What Would You Do? Waffle House Robbery - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do? Waffle House Robbery

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Every one with a gun in the Waffle house should draw and start firing at the bad guy. Imagine his surprise if a dozen people suddenly started raining bullets upon him from all directions. Then anyone not hit by the hail of gun fire can go back to eating their waffles. Let the paramedics sort through the bodies when they get there.
    I'd much rather have this happen at a bar where people's judgement and firearm skills are at their peak because of alcohol consumption. Hopefully a couple of folks are carrying their RPGs as well (probably in anticipation of overthrowing our brutally corrupt and opressive government). Then they can really blast the clown. If we're super lucky the perp will be a Supreme Court justice who voted "no" on allowing nukes in the hands of private citizens. That would be doubly-cool! Probably be a lot of collateral damage and casualties but heck, it's not every day you get to die like a hero! (or get killed in the crossfire of a couple of Rambo-Jrs).

Anyway, back to the original question.........being a typical sheep, I'd probably sit quietly and avoid eye contact as long as the perp didn't start shooting. I'd make every effort to place my hand on my pistol and have it at the ready in case of the dreaded worst-case-scenario. I guess I just don't have the balls to start a firefight in a situation where there's a high probability of bystanders being wounded or killed. Thankfully there are plenty of macho-men on this site who wouldn't hesitate to put the rest of us in a gloriously dangerous situation. Yeah, baby!!
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Not sure eating in a Waffle House is avoiding danger (food), with that said, keep eating and let their insurance handle the loss. Reaction has never beat action, hand the man your wallet, breakfast is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    OK, Detective McLane what are you going to do when he grabs the 17 yO waitress and tells you to drop your gun before he kills her?
    I agree with this. If I do act the only announcement he/she will get is "boom". There is no point in giving warning. If you pull your gun you feel that your life, or the life of someone else, is in immediate danger. Stop the threat, don't negotiate.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    "he will win in court and who shoots him will be in jail... unless maybe you are in TX, not even sure about that."

OZZ - I am happy to see Texas represented, thank you for the kudos. Keeping in mind this is another "what if" and can have a million outcomes, I will offer this:

Based on the fact that "the gunman shoots into the ceiling" on entering, he has elevated to the next level. Based on the fact, from the pictures, he causes people to lay down, that's another level. Based on the fact that he appears to be waving the gun around, he is not calm or methodical in his crime and is VERY dangerous. Since he has already discharged the weapon, I would suggest he would definitely discharge the weapon again if surprised - such as a person coming in the front door, or a dish or pan dropping on the floor and making a noise.
    For these reasons, I would draw my firearm and point it at him under the table (I always sit in a back booth so I can survey the entire area, not at the counter - you may wish to remember that where ever you are). If he cleans out the cash register and immediately leaves, fine. If he makes a move towards me, I'd drop him. If he makes a move with the appearance of killing someone else, I'd drop him. If he discharges the weapon again, I'd drop him.

And no worries about the results, he would not be testifying in court.
    In Florida once the gun comes out and the BG announces his intentions, the perp is a legit target.....even if you're standing behind him and you shoot him in the back. The presence of a threatening firearm changes everything. Yet another reason why (at least here in Fla) I'm not drawing unless I'm shooting. Once you draw you're potentially a legit target as well, especially if there are no corroborating witnesses.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

It’s an interesting post. Just a few thoughts, if this post was on an ACLU forum or similar site what would the responders say then? I think most posters on this site love their gun rights and freedoms. But what about the others who are eating in the waffle house. How many will stick around after you shoot the bad guy to tell the police you were doing the right thing and saved lives....how many would tell the police the bad guy was going to leave but you had to be Mr. Rambo? And hope the bad guy is the same race because then it will become a race issue. When there are shootings bystanders scatter so your needed witness might not be there to help you out when the police arrive. As for me I would sit still in the back booth as I always choose to sit and have my gun ready to use. If the BG pointed the gun at me or started shooting at a person then I would shoot. Because once he does that, I feel im the next to be shot or my wife and daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    An armed robbery underway and I'm sitting, standing or in the threat zone and packing..I'm not going to be passive a wait for the loon to split my wig or someone else's. I'm going code orange, finding cover, pulling my piece and announcing my intent to send the robber to the corners office. The next move on my part is based on the decision the armed robber makes. I'm not going to be a victim and I made a conscious decision to be permitted to carry, trained with my weapon and made that tough decision that I don't have any issue whatsoever of sending a bad guy to his grave.
    I too, sit in the best place to see everything and everyone. I also try to assess and re-assess situations continuously. Like others here, I believe there are to many variables to comment definitively. HOWEVER!

"IF" I do engage the threat, I will most certainly "NOT" give the BG any type of warning; or announce my presence in anyway whatsoever!

If all goes well, the BG will "NEVER" know I was there period!

Quote Originally Posted by viperman View Post
    It’s an interesting post. Just a few thoughts, if this post was on an ACLU forum or similar site what would the responders say then? I think most posters on this site love their gun rights and freedoms. But what about the others who are eating in the waffle house. How many will stick around after you shoot the bad guy to tell the police you were doing the right thing and saved lives....how many would tell the police the bad guy was going to leave but you had to be Mr. Rambo? And hope the bad guy is the same race because then it will become a race issue. When there are shootings bystanders scatter so your needed witness might not be there to help you out when the police arrive. As for me I would sit still in the back booth as I always choose to sit and have my gun ready to use. If the BG pointed the gun at me or started shooting at a person then I would shoot. Because once he does that, I feel im the next to be shot or my wife and daughter.
    It doesn't matter how many of them stick around. The BG was committing a forceable felony and deadly force is justified by law, YMMV according to state your in.

I just can't understand the mentality of "I'm going to wait until someone gets killed before I decide to act." Or even worse, "I won't act until I am directly threatened. I couldn't live with myself if I sat in the background and passed up a safe opportunity to act and another person was injured or killed because of my selfishness.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by viperman View Post
    Now this is really dumb!

The police don't care what the bystanders think. it is a matter of law not, a vote of bystanders. You are either legally justified or you aren't.

Robbers are the MOST dangerous of ALL criminals without exception!

There are an incredible number of robberies where someone is killed, even after handing over the money. That old model of just give them what they want doesn't work anymore...I suspect it rarely ever did work. This idea of "give them what they want" is a concoction of corporate liability beancounters (after all, employees are a low wage asset..easier to replace), and macho LEO "..be a good victim.." thinking.

I remember a rather interesting robbery in the Portland area. The robber got his money then on the way out, turned around and shot a teller thru the head. She died on the spot.

Sometimes they don't get enough money and kill someone out of anger. Sometimes they will kill after they got the cash because they are on drugs.

Sometimes the robbers are on a gang initiation thing and will kill someone just because they want to look good to their fellow gang-bangers. Their stature among their associates increases with this kind of thing.

Then there is always the POS who thinks that (despite all the cameras monitoring him) that he will get rid of any witness.

-Doc

I recently read an article about a guy who robbed the dollar store at 10:30 AM. They opened at 9:00 AM. The total take was $26. What are these people thinking?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    It doesn't matter how many of them stick around. The BG was committing a forceable felony and deadly force is justified by law, YMMV according to state your in.

I just can't understand the mentality of "I'm going to wait until someone gets killed before I decide to act." Or even worse, "I won't act until I am directly threatened. I couldn't live with myself if I sat in the background and passed up a safe opportunity to act and another person was injured or killed because of my selfishness.
    The key word here is SAFE. When the BG comes in with guns ablazing and you jump up like Rambo, John Wayne or Dirty Harry and pull your gun to start firing back what do you think the BG is going to be doing in the mean time. Too many think that just because they have seen it in the movies, on TV or read about it on the Internet that the BG is going to just stand there while you pull out your gun and fire away. Asess the situation and if it is safe for you to do something then please do it. I don't think there is anyone on here that won't if the need arises. Maybe the BG will just get his money and run without shooting anyone. I am willing to bet that he will more than I am that he will shoot someone while running out the door just for fun. In the OP I seem to remember that this was not the first time that he had pulled this same type robbery and hadn't shot anyone yet. I know there is a first time but don't give him that first time excuse trying to play hero. Use a little common sense. If someone is holding a gun on you then your chances of outdrawing them is low. There are many more cases of the person holding the gun winning than the one trying to draw although I did use to watch Matt Dillon do just that about every week.

If the BG does start shooting then all the rules change but don't you be the one forcing him to change the rules. Remember that once the shooting starts it probably is not going to stop until at least one person is dead and that one person could easily be you and it could be several innocent by-standers.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast