-11-130 for the most part those are it. I too will say thank you for serving and do it honourably, God speed and good luck.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

That is true about the military exception in Georgia.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

11. Quote Originally Posted by marionandjohn View Post
    The thing about GA, if that is your state in question, is if your military you need no carry permit. SS 16-11-130 para. 3 states that if you are employed in the office of the military for the state or the U.S. than you are exempt from the laws regulating carry in GA. I do have my GWL since I live here but I also have my TNHCP and my military ID. I have only been questioned once about my permit (in GA) and my Military Id satisfied his needs. The law does not say you must be on duty or in the line of duty, there are no court cases but there is an AG opinion and many discussions on the topic, AG agrees with what I have stated. Other than that I remember having the discussion about the auto mobile carry in GA before and as long as you are qualified to have the permit, minus the residency qualification than anywhere in the vehicle is good to go. Again you can read through the laws yourself in SS 16-11-126 thru 16-11-130 for the most part those are it. I too will say thank you for serving and do it honourably, God speed and good luck.
    dam, thats an awesome law! i think everystate should adopt that! thank youf or the heads up.. Last time i made the trek down i went from iowa, to missouri, went through the very tip of arkansas into tenn. then to alabama and ultimatly to FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast