National Parks - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Parks

JSDinTexas Guest

Leave it up to the Feds to [fill in your own phrase here]

I was curious so I did a quick reading of firearm rules in Natl Parks and found some interesting stuff. The summary is this:

1) You can carry in a Natl Park - OC is allowed or CC with a permit (wait-there's more)
    2) You cannot OC in some parks
    3) You cannot CC without a permit and NPs generally follow state reciprocity agreements
    4) You can carry but NOT DISCHARGE THE FIREARM in some parks
    5) You cannot discharge a bow and arrow, airgun, crossbow, etc in some parks
    6) You cannot discharge a firearm in Denali NP from Sept 1 to Sept 15
    7) Some parks cover multiple states so the laws are different inside the park depending upon what state you are in inside the park

So this stuff is all over the board

Here is Big Bend NP in Texas:
    "As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, please review this PDF of Texas Firearm Regulations [this links to TX state concealed handgun laws]

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Keep in mind that the regulations to carry a firearm do not permit the discharging of a firearm. The discharge of a firearm is still illegal in national parks." [this statement does not seem true based on what other specific park sites say]

Big Bend National Park - Firearms in the Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Quick question does out of state license work in Federal park, school zone issue already discussed??

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Quick question does out of state license work in Federal park, school zone issue already discussed??
    Based on what I've read on the Natl Parks website, each park seems to fall back on state carry laws in the state in which they are located. Then they add certain rules within each park (no carry in a building for instance). And the wording seems to always include the phrase "to comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws."

I am purposely vague in this response because I didn't look at every park's requirements. I believe what would need to happen is check the state's laws on OC and CC, what reciprocity the state has with your concealed license, and if you have no license, can a person legally carry TO the park from someplace (for instance, if one can legally OC in a park, but the state it is located in prohibits any transport of a firearm, how does one legally get it into the park?). And there is more concerning long guns vs handguns, etc.

Like I said, let the government run it, and most of the time, they'll screw it up so bad it's useless.

5. National Park carry is extremely simple. Stand outside the gate of the National Park. Now step inside the gate to the National Park. Now step back outside the gate to the National Park. The laws are THE SAME on both sides of the gate! I don't understand how hard that is to comprehend to some people.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    National Park carry is extremely simple. Stand outside the gate of the National Park. Now step inside the gate to the National Park. Now step back outside the gate to the National Park. The laws are THE SAME on both sides of the gate! I don't understand how hard that is to comprehend to some people.
    Is that the new National park two step?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    National Park carry is extremely simple. Stand outside the gate of the National Park. Now step inside the gate to the National Park. Now step back outside the gate to the National Park. The laws are THE SAME on both sides of the gate! I don't understand how hard that is to comprehend to some people.
    .....and that is about the size of it.

Regardless of the state you're in, state of issue of your permit/license (or none), or the method of carry...you're either legal on both sides of the gate, or illegal on both sides.

Each park may have specific situations that could arise from that park. Such as Big Bend in TX...I was there last year. If you were to take a river ride..."technically" you cross in and out of Mexico...firearms are illegal there..so something to think about as mentioned on their website. Not a real issue in other National Parks though. Also went to Carlsbad Caverns...the Caverns are considered a Federal Facility and carry is illegal inside the cavern....also not an issue in most other parks.

The gift shop etc... at Big Bend did have the sign required by Federal Law that said it was a Federal Facility and that carry was illegal inside.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

handgonnetoter Guest
    I know in Indiana you can carry in State Parks, but if you go into one of the buildings, like where Conservation Officers and such are located, you are not allowed to carry there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123