AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73

Thread: AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by billwot View Post
    Remember that AA stands for alcoholics anonymous. How would any governmental agency have knowledge of your participation?

    Different states have different rules regarding an applicants history of drug and alcohol use. Here in NC, the only relevant question is "have you been convicted of DUI in the past 3 years?"
    Good point but I stopped assuming that the government won't collect any information on anybody, anytime - (since the Patriot Act - just mentioning it, not stirring another topic) It's not like they couldn't get this anonymous info if they wanted it. I can see a DA retrieve the so-called anonymous information to pursue and compound a legal issue upon a CCW not directly related to AA.
    Last edited by antietam; 04-03-2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: sp

  2.   
  3. #12
    IMHO, assuming you don't have any of the legal issues that may surround someone with an alcohol problem, I can't see how simply attending AA would have any bearing on getting a license.

    First of all, how would they even know?

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    It is a personal choice to go to AA meetings. It has no legal status unless it is court ordered. It is your personal business. I have gone to understand people that have come into my life and to support said people. I believe it is protected in much the same way attendance to a religious organization is, it could be a discrimination issue and a violation of privacy laws.
    Good stuff - I don't attend AA but know a couple friends who swear by it and its integrity. One is a CCW but I've never felt that her "problem" an issue with carrying because I've no knowledge that she carries drunk - certain, according to her sister, that she has a clean criminal background.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    IMHO, assuming you don't have any of the legal issues that may surround someone with an alcohol problem, I can't see how simply attending AA would have any bearing on getting a license.

    First of all, how would they even know?
    Read the current replies and your question should be answered. "First of all, how would they even know?" Amazing assumption.
    Last edited by antietam; 04-03-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: sp

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    Read the current replies and your question should be answered. "First of all, how would they even know?" Amazing assumption.
    I guess I'm confused then. Even assuming they manage to find out a person is attending AA, what requirement to get a CCL would be violated by the fact that they attend?

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    IMHO, assuming you don't have any of the legal issues that may surround someone with an alcohol problem, I can't see how simply attending AA would have any bearing on getting a license.

    First of all, how would they even know?
    I should have communicated early on that AA folks become friends and bond like any social group and the anonymity fades away. Certainly, the "institution" of AA keeps members and participants anonymous, except against a court ordered subpoena. It is in this light that I ask the question - "would mere participation in AA weigh against the CCW if a DA pursued legal action against a CCW relating to an separate issue, and in the name of "public safety?"

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    I guess I'm confused then. Even assuming they manage to find out a person is attending AA, what requirement to get a CCL would be violated by the fact that they attend?
    My bad - I failed to communicate very well at all on this.
    Example: A person is under DA scrutiny for a legal issue, not charged at this time. At this point it's often public information already. The person is either a CCW applicant or already a CCW holder. In the name of "public safety," could the DA request and acquire a restraint on the application or revocation of the CCW license under the assumption that the person's "drinking or drug problem," as implicated by AA attendance and statements made (discovered by interrogating fellow AA members), is a threat to public safety?

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    My bad - I failed to communicate very well at all on this.
    Example: A person is under DA scrutiny for a legal issue, not charged at this time. At this point it's often public information already. The person is either a CCW applicant or already a CCW holder. In the name of "public safety," could the DA request and acquire a restraint on the application or revocation of the CCW license under the assumption that the person's "drinking or drug problem," as implicated by AA attendance and statements made (discovered by interrogating fellow AA members), is a threat to public safety?
    Scrutinize the DA!

    here are some SCOTUS opinions that might help.

    Supreme Law School : E-mail : Box 036 : Msg 03678

    more helpful sites:

    WHO HAS RIGHTS?!

    UNDERSTANDING JURISDICTION
    Last edited by Seeya; 04-04-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: spelling & adding
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    I'm never sure about PA Firearms laws as they are so vague. But on the Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms they do have two alcohol related questions:

    1. Are you a habitual drunkard?

    2. Have you had five or more DUIs?

    So I'm assuming that if you attend AA you may or may not be considered an "Habitual Drunkard." And denied a Permit.
    Habitual Drunkard is a subjective term. Legislative jargon. Not defined legaly and if, can be challenged to validity.

    5 or more DUI's: are bartenders licensed? I ask because I have become intoxicated at bars more often then anywhere else by a greedy bartender who's tip is based on the amount of my tab and my mood when I pay my bill. Tip's = Commision. Car Saleman are Licensed, any commercial activity can be licensed. which brings me to this.

    License = permission of authority

    Right = no permission needed

    Before Prohibition 18th amendment repealed by the 21st amendment elected officials left the private people/citizen's alone so long as he did not do harm to another and no license was required to carry a weapon. Yes there were local laws that were found to violate the Consitution of the Republic of the United States of America.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    If your participation is purely voluntary I don't believe ther is any proof of attendane. AA means anonymous. There is no registration or sign-in sheet.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast