AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 73

Thread: AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW

  1. #41
    If anything it shows that the individual is being responsable.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SE FL and SE OH
    Posts
    5,668
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy62 View Post
    I know several attorneys that attend meetings. They would love this challenge.
    Many would do it just for fun of making the DA look bad. And then there would be the reaming that the judge might give too. And it does happen. Sometimes even in front of the jury. Many DAs who are young and trying to prove a name for themselves would try to bring up the AA. Older DAs are normally wiser and know better, unless on a vendetta.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy62 View Post
    I know several attorneys that attend meetings. They would love this challenge.
    If opportunity permits please encourage any of your attorney friends to ponder and expound on the points of this thread. Professional opinions are needed and welcome. Thanks

  5. #44
    So is this a purely hypothetical thread? Have you applied yet? I'm actually looking forward to finding out that you successfully got a CCL despite attending A.A. I personally think that it's not going to be an issue. But hey - that's my opinion. I'm ready for some facts!

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by diannabill View Post
    So is this a purely hypothetical thread? Have you applied yet? I'm actually looking forward to finding out that you successfully got a CCL despite attending A.A. I personally think that it's not going to be an issue. But hey - that's my opinion. I'm ready for some facts!
    Yes, purely hypothetical, thanks.

  7. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    This is an excellent reference regarding compelled AA attendance to meet parole requirements and the courts' view of that mandate and AA. Thanks.
    I'm interested however, in AA atendance by a CCW holder or applicant and how or if that participation with its implications can be used [by a DA or other government agency] as supplemental evidence or reason to suspend or revoke a CCW license [or deny a CCW applicant] if the person is under investigation for a crime where carrying would or could endanger the public.
    If a CCW holder was under the investigation of a crime they would probably have had their CCW pulled by the sheriff already. I understand where the OP is coming from, not wanting anything that can be used against you in a court of law. But reality is, if a PA wants to put you behind bars they will dig up every little bit of dirt on you they can (did he kick his dog, spit onthe sidewalk, swear at his mother, etc.)

    As for attending AA and being able to apply for a CCW, that would depend on which state the applicant resides in and what their states laws read. Here in Missouri, if a person shows a pattern of behavior, that in the opinion of the sheriff poses a threat to themselves or others, they can be denied a CCW permit. So the question then is, did the person have a pattern of behavior prior to application that would lead the local sheriff to believe that granting a CCW permit would not be in their best interest? Going to AA indicates a prior problem with alcohol consumption, was this documented as public record? If so, then receiving a CCW may be an issue (at least in my state). How about yours? What does your law say?

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    PANHANDLE, FL
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by RJT CCW View Post
    If a CCW holder was under the investigation of a crime they would probably have had their CCW pulled by the sheriff already. I understand where the OP is coming from, not wanting anything that can be used against you in a court of law. But reality is, if a PA wants to put you behind bars they will dig up every little bit of dirt on you they can (did he kick his dog, spit onthe sidewalk, swear at his mother, etc.)

    As for attending AA and being able to apply for a CCW, that would depend on which state the applicant resides in and what their states laws read. Here in Missouri, if a person shows a pattern of behavior, that in the opinion of the sheriff poses a threat to themselves or others, they can be denied a CCW permit. So the question then is, did the person have a pattern of behavior prior to application that would lead the local sheriff to believe that granting a CCW permit would not be in their best interest? Going to AA indicates a prior problem with alcohol consumption, was this documented as public record? If so, then receiving a CCW may be an issue (at least in my state). How about yours? What does your law say?
    RJT CCW:
    You excellently covered every aspect of the thread question. Your, "not wanting anything that can be used against you in a court of law. But reality is, if a PA wants to put you behind bars they will dig up every little bit of dirt on you they can (did he kick his dog, spit onthe sidewalk, swear at his mother, etc.)" is key to the point of this thread.
    diannabill's question to the hypothetical scenario is important but we have to realize that the scenario exists - has to, somewhere. Thanks for not assuming that the title, "Anonymous," means anything at all if the right tax-funded infinitely-resourced-employee wants to know.
    Last edited by antietam; 04-12-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: sp

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chattanooga TN
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    As the courts can get in trouble for even forcing one to go to AA/NA, it really shouldn't matter. Courts can only order treatment. Where depends on what the person wants. IMHO, it really should be nobody's business but the person attending. Even moreso if you go on your own.

    Case law is at http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...07/0615474.pdf Person objected on religious grounds.
    I love it. A devout Budhist that bangs methamphetamine has an objection to a spiritual not religious program.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Chattanooga TN
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    If opportunity permits please encourage any of your attorney friends to ponder and expound on the points of this thread. Professional opinions are needed and welcome. Thanks
    I forgot to mention that they are also CCWers.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Leaving aside state law and not having read all the replies, when I saw the question my first thought was a great big "WHY?". The argument for alcohol, being drunk and being CC are obvious--what membership in AA has to do with CC is, IMO, ridiculous. I understand where this argument is coming from but to stretch it into the assumption that because you are in AA that makes you a living breathing 24/7 out of control drunk is just stupid.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast