Should CCW permits be restricted to citizens? - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 141

Thread: Should CCW permits be restricted to citizens?

  1. #51
    It's all pretty much irrelevent. I'm not a US Citizen, I have a valid CHP, and at least one legally obtained firearm. My fingerprints are on file with whoever the successor to the INS now call themselves, and they are checked every time I re-enter the country. I have a licence to transport hazardous materials throughout the US, guess what, that's another set of fingerprints on file for them to check.
    The last time I purchased a firearm the background check came back 'approved' within a couple of seconds of the person clicking on the button to submit my information, none of the 5, 10, 15 minutes waiting I've seen some citizens require, and I suspect that has something to do with the fact I'm on file as being a good person as opposed to not being on file as a bad one.
    Those who want to hate on me simply because I wasn't born here .. get over it. I've been married to a US Citizen for 10 years, my son is a US Citizen and I'll become a citizen here when I'm ready, it's not free to apply, the current cost is approx $700. My current greencard has another 3 years left until it expires, and for now my money is better spent putting a roof over my family's heads, clothes on their backs and food in their bellies; as well as keeping stocked up on the ammunition to prevent anyone taking those things from us.

    Edited to add the following

    I spent some time writing this so didn't see the post immediately above mine until I posted. I'd like to add that I am not 'visiting legally', I live here in the US permanently and legally. As far as I know a visitor does not have the right to bear arms (they do however have the right to bare arms as tshirts have not been banned for tourists). A non citizen applying for a concealed handgun permit must supply an A number, they must also provide that number when purchasing any firearm. If anyone is not sure what an A number is, I'm sure google can help them out.

  2.   
  3. #52
    Since I am the one who started this ... I am myself a legal resident alien, I have a greencard and I have a Utah non resident CCW permit which is valid in NC where I happen to live. I love this country, I am married to an American and I have lived here for 13 years now. I can not get a NC CCW permit because NC requires citizenship, most/many other states do not.

    Let's all agree to disregard illegal aliens, they can not get a CCW permit to begin with since one requirement for getting one is proof of being here legally. So that's pretty much a non issue and I believe that is appropriate.

    The only reason why I have not acquired citizenship yet is that my parents still are in Germany and I may have to eventually go back when they are getting older and need help. The process for acquiring double citizenship is lengthy and burocratic and there's no guarantee that I would succeed.

    As a legal resident alien I can not vote (as it should be) but I am otherwise under the same protections the constitution affords everybody else (at least to my understanding). As the founding fathers pointed out is there are "certain inalienable rights" that every human being should have. The way I interpret it is that includes the right to protect yourself but I am open to discussion. Since my own state does not think so I respect that and obey the laws but I have no problem taking advantage of the intricacies of US CCW laws that allow me to get a permit from another state that takes a more open approach.

    Again, let's not focus on illegal immigrants.

  4. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Booga View Post
    Snatale, as far as I'm concerned on this thread a non-citizen here legally is completely different than one here illegally.
    I would hope that anyone visiting legally is treated with the respect they deserve. That would include the right to a CCW so long as they meet all the requirements of the locale they are in.
    I've never said that legal immigrants don't deserve respect, Good for anybody that comes here for a better life, What I DO believe is that our rights as Americans should not be as easy as showing up one day on American soil. I believe that if you want all the freedoms and privileges of being an American Citizen, then you should in fact become an American Citizen. Thats all.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    I've never said that legal immigrants don't deserve respect, Good for anybody that comes here for a better life, What I DO believe is that our rights as Americans should not be as easy as showing up one day on American soil. I believe that if you want all the freedoms and privileges of being an American Citizen, then you should in fact become an American Citizen. Thats all.
    And it seems to me that you also, apparently, feel that the right to keep and bear arms is at the pleasure of the government vice being a human right.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  6. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    And it seems to me that you also, apparently, feel that the right to keep and bear arms is at the pleasure of the government vice being a human right.
    Do I agree with the fact that the government can screw with the right to keep and bear arms, as well as State level govt which should in no way be able to override the feds doing exactly that NO! Do they do it anyways! YUP!
    The RKBA is an American Right, I'm sure there are other countries that have similar laws, but HUMAN? right, don't know about that. Do I believe that all people everywhere SHOULD be able to properly defend themselves and families? ABSOLUTELY!
    There a 3 Constitutional Carry states, the other 47 deal with crap. Like it or not, you don't give money submit paperwork to get permits and background checks because we agree with that system, we do it because WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!! I'm 100% for assembling, voting in pro-gun people and education others to change the broken gun laws and views of others. But until the laws are fixed, there still the laws. I live in this place called reality. Regardless of what you think If you don't like the current law, you don't fight it by breaking it. You can't put all the bad gun press on the criminals, by becoming one in protest.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Do I agree with the fact that the government can screw with the right to keep and bear arms, as well as State level govt which should in no way be able to override the feds doing exactly that NO! Do they do it anyways! YUP!
    The RKBA is an American Right, I'm sure there are other countries that have similar laws, but HUMAN? right, don't know about that. Do I believe that all people everywhere SHOULD be able to properly defend themselves and families? ABSOLUTELY!
    There a 3 Constitutional Carry states, the other 47 deal with crap. Like it or not, you don't give money submit paperwork to get permits and background checks because we agree with that system, we do it because WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!! I'm 100% for assembling, voting in pro-gun people and education others to change the broken gun laws and views of others. But until the laws are fixed, there still the laws. I live in this place called reality. Regardless of what you think If you don't like the current law, you don't fight it by breaking it. You can't put all the bad gun press on the criminals, by becoming one in protest.
    You are making very hypocritical statements' or at the very least conflicting statements. In a previous post you write this:
    Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    No, American rights are......for Americans. <snip>

    Last time I checked American criminals can't walk around with guns to defend themselves why would foreigners be allowed to?
    And then in the exact same post below you make these two statements:
    Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    The RKBA is an American Right, I'm sure there are other countries that have similar laws, but HUMAN? right, don't know about that. Do I believe that all people everywhere SHOULD be able to properly defend themselves and families? ABSOLUTELY!
    Those two statements right after each other in the same post conflict with each other.

    Example: Do you think in Great Britain, where handguns are banned, that the citizen's there have the right to "properly" defend themselves? Yet, you feel that those same British citizens, when they are lawfully present in the US, should be under the same restrictions that they are in the UK because they are not citizens here. Yet you claim, "Do I believe that all people everywhere SHOULD be able to properly defend themselves and families? ABSOLUTELY!"

    What it seems like you truly believe is that in America, only citizens of the United States should be able to properly defend themselves and families and that the government SHOULD deny those rights to those who are not citizens.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    My mom was Crow, full blood, as such I am 1/2 native American, since I was born in the US I am 1 hundred percent native American. Have nice day.

  9. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Anyone living in America can carry, you have a ablolute right to protect yourself and family.

  10. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    if the right to bear arms is given by God, then doesn't everyone in the world have that same right? What, god don't like Canadians?
    i guess not .....lmfao

  11. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Anyone living in America can carry, you have a ablolute right to protect yourself and family.
    While that SHOULD be true, Take your gun to MA, NY or NJ...thats America. Let me know what the inside of your jail cell looks like. Don't get it wrong as I'm 100% Pro-Gun but it's NOT an absolute right. YES IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE!!! Theres a lot of people in jail for exercising their "Rights" right now. Which is why I now live in VA instead of MA!

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast