Sheep Dogs - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    You don't have to abstract the analogy into a realm where it doesn't apply or make sense to know where you stand.

I agree with many of the "sheepdog" principles. I continually rehash one for-instance. If someone comes into my school and starts shooting up the place, I am going to respond. That's where I feel like a lot of people would go beyond self defense is with a mass murderer.

I suppose in some respect it would be self defense, because I couldn't live with my conscience knowing that I didn't do what I could to save a life. It's probably cooler to be nihilistic though.
    That sounds reasonable to me. Honestly, I view that as self-defense - you just happen to be saving a few other lives at the same time.

To me it is simple - I have to know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. If it is two people that I don't know arguing in an alley, I'm staying out of it. If it is a mass-murder like the Virginia Tech thing, while I would not put on some tights and a cape and go running into the building (assuming I had no family and/or close friends in there), if I am in there already I will do what I have to do for me and said family and friends to survive. In my untrained opinion that would be to try to get as many people out as possible. Barring that I am going to find a place for all of us to hide where if the BG comes upon us I will have the advantage of cover, concealment and/or surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackieChan View Post
    You don't have to abstract the analogy into a realm where it doesn't apply or make sense to know where you stand.

I agree with many of the "sheepdog" principles. I continually rehash one for-instance. If someone comes into my school and starts shooting up the place, I am going to respond. That's where I feel like a lot of people would go beyond self defense is with a mass murderer.

I suppose in some respect it would be self defense, because I couldn't live with my conscience knowing that I didn't do what I could to save a life. It's probably cooler to be nihilistic though.
    I would consider the above to be an act of self defense. If you are in an active shooter situation, you can not be sure that you will not be targeted. I would rather end the thing while I had the initiative than give the initiative to the shooter. This is not "being a sheepdog" and interfering in something that is none of your business, it is just sound tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    G50AE, Punch, Treo, Lakeland

We act as mall ninjas, Former Meth and Ice adicts like "Dog the bounty hunter", Parking Enforcement Officers on Colege Campuses (Who are not LEO's BTW), and other "tactical" personel. We thump our chests and proclaim the sheepdog concept because it makes us feel, well "tactical". We wear CCW badges and carry handcuffs in case we need to go sheep dog on someone. We also regularly recite the "sheepdog's prayer" and sing the "sheepdog's gansta rap song" because it puts our acts in the proper (and rediculous) perspective. Quite frankly I am offended that you would make fun of the sheepdog concept, but since you insist, please go ahead an continue to post that picture of NavyLT's sheepdog Dixie, whenever the sheepdog concept is mentioned.
    Well since you insist.

5. DAISY! Her name is DAISY!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Blog Entries
    Last weekend, there was an armed robbery attempt at a local pizza place in Pittsburgh. It made the news, as the owner now encourages his employees to get gun permits, and encourages his drivers to carry. The owner, Mark Miller, was on the air to discuss his experience, and he brought up the fact that a well-armed public is the greatest deterrent to crime in the world. I couldn't agree more. The best part of the story, aside from no one being harmed, and the robber fleeing with empty pockets, is that their marquee now reads "WE NOW CARRY."
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Been reading here a long time - Army vet (E7), NRA member, FL CWFL holder - but this thread convinced me to register and comment.

Most who use this "sheepdog" notion do not seem familiar with Grossman's book On Killing and how he used it. If one has read his work, they know about his discussion of the topic of posturing - that is one cannot not only fight or flee, but humans also posture. Sadly, when those who do not meet his definition of the role of sheepdog try to identify with it, it is posturing.

If, as a civilian protecting myself and my loved ones, I prove a deterrent (e.g., as in Lott's research), then that is a benefit of being prepared. However, if by holding my CWFL, I assume that I have some larger protector role, I am posturing. As Clint Smith notes "The best example of good training is to never get in a fight." Awareness and avoidance. As an armed civilian, if you hear gunshots in the distance, you go the other way. You dial 911. If you cannot, then you fight for your life. A "sheepdog" (in Grossman's terms) goes toward it - they are on the other end of that 911 call - that is their job. There is a difference between being unwilling to be a victim and taking on a role that is not ours to take.

Qft^
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

9. I wonder when I read some of the replys above, who was in Nam. I think it was a great posting.

HE IS NOT HEAVY LORD, HE IS MY BROTHER.

handgonnetoter Guest
    I can't speak for you all, but I carry to protect my family and myself. No more or no less. When we decide we are everyones guardians, we usually end up biting off more than we can chew.

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    I can't speak for you all, but I carry to protect my family and myself. No more or no less. When we decide we are everyones guardians, we usually end up biting off more than we can chew.
    Please note the picture of Daisy, posted above. My apologies to NavyLCDR for getting her name wrong.
    Last edited by G50AE; 10-28-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Updated post to reflect NavyLT's promotion to NavyLCDR.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast