AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW

AA Alcoholics Anonymous) participation - disqualify CCW

Will participation in Alcoholics Anonymous disqualify a CCW applicant or jeopardize an existing CCW holder's license, if CCW licensing officials in a given state obtain knowledge of the participation?

3. I'm never sure about PA Firearms laws as they are so vague. But on the Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms they do have two alcohol related questions:

1. Are you a habitual drunkard?

2. Have you had five or more DUIs?

So I'm assuming that if you attend AA you may or may not be considered an "Habitual Drunkard." And denied a Permit.

I ignore the question I haven't had a drink in 28 years as far as I'm concerned it's irrelevant
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by antietam View Post
    Will participation in Alcoholics Anonymous disqualify a CCW applicant or jeopardize an existing CCW holder's license, if CCW licensing officials in a given state obtain knowledge of the participation?
    Question best asked is that AA requirement a part of a probation requirement? Any probation in Florida is grounds for having a gun owner charged with violating FS 948.03(1)(l) unless the owner gets approval from the judge and probation officer to have guns. That includes persons on Community Control. A DUI probation is included.

(l) Be prohibited from possessing, carrying, or owning any firearm unless authorized by the court and consented to by the probation officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I ignore the question I haven't had a drink in 28 years as far as I'm concerned it's irrelevant
    Same here as I don't drink or abuse medications.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Question best asked is that AA requirement a part of a probation requirement? Any probation in Florida is grounds for having a gun owner charged with violating FS 948.03(1)(l) unless the owner gets approval from the judge and probation officer to have guns. That includes persons on Community Control. A DUI probation is included.
    Thanks for the info - it is good to know this but the question is not:

1. an invitation for those who don't drink or haven't in many years, to declare so
    2. related to DUIs - DUI ramifications are obvious

Simply, will attendance and participation in AA alone, without any medical determination or crime factors, affect a CCW applicant or an existing CCW holder? I'm interested in variance, state by state on this.

bob16066: interesting about PA, I'm thinking that most states vaguely word this issue so it can swing any way, thanks.
    Last edited by antietam; 04-03-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: sp

My answer is no, albeit unqualified.

In dealing with four states over the years I have found a general vagueness. I consider that the State is using the everyday pedestrian meaning of words and conditions rather than a clinical, recovery, or dogmatic intent.

A person with twenty years continuous sobriety is an alcoholic and is still addicted to alcohol as far as the recovery community is concerned. The same person "used to be an alcoholic" to his cousin's wife.

The only specificity I have seen is in regards to inpatient or outpatient treatment and a period of years since.

In Colorado (FWIW) if you can prove 3 years of sobriety the question doesn't apply to you.

In my case all my records concerning alcohol were juvie and they were sealed the day iturned 18. Officially, I am not an alcoholic ( personally I don't really care if I am or not I haven't drank in over half my life and see no point in starting now)

Bottom line (IMO) if you've been clean for over 5 years I wouldn't worry about it
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

It is a personal choice to go to AA meetings. It has no legal status unless it is court ordered. It is your personal business. I have gone to understand people that have come into my life and to support said people. I believe it is protected in much the same way attendance to a religious organization is, it could be a discrimination issue and a violation of privacy laws.
    Last edited by Seeya; 04-03-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: new thoughts
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Remember that AA stands for alcoholics anonymous. How would any governmental agency have knowledge of your participation?

Different states have different rules regarding an applicants history of drug and alcohol use. Here in NC, the only relevant question is "have you been convicted of DUI in the past 3 years?"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast