National Parks
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National Parks

1. National Parks

I know there was some stuff brewing a year of two back...where is the concealed carry law at these days in National Parks? I'm planning a trip in states that I can legally carry in but I'm not sure of the current National Parks.

3. I wish I could edit...

Any state you can legally carry in, you can carry within the National Park in that state. You still can not carry within any Federal Buidling in that park though. Federal Buildings are supposed to be posted that they are such per Federal Law however.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKhan View Post
    I wish I could edit...
    You should be able to by clicking on Edit Post.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKhan View Post
    I know there was some stuff brewing a year of two back...where is the concealed carry law at these days in National Parks? I'm planning a trip in states that I can legally carry in but I'm not sure of the current National Parks.
    There are no national park firearms laws. :-). That's what changed a couple years back. The state laws of whatever state you are physically present in apply, whether you are inside the National Park or outside the National Park, as do the Federal prohibitions on carrying inside Federal facilitites and post office property.

(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Smile Experiences in Summer of 2010

I had the opportunity to travel to a few National Parks in the Summer of 2010 . . . when the law changes re: concealed carry in those parks was fairly new.

The info stated previously all goes along with my experiences at the Grand Canyon, Teton, and Yellowstone. Concealed carry was OK in the parks proper - but, not in MOST of the buildings.

I did find it interesting at the Grand Canyon when I asked about having a firearm in our lodge room - the response was; 'Sure. No problem - feel free to use the safe in the room.' ;-o At Yellowstone - no firearms in the lodge. Period.

I believe they were working on getting the 'bugs' out of the new system. I don't know what the situation is currently.

I WOULD certainly keep my eyes and ears open for what the existing rules and expectations are park by park.

I further find it very interesting - I have not heard of one single instance of a legally carrying park visitor causing any problems - at all anywhere. ;-)

Our local Federal Rep was on record - when this legislation was pending a while back - as stating; "Our National Parks certainly won't be any safer with firearms present!'

I certainly felt a fair bit safer!!! ;-)

JSDinTexas Guest
    Visit the State Parks in Texas - you can carry all you want there.

Don't you need a conceal carry permit to carry in Texas state parks?

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Don't you need a conceal carry permit to carry in Texas state parks?
    That is correct, but a non-resident will work too. And no fishing license needed to fish in our state parks.

11. Thanks guys. I'm looking at a backpacking trip in the Tetons. Almost everywhere I've been backpacking I've been more concerned with encountering bad people rather than animals but here I'm a little bit concerned about Grizzly's. I've had quite a bit of backcountry experience with blackbears with no bad experiences. I'll be carrying bear spray as a first defense...

Are the open carry laws the same N.P.'s as the state also?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast