Should CCW permits be restricted to citizens? - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Should CCW permits be restricted to citizens?

1. Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Anyone living in America can carry, you have a ablolute right to protect yourself and family.
    While that SHOULD be true, Take your gun to MA, NY or NJ...thats America. Let me know what the inside of your jail cell looks like. Don't get it wrong as I'm 100% Pro-Gun but it's NOT an absolute right. YES IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE!!! Theres a lot of people in jail for exercising their "Rights" right now. Which is why I now live in VA instead of MA!
    I am REALLY confused. Did you change your mind? Before you wrote exactly the opposite:

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    No, American rights are......for Americans.
    I've never said that legal immigrants don't deserve respect, Good for anybody that comes here for a better life, What I DO believe is that our rights as Americans should not be as easy as showing up one day on American soil. I believe that if you want all the freedoms and privileges of being an American Citizen, then you should in fact become an American Citizen. Thats all.
    Which side are you on? You are claiming to be on both.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I am REALLY confused. Did you change your mind? Before you wrote exactly the opposite:
    Why are you confused? Most states understand that there is a constitution, They understand that it is above them and that people have rights whether they like it or not. Some state governments could give a crap less about your rights and play by their own set of rules. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not. It doesn't matter whether it's right or not, It doesn't matter whether it's LEGAL or not. What matters is if you break their law, whether the technically had the ability to violate your right or not...YOUR STILL IN JAIL!!!! and quoting the constitution doesn't get you back out. Because the cop who arrested you, the lawyer who was supposed to defend you, and the judge who was supposed to obey the law and give you a fair trial..ALSO DON'T CARE!!! Maybe this is something that people from free states just simply can't grasp. But thats called reality. I moved out of a state like that., and because of that have gained my RKBA, If I move back. I will most likely LOOSE that right. My guns will most likely be confiscated and I'll be SOL.

You are claiming to be on both.
    I'm not claiming to be on both sides. Yes I agree that everybody should have the right to defend themselves. I also said that American Rights should be reserved for American Citizens. Move to this country, become a citizen, Welcome to America. I don't think thats a lot to ask.I have in VA the RIGHT to carry a weapon. If I move to MA. I do not. Yes I SHOULD, but I don't. I have to become a resident go through the paces and THEN I have it. I can't simply Stroll across the border with my guns and carry them just because I can at home. Doesn't work that way within the country. Why would that be the case for people moving from another? Just because you can do things in one place does not mean you can stroll from state to state country to country doing it because you want to. Whether you SHOULD be able to or not means nothing.

.... I have to become a resident go through the paces and THEN I have it. I can't simply Stroll across the border with my guns and carry them just because I can at home. Doesn't work that way within the country. Why would that be the case for people moving from another? Just because you can do things in one place does not mean you can stroll from state to state country to country doing it because you want to. Whether you SHOULD be able to or not means nothing.
    If you think that all a person has to do to move from another country to the US is 'stroll across the border' may I suggest you research what is actually required. Those of us who have done it know what is required. For me it was a 9 month wait from applying until I could actually join my then girlfriend and once we were married it was a further 2 years until I was granted permanent residence here.

If you want to campaign for legal residents to be denied the right to the protection of the 2nd Amendment, go for it .. just be sure to campaign just as verbally for legal residents to be denied the 'right' to be covered by the 16th Amendment too. Again, if anyone doesn't know what that is, I'm sure google will be only to happy to enlighten them

I admit that I was on the fence with this one.

At first I thought "No. They're not Americans." and I've seen many foreigners that I personally felt shouldn't have a gun. But then I started to think about it.

Should their rights to freedom of speech or freedom of religion be kept from them because they weren't citizens? No.

Should the police be allowed to unlawfully search and seize because they weren't citizens? No

Should they be given cruel and unusual punishments because they weren't citizens? No

So, if all that is true (IMHO), why should their 2A rights be taken away from them? I couldn't answer that.

So, I guess I would have to say that citizen or not, if they are here legally, they should be free to keep and bear arms.

However, if they are illegally in this country, they are criminals and should be treated as such.

6. No.
    The Constitution and BOR have jurisdiction on American soil. We hold aliens who come here accountable under our laws, and extend to them the Constitutional rights which we enjoy as citizens.

Essentially, we say to those who come here to live; "This is the way we live, as free men. This is the way we believe all men should live. All who live here among us will also live as free men."

If an alien is here legally, no problem. Let them have them. If an illegal, no.

Why are you confused? Most states understand that there is a constitution, They understand that it is above them and that people have rights whether they like it or not. Some state governments could give a crap less about your rights and play by their own set of rules. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not. It doesn't matter whether it's right or not, It doesn't matter whether it's LEGAL or not. What matters is if you break their law, whether the technically had the ability to violate your right or not...YOUR STILL IN JAIL!!!! and quoting the constitution doesn't get you back out. Because the cop who arrested you, the lawyer who was supposed to defend you, and the judge who was supposed to obey the law and give you a fair trial..ALSO DON'T CARE!!! Maybe this is something that people from free states just simply can't grasp. But thats called reality. I moved out of a state like that., and because of that have gained my RKBA, If I move back. I will most likely LOOSE that right. My guns will most likely be confiscated and I'll be SOL.

I'm not claiming to be on both sides. Yes I agree that everybody should have the right to defend themselves. I also said that American Rights should be reserved for American Citizens. Move to this country, become a citizen, Welcome to America. I don't think thats a lot to ask.I have in VA the RIGHT to carry a weapon. If I move to MA. I do not. Yes I SHOULD, but I don't. I have to become a resident go through the paces and THEN I have it. I can't simply Stroll across the border with my guns and carry them just because I can at home. Doesn't work that way within the country. Why would that be the case for people moving from another? Just because you can do things in one place does not mean you can stroll from state to state country to country doing it because you want to. Whether you SHOULD be able to or not means nothing.
    I think you said it a lot better than I did I guess. That was my whole point. A right isnt a right if you are not allowed by law to exercise it. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the bottom line. Maybe someday we will have the right but currently we do not (in some places). The way the SC does business, we will not live long enough for us to ever see it. Exercising your rights in some states will get your rights read to you. Then to bring up defending yourself in England. completely off point. I dont know if he understands we are not arguing against his utopian view of the RTBA and actually agree with him. It just isnt the way it is right now. It is only because we have the correct number of SC Justices that can actually read what the constitution says instead of applying their political or personal viewpoints. It could easily go the other way in the future. What happens then? What would the landscape look like if all the justices (or majority) felt that guns were to dangerous for the citizens? Would you still have a right to bear arms? I dont think so. You may still do it but.....
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

9. Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I think you said it a lot better than I did I guess. That was my whole point. A right isnt a right if you are not allowed by law to exercise it. Right, wrong or indifferent, that is the bottom line. Maybe someday we will have the right but currently we do not (in some places). The way the SC does business, we will not live long enough for us to ever see it. Exercising your rights in some states will get your rights read to you. Then to bring up defending yourself in England. completely off point. I dont know if he understands we are not arguing against his utopian view of the RTBA and actually agree with him. It just isnt the way it is right now. It is only because we have the correct number of SC Justices that can actually read what the constitution says instead of applying their political or personal viewpoints. It could easily go the other way in the future. What happens then? What would the landscape look like if all the justices (or majority) felt that guns were to dangerous for the citizens? Would you still have a right to bear arms? I dont think so. You may still do it but.....
    The OP was a simple yes or no question asking about people's personal opinions:

Should CCW permits be restricted to citizens only.

That's all it was.... just a dang yes/no what do you think question! Either YOU think CCW permits should be restricted to US Citizens or YOU don't!

We aren't talking about states do this or don't, or states recognize the constitution or not, blah, blah, blah....

The OP was a simple question about what YOU think, and then spawning discussion about why YOU think yes or no.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

That would be a yes from me then...just plain yes.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    What do you guys think?
    As opposed to...?
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast